PDA

View Full Version : How do I manually copy updates and IE?

12-10-2001, 11:45 AM
I saw recently that someone opted to copy IE6 manually instead of using their install program, how?

When re-installing win98se and other peoples win95, of course, the first thing to do is windowsupdate, how can I copy these programs to disk to save me time and the hours of downloading?

Cheers
Scotty

12-10-2001, 12:36 PM
To manually download Window 98 updates go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

OR

Use the Windows Update feature, but before you go to Windows update, empty your Internet cache folders. Right click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and choose Properties. You can also get there by running IE and clicking on View > Internet Options. On the General tab under Temporary Internet Files, hit the Delete Files button. This will make it easier to identify and copy out the files that get downloaded from the update site.

Now, go to the Windows update site and download the updates that you want. During the download, watch the Temporary Internet Files folder (sometimes the updates are stored in the updates folder instead, C:\Program Files \WindowsUpdate \Cabs). You should be able to tell which files it is downloading to do the updates. They are *.cab files or *.exe files. Once the files have downloaded, copy them to a directory for storage. If you can't find them in the Temporary Internet Files folder, do a search for an msdownload.tmp directory on your PC after they have finished downloading, you may find them there.

12-10-2001, 05:46 PM
Download the IE6 setup file (its about 450k, so won't take very long) and run that. Agree to the license thing, then instead of choosing 'Typical' install, choose 'Custom or minimal' and click Next.
In the following window, select all the options you want to download, and click 'Advanced' (not Next!) and choose 'Download Only' and click Okay, then Next.
Now it should download the IE6 (all the options you selected to download) to a specific folder (which it will tell you) and once that's all done it'll be sitting on your hard drive.
Now you can go at any time to that folder and install (by running iesetup.exe or setup.exe, I can't remember which).
The files will stay in that directory until you move or delete them; setup will leave them there.

15-10-2001, 05:46 PM
Excellent, now that I've downloaded all the update files from the corporate site, how do I know which ones I should install first, second etc. I know it states that you need to instal y2k update before y2k update_2(obvious) but the others???

Cheers Guys