PDA

View Full Version : Trojans

12-10-2001, 08:33 AM
Hi
Yesterday I gave my PC one of its biweekly scans(I use PC-cillin 98) and it told me I have an infected file whose path is c:\windows\system\dialups. It said that file is infected with Trojan_PSW.Atomic and also that its uncleanable.
I tried to delete 'dialups' by following the path, but it wouldn't let me as it said that file is used by Windows. Now, I am in a situation where I know there's this Trojan inside my pc but dont know what to do.
Please help.
Thanks
Anoop

12-10-2001, 08:52 AM
Restart the computer at the MS-DOS prompt and delete the files while windows is not running. To change to the folder from the dos prompt type, 'cd\windows\system\dialups'
then type 'del filename.ext' (where filename.ext is name of file with extension) to delete a file.

Be Carefull! Windows may need these files to run so make a copy of them first.

12-10-2001, 09:01 AM
Trojan.PSW.Atomic (aka TROJ_FIX.36864) This destructive Trojan enables a hacker to access a user?s computer from a remote location thus compromising network security. It propagates via email.

To remove this trojan, first clean up your registry before running Trend antivirus software.

Delete the entry ?C:\Windows \System\1DialUps.exe? in the ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Current \ Version \ Run DialUp Security? registry key

Delete ?1DialUps.exe? in the ?Windows\System? directory of your drive C:\.

Do not open emails with the subject: ?MICROSOFT WINDOWS(0x800CCC210XC0) RUNTIME ERROR FIXTURE(Win9x/w2k)?, and the attachment, ?Fix210x.exe?

Scan your system with Trend antivirus and delete all files detected as TROJ_FIX.36864. To do this, download the latest pattern file and scan your system.

12-10-2001, 05:23 PM
Dont forget, we are supposed to be pro-norton at the moment :-)

All hail 'Norton Antivirus!'

12-10-2001, 07:47 PM
You crack me up, Dylan! ;-)