PDA

View Full Version : Cloning WIN7 Home Premium OEM

urbanguerilla
17-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Might be a bit of a silly question but...

Am I able to clone my dying Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 onto any Western Digital, Samsung etc HDD?

Would like to install it on a bigger drive... if I can, and not have 7 OEM tell me there is a hardware change and spit the dummy.

PENTIUM
17-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Make an image.

GameJunkie
17-08-2011, 11:55 PM
if its only the HDD your changing, i dont think it should/will spit the dummy.

wait for what others have to say first though

urbanguerilla
17-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I was gonna use Seagate Disc Wizard to clone it... just wondering if the software itself would only detect Seagate HDD's and nothingelse.

CYaBro
18-08-2011, 01:28 AM
:pf1mobmini:

CYaBro
18-08-2011, 01:29 AM
With either the western digital or Seagate Acronis tool you just need to have one drive of that nanufacturer. Doesn't matter if it is the source drive or destination for the clone.

:pf1mobmini:

dugimodo
18-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Should work fine, just dont delete the original untill it's all working.

pctek
18-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Am I able to clone my dying Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 onto any Western Digital, Samsung etc HDD?

Would like to install it on a bigger drive... if I can, and not have 7 OEM tell me there is a hardware change and spit the dummy.

Yes.
I'd use Active@
Windows won't care about an HDD change, even it it did, it will just make you reactivate.

I changed MB, CPU and RAM on one, wanted activation again but it accepted it.

18-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I was gonna use Seagate Disc Wizard to clone it... just wondering if the software itself would only detect Seagate HDD's and nothingelse.

or Try Seagates MaxBlast
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Really good, its based(is) on Acronos
If it says it cant find any seagate disks, then press alt t, alt o , at that message(tech over-ride)

Active@ also works really well, but Maxblast is freeware & wont disable after 2 weeks.

- Has anyone noticed that ghost still seems faster ?? (no good with Win7 though)

Terry Porritt
18-08-2011, 11:14 AM
or Try Seagates MaxBlast
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Really good, its based(is) on Acronos
If it says it cant find any seagate disks, then press alt t, alt o , at that message(tech over-ride)

Active@ also works really well, but Maxblast is freeware & wont disable after 2 weeks.

- Has anyone noticed that ghost still seems faster ?? (no good with Win7 though)

I do actually use Ghost 2002 to carry out a weekly clone of the C: partition on a sata 500GB Seagate to an identicle drive using a sata caddy.
However the system is Win7 Home OEM 32 bit, maybe it wouldn't like 64 bit.

The transfer speed varies as it copies but 3GB/minute would be average.

urbanguerilla
18-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Cheers for the replies people... now i live in hope that my current C:drive will last the duration of the cloning process!! gah!

gary67
18-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I do actually use Ghost 2002 to carry out a weekly clone of the C: partition on a sata 500GB Seagate to an identicle drive using a sata caddy.
However the system is Win7 Home OEM 32 bit, maybe it wouldn't like 64 bit.

The transfer speed varies as it copies but 3GB/minute would be average.

Have you tested any of these backups to see if they work Terry as Wainui told me that some of the earlier versions while appearing to work and make a backup actually fail when you go to restore them? You might be OK but always pays to check

18-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Ghost 2002 can clone the Win partition, it wont restore a bootable Win7 system .
May be wrong, but most of the older cloners arnt 100% Win7 compatable - leaves with a win that wont load.

gary67
18-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes which is why I use active@ and also since home premium will not backup over a network

Terry Porritt
18-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Reply to Gary and 1101.

There isn't really any 'restore' operation as such, but that is a matter of semantics I suppose. My main hard drive and the one I back up to by sector by sector cloning, not imaging, are both in caddies.

I can remove the main hard drive and plug in the back up drive, and that will run with a minor adjustment to the boot process using the OEM disk, because the change in hardware is detected. I do this periodically just to make sure everything is ok.

I can also clone back, ie restore or copy from the back up drive to the main drive. I test this also periodically. Either way, Ghost 2002 loaded on a Win98 boot CD works ok with 32 bit Win 7.

Terry Porritt
18-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Good oh still within edit time just put back up drive in, booted off OEM disk, clicked on repair computer, did I want to repair ? yes, clicked on repair and restart....bingo drive boots

I was within 15 minutes, but it ran out of time whilst typing this :)

So this is posted with the main hard drive replaced by the back up

I'll now put the original drive back because my Data partition is not up to date....

wainuitech
18-08-2011, 06:07 PM
In simple non technical English --- You'll find one reason its asking to repair windows is because the cloning software is not actually cloning the boot section of the OS correctly.

Windows 7 has a hidden 200-300MB partition and if that is not cloned correctly , which a lot of the older cloning software cant do, then you get boot errors and asked to do a repair.

If a drive has cloned correctly, you should simply be able to clone,and it boots straight away into windows esp if its back to the same hardware, then install any new updates etc since the original clone.

Active@ does this, some software doesn't. ;)

urbanguerilla
18-08-2011, 06:14 PM

wahh! I need not hear that!!

Currently sitting @ 18% of the cloning process using Seagate Disc Wizard.

I can hear my lil old drive sputtering away.... cmon lil buddy you know you can!!:stare:

wainuitech
18-08-2011, 06:17 PM
cmon lil buddy you know you can!!
:lol: Nice way to put it :thumbs:

Yes you can, yes,:wub you can do it, c'mon yes you can :D

Terry Porritt
18-08-2011, 06:21 PM
In simple non technical English --- You'll find one reason its asking to repair windows is because the cloning software is not actually cloning the boot section of the OS correctly.

Windows 7 has a hidden 200-300MB partition and if that is not cloned correctly , which a lot of the older cloning software cant do, then you get boot errors and asked to do a repair.

If a drive has cloned correctly, you should simply be able to clone,and it boots straight away into windows esp if its back to the same hardware, then install any new updates etc since the original clone.

Thanks for the heads up. As long as the repair process restores bootability then I'm happy.....I think....generally speaking....

wainuitech
18-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. As long as the repair process restores bootability then I'm happy.....I think....generally speaking.... On the rare occasion ( thankfully) when I have to put back a backup of my Windows 7, once (only had to do it 3 times) I had to put in the rescue CD and fix the boot loader.

I know why mine did it, it used to dual boot with Vista on a second drive, and now that vista has long gone, it doesn't have the hidden partition to fix its self.

One day :rolleyes: I'll get around to reinstall from scratch, but at the moment its humming along quite nice :D

Generally speaking (but not always) if a clone doesn't boot, the W7 Rescue CD will fix the boot loader and away you go.

urbanguerilla
18-08-2011, 06:36 PM
:lol: Nice way to put it :thumbs:

Yes you can, yes,:wub you can do it, c'mon yes you can :D

Weird it closed itself down @ 46% and told me the process was completed. That doesn't sound good...

wainuitech
18-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Are you cloning it from within windows or from a bootable CD ?

Does the "clone" boot ?

gary67
18-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks to Wainui for clarifying my question to Terry

Terry Porritt
18-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Are you cloning it from within windows or from a bootable CD ?

Does the "clone" boot ?

I'm cloning from a Win98 boot CD with Ghost 2002 installed on it.
The clone only boots after a "repair" using the install disc.
It takes very little time, and the system shows nothing untoward after the boot repair.

wainuitech
18-08-2011, 11:20 PM
4 Terry :)

re: "Does the "clone" boot ?"

I was asking urbanguerilla re the post/comment
"Weird it closed itself down @ 46% and told me the process was completed. That doesn't sound good... Sudden stoppage can sometimes be a bad sign esp if the original drive is failing or on its last legs :crying I say sometimes, because I have been cloning drives before, they get part way through at a percentage, then all of a sudden jump to 100%, the clone had worked OK, it was just cloning the data and then came to the empty space on the drive, so nothing to clone = 100%

urbanguerilla
19-08-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm at my wits end, 7 hours later and still no success with cloning or imaging!

I was starting the process from within windows, but it kinda reboots and then it starts the cloning process after the bios screen dump. And nope it doesn't boot at all...

Can't even repair the cloned data as Win7 doesn't detect anything.

Looks like it'll have to be a clean install solution for me.

while I'm at it I might just change my name tag to "SurrenderMonkey" :)

gary67
19-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I never clone from within Windows I found that way always stops. I use a boot disc as it works, is quicker and is still easy to do

wainuitech
19-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Try this -- Download the demo version of Active Live CD From Here (http://www.disk-image.net/download.htm) -- the link you want is in the middle of the page "Installer and bootable CD /USB" 147MB.

Install it on a PC, run it once it asks, make sure you have a blank CD. Follow the prompts, use the defaults ( they are fine).

Once made, attach USB Hard Drive to the PC to be copied, boot from the CD

Click Start/Programs/Disk Image

Click next when prompted
Click Continue when prompted about buying etc
Select Disk to Image
Full Backup
Select the Disk ( disk 0) (you will notice there are two partitions -all partitions will be selected you must have both ticked, by default it does this)
Follow though and save the image to the USB drive.

Once finished, turn off the PC, disconnect the original HDD, attach the New drive - start from the CD again, work through as before, this time select Image to Disk
Browse to the USB drive where the image will be
Select Disk 0 ( all partitions will be selected you must have both ticked, by default it does this)
Select the New HDD - Should be Disk 0- careful as the other will be the USB drive
Untick Keep Original Size bla bla
Delete all data on the HDD if it asks

Follow through and the image will be laid down on the new drive, once completed remove the USB drive, reboot, removing the CD as well and should boot straight into windows, it will require reboot once it detects the new drive.