PDA

View Full Version : Turbocad problem

Thomas01
17-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh dear - I thought I was doing so well learning this very difficult program but :-
When I try to draw a line now it always is either horizontal or vertical.
Nothing at an angle can be drawn unless I press the shift key.

Normally its the other way round - the line can be drawn at any inclination and if I want to control it then I must press the shift key for horizontal or vertical lines.

The setup I have managed to get is in fact much more convenient for me but I would like to know how I did it and how to get back to the "normal" mode.

Whenu
17-08-2011, 10:54 PM
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php

Might be some help here

Thomas01
18-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Whenu
I have tried several Turbocad Forums but they all seem a bit "odd" as does Turbocad.
My old program DCHoice always struck me as designed by draughtsmen whereas Turbocad seem to be a programmers effort bearing little resemblance to drawing office logic but nevertheless a powerful program capable of a great deal - once one has got the hang of it.

Within an hour or so of me starting this thread I had managed to sort things out. Simple once you know how.
To change from having the line completely free to be drawn at any angle - to having all lines vertical or horizontal only, then I have to use "Shift plus o" to go either way, and for a temporary change only, just press the shift key while drawing.
But trying to find that information in the manual is just about impossible - I tracked it down with the help files showing all keyboard controls - an amazing number of them, I had to read through the lot.
Why am I using such a complex program? Well I bought it years ago didn't I.
Just too tight fisted to give up on something I paid good money for.
Additionally I haven't been able to find a good program like DChoice (which is now rather dated). Still looking.

Whenu
18-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Draftsight from dassault Systems is a free 2d drawing program

Thomas01
18-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Draftsight from dassault Systems is a free 2d drawing program

Yep.
Got it in fact but haven't done more than try it out yet.
I will give it a go soon though.
I did find a very good simple program put out by a man and his daughters!
I liked it a lot but pointed out that it had no facility for symbols, therefore not acceptable in my book.
They were going to look into it.

Tony
18-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm no Turbocad expert, but I think you may have "ortho" selected in the snap modes. See the attached screenshot. Ortho is the icon in the bottom left hand corner that looks like a star.

HTH

Thomas01
19-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm no Turbocad expert, but I think you may have "ortho" selected in the snap modes. See the attached screenshot. Ortho is the icon in the bottom left hand corner that looks like a star.

HTH

I had already checked this out with no success - but see my final result on my previous post - it works well and I am much happier with the program now (Until the next problem).

Tony
19-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I use TurboCad 14, and there it seems that Shift + o toggles the ortho mode, so you will see the icon selected /non-selected. Then shift when drawing temporarily toggles it.

I know what you mean about it sometimes being hard to use, but I suspect that is (in my case anyway) because I actually don't use it that often. I've never used any of the other drafting tools. I don't know what AutoCad is like to use.