PDA

View Full Version : Advertising blurb in email.

12-10-2001, 12:56 AM
Everytime I open Outlook Express to write an email some advertising blurb appears at the bottom. How can I get rid of it please? Tried Regcleaner. Would be very grateful for some advice, - thanks.
Fritz

12-10-2001, 08:28 AM
This must be a signature.

Open outlook, and click on the tools menu, once that has appeared, go to the signatures tab. You will then be able to view, and remove the one(s) you don't want.

12-10-2001, 12:50 PM
If you are using a Hotmail account linked to OE, then it is a banner that MSN puts at the bottom of OE whenever you are viewing a Hotmail folder.
The bad news is you cant get rid of this banner, the good news is you dont have to waste your time downloading and looking at the ads. Download this file, and unzip it.
http://www.smartin-designs.com/downloads/hosts_127001.zip

Go into windows and find a file called HOSTS if it isnt there, then just copy the HOSTS file from the zip into c:\windows. If it is there, move it to c:\windows\hostsbak or something similar, copy any entries in the file and paste them into the downloaded HOSTS file which goes into c:\windows.
What happens, is everytime your computer sends a DNS request, windows first looks in its HOSTS file to see if it already has it, in which case the request is never sent. This downloaded file causes windows to think that just about every advertising URL, should be resolved to 127.0.0.1 which is your computer.
Now you should never have to look at another ad again ;-)

13-10-2001, 11:18 AM
Thanks Dylan & Ian for your response to my problem.Dyln's suggestion actually fixed it.I have tried different newsgroups,but find this one is the best,someone always seems to come up with the right answer.Thanks again to you both.