PDA

View Full Version : Xtra virus alert

prefect
16-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Getting quite a few of these from xtra:

Yahoo!Xtra Mail Virus Protection detected the virus 'WORM_Mydoom.DAM' in the file 'attachment.zip', attached to the enclosed email message. We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it. Therefore, we removed the content of the attachment from the message. Please contact the message sender if you want to receive the attachment. They must clean the file and resend it before we can deliver it to you safely.

How can I contact the message sender? If I right click properties of email addy it says xtra

Cheers
Collin.

dugimodo
16-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Good to see xtras virus filter actually does help.
Can you not see the original message and read the "from" field?
If it's something important from someone you know no doubt you'll figure it out, otherwise don't worry it's probably a spam E-mail or a chain letter or something. You could send a bulk message to all your friends in your address book warning them someone might have a virus if you're concerned.

When you view the properties there should be an option to view the header, if xtra have just stripped the attachment and forwared the rest you should see the address somewhere amongst all the other garbage.

16-08-2011, 10:45 AM
DO NOT try & open those suspect attachments, ever !!!!
DELETE THE WHOLE EMAIL, not just the attachment. Dont even try to open it.
Xtra should have removed the infected attachment anyway.
Dont rely on Norton for AV scanning.

DO NOT reply to senders of virus's, ever. If its someone you know , then phone them.

This is all just they way the internet works, a scammer/hacker sends out millions
of virus infected emails, just waiting for someone to open it.
Just ignore it, it will stop as the sender eventually gets shut down (& be replaced by a new sender of different virus's)

Gobe1
16-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Isnt Mydoom old school??

pctek
16-08-2011, 11:04 AM
We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it.

Nortons is hopeless.
Replace with either NOD32 (the best but not free) or MS Security essentials.(free).

Then add Spybot and Malware Bytes for antispywares, these need to be updated first, then a scan run at least once a week.

That will protect you far, far better than the sad Nortons.

prefect
16-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Nortons is hopeless.
Replace with either NOD32 (the best but not free) or MS Security essentials.(free).

Then add Spybot and Malware Bytes for antispywares, these need to be updated first, then a scan run at least once a week.

That will protect you far, far better than the sad Nortons.

Its not my AV finding the virus its xtra. I use MS Essentials.

prefect
16-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Good to see xtras virus filter actually does help.
Can you not see the original message and read the "from" field?
If it's something important from someone you know no doubt you'll figure it out, otherwise don't worry it's probably a spam E-mail or a chain letter or something. You could send a bulk message to all your friends in your address book warning them someone might have a virus if you're concerned.

When you view the properties there should be an option to view the header, if xtra have just stripped the attachment and forwared the rest you should see the address somewhere amongst all the other garbage.

Its just an email from xtra no other info so I dont know where it came from because they deleted it

PaulD
16-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Its just an email from xtra no other info so I dont know where it came from because they deleted it

They should have just deleted the whole lot. What's the point of sending spam with the virus removed?

mikebartnz
16-08-2011, 12:04 PM
They should have just deleted the whole lot. What's the point of sending spam with the virus removed?
If their ant-virus (Nortons) is as good as there spam filter it could mean you loose a lot of valid emails.

They said they striped the attachment so the rest should have been forwarded on with the original senders details but it doesn't surprise me that they stuffed it up.

gary67
16-08-2011, 12:49 PM
If i'm reading this correctly Prefect is receiving an email from Xtra saying they deleted an addon to an email and have emailed him to tell him they have. Are you also getting the email from which the attachment was deleted or just the email from Xtra?

inphinity
16-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Xtra normally attach the original message body to the virus notification.

prefect
16-08-2011, 02:44 PM
If i'm reading this correctly Prefect is receiving an email from Xtra saying they deleted an addon to an email and have emailed him to tell him they have. Are you also getting the email from which the attachment was deleted or just the email from Xtra?

The only email I get is from xtra no attachment with this

Yahoo!Xtra Mail Virus Protection detected the virus 'WORM_Mydoom.DAM' in the file 'attachment.zip', attached to the enclosed email message. We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it. Therefore, we removed the content of the attachment from the message. Please contact the message sender if you want to receive the attachment. They must clean the file and resend it before we can deliver it to you safely.

Yahoo!Xtra Mail successfully cleans most infected attachments, which protects you from viruses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I get the sender resend if stupid xtra dont tell me who sent the email?

16-08-2011, 03:06 PM
How can I get the sender resend if stupid xtra dont tell me who sent the email?

Why are you persisting with this ??? :badpc::badpc::badpc:
Do you really want to contact the hacker who sent this email.
Want then to resend the virus. ??
Want to confirm your email address to a spammer/hacker ??

The return address is quite probably spoofed, ie they often use fake return email addresses.

The WORST THING you can do, unless you really know what you're doing is to pursue this.

stu161204
16-08-2011, 07:27 PM
prefect want to know who sent it to him!, as you never know, it could well been from a friend.

Iantech
16-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought xtra/yahoo have teamed up with McAfee for their protection and the protection for their clients, not Nortons, all seems a bit odd to me.

mikebartnz
16-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Why are you persisting with this ??? :badpc::badpc::badpc:
Do you really want to contact the hacker who sent this email.
Want then to resend the virus. ??
Want to confirm your email address to a spammer/hacker ??

The return address is quite probably spoofed, ie they often use fake return email addresses.

The WORST THING you can do, unless you really know what you're doing is to pursue this.
You don't really know. Not everything that is tagged as a virus is actually a virus and unless he knows who it came from he has no way of ascertaining that.

wainuitech
16-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I thought xtra/yahoo have teamed up with McAfee for their protection and the protection for their clients, not Nortons, all seems a bit odd to me. They are :thumbs: Got a customers laptop here at the moment, its got ( had) Crapafee on it with xtra branding telecoms bla bla (http://www.telecom.co.nz/security) on it.

Of course the laptop is infected with many infections.

mikebartnz
16-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I thought xtra/yahoo have teamed up with McAfee for their protection and the protection for their clients, not Nortons, all seems a bit odd to me.
That might be what they are promoting for there customers but I think they are using Nortons on there servers.

PaulD
16-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Yahoo Mail is (also) using Trend Micro to scan attachments.

prefect
17-08-2011, 09:00 AM
prefect want to know who sent it to him!, as you never know, it could well been from a friend.
Ah someone who actually read my question
:)
Xtra email says contact sender, I am pretty sure they are picking up a false positive.
Why cant xtra say what the email address is then I would know.

gary67
17-08-2011, 09:28 AM

Which is what I was trying to ascertain whether Prefect was receiving the original email as well as the Xtra one

PPp
18-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Can you go online to look at your emails on the server. I remember doing this after I left Paradise(overlap), I was totally surprised to find all sorts of rubbish that was normally filtered out when downloading. You may be able to figure it out from there. ie sort by date, not received, contact, etc to narrow down the relevant email.

Agent_24
19-08-2011, 12:53 AM
What is all the talk of Norton? As far as I know they use Trend Micro now...

Fister
19-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Avira AV and Comodo firewall keeps most things out.