PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Performance

11-10-2001, 10:51 PM
My system (Win 98 SE ) is getting quite sluggish I think because of installing/uninstalling freeware and shareware programs. I have been told it is possible to reinstall windows without having to reformat and reinstall all programs ect. Is this so and could spmeone explain how to go about doing so .
Thanks R.K.

11-10-2001, 11:22 PM
If you re-install Windows over the top of itself, you will still have all the existing crud left on your hard drive.
It's probably better first of all to have a good clean out of all the temporary files etc, scandisk, defrag, and have a good house-clean. If after this your system is still sluggish then consider a clean install.

You could try loading the trial System Mechanic from the September CD to assist in this cleanup.

I know many people recommend a clean install every 6 months or so, but my system is still the original Win98SE from when SE first came out, and it's kept clean by various utilities and good housekeeping. I also play with freeware/shareware and in an average week will install/uninstall 3 or 4 programs. The windows directory after all this time is 321MB of which 20MB is a dumping ground for no longer used dll's etc.
Cheers

12-10-2001, 12:12 AM
You can install over the top of your current installation, but it wont remove any of the rubbish that is causing the problem.

Go for a clean install.

12-10-2001, 01:35 AM
you need to do a regular clean up of windows to flush out all the crud and junk that builds up if you want I can send you a disk of utilties that does all taht with very little effort or time also how much memory do you have 256megs is ideal more if you can afford it and now is the time to upgrade memory is only around $80 for 256 ram

12-10-2001, 12:54 PM
to do a clean install do this.
1 goto control panel and select add/remove programs and select create startupdisk/click create disk.
2. copy deltree.exe from the windows\command dir to your floppy disk
3. reboot your pc from the floppy
4. at the prompt type deltree c:\windows
5. this will wipe your windows dir ! so be sure
6. put your windows cd in cdrom drive and type cd e:(where is is your cdrom drive, it my be different on your system)
7 type setup follow the prompts to reinstall windows98

12-10-2001, 01:33 PM
Ron

If you want to avoid the full reinstallation drama, try the advice offered by Terry Porrit. It may be all you need. However, either way, clean up or new installation of Windows, once you have your computer working the way you want it, here's how to avoid ever having to do it again.

Buy a copy of Norton Ghost or other equivalent drive imaging program and make an image of your final working set up. Then if anything goes wrong and you have to reinstall your OS, you can dump the whole shooting match (OS, program files, settings etc) back in less than 30 minutes.

To get the best out of this you need to have all your data on a separate partition, or better again, a separate hard drive. Also you need to ensure that wherever possible Windows stores your preference files and email data on another partition or drive. I have a short list of files and directories that I copy to my second drive just before restoring and reinstall them afterwards to have absolutely everything on my computer exactly as it was after the original clean install.

Believe me, after enduring several monster crashes of W98 with all the drama of reinstalling programs etc, there is nothing like the ho-hum serenity that comes from knowing that it will all be back as it was after a short lunch break.

About the only extra thing you have to do is update your anti virus definitions as they will be out of date.

In addition to the clean OS/program files I actually cross-ghost both disks C to D and D to C regularly as part of my routine backup procedures so that at any time I have the full contents of both disks in two places as insurance against a hard drive failure.

Total peace of mind at minimal cost!

Billy 8-{)