PDA

View Full Version : Processor For PC: MS-7181 (Socket 940)

Dragonov
15-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi. I have an ancient PC, a Micro-Star MS-7181 (Socket 940) which up until yesterday only had a total of 512MB of RAM (it only has two RAM card slots, that had a 256MB RAM card in each one) but now has a 1GB RAM card in one slot (put in the other day) and the other slot has it's original 256MB card in it. Was hoping that by installing the 1GB card, the horrendously slow and "laggy" computer (which only has XP3 Home on it, and very little else in the way of additional software - just a decent firewall and a couple of good antivirus programmes plus Firefox, Thunderbird, and a pdf reader are the only "big(ish)" additions) would experience a dramatic increase in performance, but there is barely any discernible improvement at all! The RAM installation was successfully done and the PC has recognised the new RAM.

I know that this PC has got an extremely feeble processor (AMD Sempron 2600+) and used to run a small utility that showed in real-time what the processor was doing: the processor kept hitting "100%" capacity-usage when opening Firefox, T-Bird, and any other "big" programme, and it was, and is, a long wait to open these up as a consequence.

As said, was hoping more RAM might make some kind of difference, but it has'nt, (not even to any real increase in the speed that anything on the deck works) and so looks like the only way this old heap of a PC is going to show any performance improvement is if it gets a more powerful processor put into it.

Trouble is, I know nothing about processors and have no idea what precisely the replacement CPU should be as to it's type/designation. Have tried to research this on the Web but there is such a bewildering morass of arcane stuff all over the place have given up as am not a Tech, and am hoping that someone on this NZ PC World Forum will know exactly what CPU is needed to improve the performance of the creaky old MS-7181.

Many thanks. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The Error Guy
15-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Are you sure its a socket 940? 940 is one of the new sockets. The CPU is probably 940 Pin.

The Error Guy
15-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Have a look at this: http://au.msi.com/product/mb/K8MM3-V.html#?div=Detail

It states socket is 754

You could get one of these, http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=64368 the Sempron is 1.6GHz with 128KB L2 Cache. The 3600 is 2.2Ghz

At $35 thats quite a steal. Good old tech is cheap which is good I guess

Dragonov
15-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Hullo, Error Guy! Thanks very much for your response. Error Guy, the "Socket 940" is from (Piriform) "Speccy"!!!

Have just installed "Everest" (System Analyses Programme) and it says nothing about "Socket 940" anywhere that can be discerned, but it does have the following to say about the CPU:

CPU Properties:

CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1600 MHz (8 x
200) 2600+

CPU Alias Palermo (Venice-128)
CPU Stepping DH-E6
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
L1 Data Cache [ TRIAL VERSION ]
L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 754 Pin uOPGA
Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
Transistors [ TRIAL VERSION ] million
Process Technology 9Mi, 90 nm, CMOS, Cu, SOI
Die Size [ TRIAL VERSION ] mm2
I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V
Maximum Power 67.0 W

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

The Error Guy, where in the above list it occasionally says "TRIAL VERSION" well that is because for some mysterious reason in Everest (which if you are not familiar with it, is a heck of a big programme with respect to the sheer amount of information it provides about computers and their OS's) they omit here and there a few bits of "readout" information and to get all the information you have to pay for their "Pro" version!!!

Hope the above is sufficient to provide you with enough info to know exactly what kind of CPU is on the motherboard. Sure hope that the above means that the $35.00 processor you listed is the one to obtain for it, as have got a meagre "budget" and the RAM has given it a big thump!

Incidentally, Error Guy, putting that RAM in the other day was the first time I have ever tried installing any component into a computer (I took a lot of precautions to try and guard against static electricity such as using a proper Wrist-Strap) and it was quite nerve-wracking! During research about RAM installation on the Web had come across a very good article which amongst plenty else, said that the RAM slots should have numbers or some kind of identification by them on the motherboard to show what order in which to put new RAM sticks into them. But I could see nothing at all around them, and so ended up having to hope for the best, and just levered-out one of the old sticks and shoved the new RAM into that slot. When the computer was afterwards booted up, there was no indication at all that new RAM had been installed, and it was only upon opening up "Speccy" that verification of it's installation could be seen. It also is shown in the XP3 "System Properties".

However, having only just installed Everest (to get a better look at everything) was somewhat taken aback to see this in the RAM section:

DIMM1: Infineon HYS64D32000GU-7 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 142 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

DIMM2: Kingston K [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Annoyingly, they have blocked most of the Kingston details (the new 1GB RAM is the Kingston) but where it says "DIMM2", does that mean I have put it in the wrong slot? Should the RAM sticks be put into each others' slots?

Finally Error Guy, is it easy to remove an old CPU and put a new one in? I found the RAM very difficult to put in, the slot-levers were in a horribly awkward-to-get-at position at one end of the (two) slots and this made it far harder to do than would have been the case if the manufacturer had let you have some room for your hands!

Apologies Error Guy for the pretty massive amount of writing here, but as earlier said, am not a Tech and so am trying to provide as much information as possible by cutting-and-pasting and trying to describe things as well!

Thanks Error Guy and NZ PC World.

Dragonov
15-08-2011, 01:45 PM
PS: Just to clarify a point: in the first post said that the "PC recognised the new RAM". What was meant is that although there was no indication anywhere that could be seen all the way through the post-installation bootup that RAM had been installed, went looking for it in Speccy first, where it was shown, and then in the XP3 "system" apps and found it shown in "System Properties" - so thought this counted as "Recognition". Does it? Or should something have happened when booting up to make it obvious that a new component had been installed?

Cheers!

inphinity
15-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Right-click My Computer, go to Properties, it will show the amount of RAM available to Windows.

Honestly, Socket754 is painfully old. If you really need a bit more life out of it, try and get hold of an old Athlon64 3000+, 3200+ or 3400+. The Venice-core A64 3400+ is the fastest 754 CPU released (though some would argue the Mobile A64 4000+ holds this title), but it's 6 years old now so you'll struggle to find it new anywhere. Be aware there are Socket939 versions of these CPUs as well, so be sure you're getting a Socket754 edition.

dugimodo
15-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Swapping a CPU is relatively easy if you take a bit of care, you need to unhook the metal clips from the plastic socket, gently twist the heatsink to break the grip of the heatsink paste and lift it free. Then you just release the lever, swap the CPU, and reverse the process. If reusing the heatsink or if the new one doesn't come with paste preapplied you will need to apply a small amount of thermal paste after cleaning the old stuff off thouroughly, isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel works fairly well.

An Athlon is much faster than a sempron, and the clock speed is higher too so if you can get the one linked it should be noticeably quicker. It's not on this list I found http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K8MM3-V_(MS-7181_V2.0).html but it should work. Eidt: yes it is the error guy tricked me by writing 3600, it's a 3400

However with hardware that old quicker is relative, meaning it will still be quite slow compared to modern computers.

A good clean out of your PC might help more, or as much. You mention more than 1 antivirus?? not both installed and running together I hope. If so you should remove one. Download and Run CCleaner to remove junk files, go through the add remove programs list and uninstall anything you don't use. Check your C: drive, if it's low on space it will slow the pc down (although the last 2 steps would fix that). Try and keep multitasking to an absolute minmum.

15-08-2011, 03:18 PM
DONT WASTE YOUR $$ on a CPU, unless you find a really cheap one on trademe.
Upgrading the CPU wont solve your issues - honestly.
The CPU will not be the bottleneck on that old PC, for what you are doing.
The CPU is running at 2Ghz.... but
Ram & HD are running at 1/100th the speed of the CPU (sort of)
Try a faster Hard drive, that may give better results re program startup times.
Also a Wipe & reload can do wonders for Windows speed.
Are you using Norton by any chance

silk purse from a sows ear anyone ??

15-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Edit (from above)
I have a CELERON 1Ghz PC in the workshop now. Its speed is just fine(in XP), despite being a much older & slower CPU than yours. Its a 10 year old PC !!!.
Its not all in CPU speed, especially on older PC's .

Just be reasonable in what you expect though - this is alot of the problem now I'm starting to have to deal with more often now, than say 2 years ago.

zqwerty
15-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah there's something else wrong, post a Hijackthis log here

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Get the 2.0.4 version

Dragonov
16-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Hullo inphinity, dugimodo, 1101, and zqwerty: your posts are very much appreciated. inphinity, you say the PC is "painfully old". I'll say it is!!! However, it is going to have to do for the forseeable future as only live in temporary digs and if I leave am going to have to leave the computer behind. This is one of the primary reasons a much better PC is not an option, unfortunately. The reason for my original posts on the NZ PC World Website was because of bitter disappointment at how little improvement in the operation of the PC more than doubling the RAM made (there is actually some increase of speed in some areas such as Firefox opening up a bit faster, but overall the result is horribly disappointing) and so was trying to find out why the extra RAM has been so ineffectual, and also if a better CPU might help. You guys are the experts, so what you guys say is paid very close attention to, and all your links are gone to as well (some fascinating stuff from those links). It looks like very little can be done to make the antiquated fossil I have got (1101 it is at least 6-7 years old so is catching up to your one!!!) do much more than it can do now. Had to laugh, dugimodo, when you advised not to do too much multitasking! dugimodo, I can barely even unitask on it!!! (hey, the RAM has made one significant improvement, and that is when typing: it used to "stick" all the time when typing and letters in words were always failing to appear on the page due to the"lag". Ever since the new RAM has been installed have had virtually no lag any more, so there actually IS something to show for putting the RAM in!).

Thanks again everybody, it is very kind of you all to help. Thanks also to NZ PC World - great Website.

P.S: zqwerty - have you read "1984" by George Orwell? It is a fabulous book. Cheers!

zqwerty
16-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, when I was a child.

PENTIUM
16-08-2011, 02:50 PM
I have had quite a bit to do with this board and the Sempron processor. In fact I currently have one of these units under the bench ready for disposal.
This is waht you do:-
First FDISK and reformat your hard-drive, then reinstall the software.
It will motor along quite briskly afterwards. Do not load it up with too many defences, Free versions of Avast and SuperAntispyware should be quite adequate.
Windows XP 32bit does not need more than 1GB DDR and can even slow down with more.

16-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Windows XP 32bit does not need more than 1GB DDR and can even slow down with more.

+1
Can confirm this. Some older PC's run slower with 2G
Your PC needs to be reloaded, from scratch

Dragonov
17-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Hullo All: did a complete reformat/reinstall (with great reluctance as had the XP3 fully updated and all of the Antiviruses had massive update cache's as well: my favourite Antivirus is Ad-Aware but it takes HOURS just to install because it needs to do, upon installation, absolutely massive amounts of updating. Am on Dial-Up though, it would probably be virtually instantaneous on high-speed Broadband) and the System is noticeably faster, but still could not be described as "Very Fast". Have re-read all your replies many times now to get as good an idea of what chance there would be of making the computer "go" better, but some people are saying shove a better Processor in, while others are saying it is a waste of time and will make no difference!

New Zealand is a very bad place to get computer gear, foreigners cannot believe the prices that are charged for such stuff here (in the USA a stick of Kingston RAM is $15.00, here it is nearly $80.00 ( yes there is an exchange differential but it is NOT very much at all) unless you can find it second-hand like I did, but with freight included it was nearly $50.00): there are people trying to sell on TradeMe ancient CPU's (and all sorts of other obsolete computer parts and computers) for staggering prices. There are people trying to sell exactly the same model of computer that I have got!!! This gear is totally obsolete JUNK and was obsolete junk YEARS ago!!!

Thanks again everyone. Incidentally, zqwerty - are you Russian?

dugimodo
17-08-2011, 02:08 PM
A faster CPU will make a difference, but it's impossible to say if it would be enough to satisfy you. The machine still won't be fast, just a bit faster than it is.

Yes I agree there are ridiculous prices on trademe, I hope no one actually pays that much. I have given away hardware similar to what you're using before, seems too old to even try to sell to me. A lot of people just don't realise how fast the PC they spent thousands to buy loses Value. PC's have to be one of the worst items for this.

Dragonov
17-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi dugimodo. Yes, the prices being demanded all over the place are absolutely horrendous - you would fall over if you knew what I paid for my ancient fossil of a thing (there is a local "computer repair man" who sells hideously obsolete junk like mine for hundreds of dollars to technologically ignorant suckers like me!!!) - got it only one year ago for $500.00!!! He sucked me into shelling out another fifty bucks for an ancient Hewlett-Packard Printer from the early/mid 1990's!!! It is completely useless and has never been able to be made to print a single thing!!!

Dugimodo, on TradeMe there is this CPU available for $28.00:

Socket 764 AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Is this a good one? Also, when you say that a better CPU will make a difference, but the degree will depend upon what is expected or wanted, do you mean that to a non-Tech like me a better CPU will still make a noticeable difference improvementwise? The new RAM has not made much difference, although have to admit that things in the OS ARE working in various areas substantially better than they used to, such as opening faster, etc.

Cheers dugimodo.

Dragonov
17-08-2011, 02:53 PM
P.S. dugimodo: I once read that there is no other product that depreciates faster than computer gear: the article said that basically, the moment you walk out of the shop with your brand-new computer it has already halved in value! From then on also, the rule in places like the USA and Europe is that from that moment onwards that brand-new computer, which already immediately has halved in it's resale value, will be halved that value again after one year. That figure will halve again after one more year. In Europe and USA and China any computer more than two years old is regarded as rubbish-tip material.

zqwerty
17-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Central African actually, Northern Rhodesian, if you saw "Blood Diamonds" Leonardo de Caprio is playing a Southern Rhodesian.

17-08-2011, 06:11 PM
There are people trying to sell exactly the same model of computer that I have got!!! This gear is totally obsolete JUNK and was obsolete junk YEARS ago!!!

Hi there, your words.
Youve described the main issue.
A 1.6Ghz (Sempron 2600+) PC really isnt worth the cost & effort of trying to upgrade it

Seems your CPU is only 1.6 or 1.8Ghz (I think), so it isnt fast, but usable .
If you can get a 3Ghz CPU & if thats supported by your motherboard, that might be a upgrade option, just dont pay too much for it. I suspect your PC just isnt worth spending money on.
You need to almost double the CPU speed to see a worthwhile speed increase. Since your CPU is slower than I 1st though, a replacement 2.8Ghz-3Ghz CPU might be worthwhile, just dont expect miracles. Your have other bottlenecks on that PC.

Ive seen Hard drives go bad & cause the PC to run really slow, so that may need to be replaced as well. Unfortunately you wont know untill you try.
Have a look at PBTech & some of their ex-lease PC's. That may be a easier option.

Good luck.

dugimodo
18-08-2011, 08:48 AM
The CPU you found "should" be quite noticeably faster. I don't like to say "will" be as there are no guarantees, especially from trademe. Athlons are faster than semprons, and it's a higher specced model as well. Sempron is AMD's answer to celeron if that helps.

It's a risk you have to decide for yourself, how much to spend attempting to make this PC adequate knowing it may never be fast enough. A whole system upgrade would cost hundreds so maybe it's worth spending a little, your call.

Dragonov
18-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies, it is great to be able receive your advice: you guys have been helping me to be able to get a much better idea of the pro's and cons of trying to do the PC up any more: it sounds like it is similar to trying to make a Morris Minor into a Hot-Rod! 1101, yes the CPU that is in it is: AMD Sempron 1600 MHz (8 x 200) 2600+

Also 1101 the Hard-Drive is often very noisy: sometimes it sounds like a vacuum cleaner! It makes a loud droning/whining noise, but often it can be very quiet too. I have been suspicious of it's stability for a long time. Have done a lot of OS reinstalls and frequently have to do multiple reinstalls to get a stable OS, but perhaps the culprit also could be the CD/DVD Drive which is not in great shape. Sometimes maybe it does not "read" the Installation Disc properly (?). Some peculiar things can happen when playing music cd's on it, it can jump and do things like that but with no consistency, it always is completely random such as "jumping" in one place, but not jumping there when the track is played again.

Will go and check out PB Tech, but the precarious living circumstances I am in really do make getting a better computer not worthwhile, because if I leave have no way to transport anything or store it while looking for new digs.

zqwerty: I thought you might be Russian because you are a "straight-to-the-point" type of person like they are; they tend to be very economical with words and are very thoughtful. No, have not seen "The Blood Diamond" but will try and get the DVD. It must have been pretty adventurous living in Africa! It would be far too exciting for me! zqwerty, I know I'm getting way off topic, but thought you might be interested in the following website (which is a very good news website):

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20101123/161468072.html

Thanks again everyone, it is great to be able to "talk" to you guys - you have helped me to be able to get a far better idea of what the possibilities for the PC I have are (practically none!!!).

Dragonov
18-08-2011, 09:02 PM
That was pretty badly written, so will say what was meant is that there does not appear to be much expansionary potential for the ancient motherboard of my PC!!!

Again, thank you everybody.

zqwerty
18-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I've had a fair number of drinks with Russians at the British Hotel in Lyttelton, also met a few in normal life, tough, hard bitten but generally aware and fair.

Dragonov
19-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks zqwerty: I am a very strong admirer of the Russians and know that what you say about them is true. They are very good "Mates" if you make friends with them and show them that you do not have surreptitious, bad intentions towards them. They have always been renowned throughout Europe for their honesty. They are all deeply religeous (Russian Orthodox) but most of them insist they are "atheists"!
I love them, but they can be scarily intelligently blunt! Russians do not beat around the bush, and they rapidly lose patience with anyone who does!

zqwerty here is another Russian website you might like: it is Russian Spetznaz War Veterans from the Afghanistan, Chechyen/Ingushetian/Dagestinian Wars:

http://acidcow.com/pics/9328-russian-spetsnaz-veterans-49-pics.html

zqwerty, when next you see your Russian friends again please tell them that not everyone in the American/English empire has been able to be brainwashed into hating the Russians. Please say to them: "Za Rus!".

Dragonov
20-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Help! More computer trouble: have just had to do another OS reinstall because of weird stuff happening (am getting totally sick of it, and am going to buy Linux Ubuntu if there is any more trouble with XP3: obtained on TradeMe a "Linux Mint" installation CD and gave it a go, but bailed out because it did not "tell" you what it was doing. There was no indication anywhere that anything at all was happening. The Linux websites are an insanely complicated nightmare for non-Geeks, but have read a fair bit about the latest Ubuntu and according to the Geeks who are doing the writing, Ubuntu is a "user friendly" version of Linux. Is this correct?) - cannot install the VLC Player from my USB Drive, and cannot install it by newly downloading it from CNET and the VLC website. Every attempt to install the programme results in a popup saying it cannot be installed because "you may not be authorized or have administrator's rights" (or words to that effect). Am unable to install MOOo stuff either such as the "System Monitor".

Also, was not happy to see in the USB Drive that a lot of the Firefox bookmarks backups had had their icons changed to Internet Explorer icons.

Why are these things happening? Out of sheer desperation have reinstalled the OS and am in the process of trying to update Ad-Aware (which has, as usual, had to be started all over again due to yet another Internet connection breakage) which is going to take all day (or even longer if the link keeps breaking).

Somebody please tell me that the latest Linux Ubuntu is "friendly" to even non-Geeks! Will with exceeding speed try and get an installation disc for Ubuntu if you guys on the NZ PC World Forum advise to install it.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2011, 04:42 PM
You dont have to buy Ubuntu, you can download / then burn it. Its free. Most linux distros are free

Dragonov
22-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Hullo Speedy Gonzales: I only have got Dial-Up and it is horrible! Connection breakages are practically a daily event, and usually multiple breakages. It would be virtually impossible to download Ubuntu on Dial-Up. After spending hours waiting for Ad-Aware to install the other day, the connection broke and the installation had to be started all over again. Ad-Aware is a heck of a lot smaller than Ubuntu! There is a guy who sells Linux on TradeMe and have (last night after yet another morass of trouble with the OS) ordered an Ubuntu installation cd from him. Cheers Speedy Gonzales.

Agent_24
22-08-2011, 10:16 AM
You can download large files if you use a download manager with resume function, but it would still take several days.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2011, 10:24 AM
You in NZ Dragon?? Maybe someone here can send you a copy, if you are

Dragonov
23-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Agent_24 and Speedy Gonzales. Yes, Speedy Gonzales, am a NZ-er. Thank you for your advice about obtaining Linux Ubuntu, but have already purchased the CD's and am waiting for them to arrive in the post.

Agent_24, even with a Downloader it would be a soul-destroying operation that would have no real chance of success.

Appreciate your Posts you guys.

Dragonov
23-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Agent_24: My (above) reply was not well worded. The thing is, Agent_24, is that on my computer no programme bigger than 60MB (as an actual download) has ever functioned correctly; they all are damaged in some way and malfunction. Am with an ISP now that lets you download any sized files (if you can!) but the previous ISP had a four-hour "connection limit" where if you stayed online for four hours they would cut your connection and make you log-on again.

Firefox has got a "Pause" facility in it's Downloading system, but after "Pausing" many attempts at various downloads bigger than 60MB, in order to log-on again and continue the download, nothing that did get downloaded worked properly.

Ad-Aware is different, it needs upon installation, hours to update itself. But even so, the last attempts to download and install newer versions of Ad-Aware (luckily have got the good old original download on a USB Drive) have failed - there was something wrong with them.

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
23-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I never use Firefox's pause feature. A proper download manager like Free Download Manager or GetRight is what you need in situations like this, as they are designed to handle interruptions beyond your control.

Try one of those and you may find your download success is much higher.

Dragonov
25-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Howdy Agent_24: thank you for the information - have only ever once, long ago downloaded a "download manager" programme, but it did not make any difference. However, not knowing anything about them, I just grabbed one off a free download website, and that programme could have been a dud as there is quite a lot of bad software on most of those websites (used to download masses of different programmes of all sorts of types from these websites, but had so many horrendous experiences eventually became absolutely paranoid about downloading just about anything! Agent_24 will go and look for "Free Download Manager" and "GetRight" to give them a go. Cheers!

Agent_24
25-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Free Download Manager is free, and works well, although I prefer Getright's interface and features. However Getright is not free.

Remember you can only resume successfully from servers which support resume.

Servers where you must wait in a queue etc can also be problematic. If you wish to pause and resume downloads from them you usually need to go through the queue process again, then when the download starts point the manager at the partially-downloaded file and it should ask if you want to continue.

Getright usually works that all out by itself when the download is launched for the 2nd time, which is why I like it.

You can get a 30 day trial of Getright for free, you might want to try that out and see how it goes.

I've been about 95% successful resuming files with Getright back when I had dial-up. However if you still get issues even with a download manager, you may have some kind of modem problem or something.

Dragonov
26-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Thank you for your latest post Agent_24: have downloaded "Free Download Manager" - it looks very complicated! Will try the trial version of "GetRight" because I will need something that is as user-friendly as possible, and which does all the brainy stuff automatically! My modem is a fax modem, but have checked out it's credentials on the Web and it is apparantly a very high-quality modem.

Agent_24, am getting radically off the original topic, but I spent just about forever trying to find a good, instantly accessible dictionary. After literally months of hunting, finally found these two absolutely fantabulous dictionaries (they "live" as Quick-Launch icons by the clock) - I have them both, because The Sage is more like a "word encyclopedia":

file:///C:/Program%20Files/TheSage/Help/help.html

(The Sage is awesome - it is HUGE: it has got miles of customization settings so you can "tune" it like a piano!!!)

http://wordweb.info/free/

I love Wordweb, but unfortunately with the free version you cannot add words and information/definitions to it's archives. But the free version is still mind-bogglingly excellent.

Finally, if anyone is looking for a very nice one-click replacement Clock/Calender (especially to replace the horrible Microsoft thing) then try this:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Clocks-Time-Management/LClock.shtml

It is very good-looking and you will love it. It was created by a young Chinese Geek when he was doing his Geek apprenticeship.

Many thanks again Agent_24 and thanks to all the Geeks at NZ PC World (NZ PC World is one of the best Tech Forums/Tech Websites on the entire Web).

Dragonov
27-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Better add this about L-Clock: have had to do another XP3 reinstall after an attempt to install Ubuntu alongside XP3 went horribly wrong. Anyway, after configuring the newly installed XP3 the first thing I install (from a USB Drive) is Comodo Firewall. When a bit later (last night) the stage was reached to install L-Clock, Comodo stopped me by warning that L-Clock has got a "global hook" (or some kind of "hook") in it, and Comodo said do not install it. Comodo has never done this before (although Comodo always warns that L-Clock is not digitally signed) and it looks as if Comodo has received from the Comodo Server new information about L-Clock. So it might be an idea not to use L-Clock after all until more information about it is found out.

Agent_24
27-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Your L-Clock program is probably OK. If it replaces the system clock then I guess it needs to 'hook' to enable it to do so properly.

The thing is a lot of malware\viruses also use hooks to do things, which is probably why Comodo is alerting you to that. And yes they do change their detection stuff a lot too. I would ignore it, if you think the program is OK.

What went wrong with your Ubuntu installation?

Dragonov
28-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Hullo Agent_24, thank you for your assessment of the situation and your advice: have been researching L-Clock and it is obviously a very popular little application all over the world! However,there are quite a lot of people expressing concern about how it tries to communicate with the Web. A Polish guy reckons that it does this in a devious fashion! A "Spyware Analyses" website has a technical report on the L-Clock which says it has "Windows Hooks" and "Global Hooks" and that it is a "Keylogging Monitor" (amongst other things, such as a Process Monitor, Startup Monitor, System Monitor... so Agent_24 this is spyware isn't it?). However, Agent_24 a Tech on one website said basically the same thing as you: that if you like the L-Clock/Calendar then keep it, but just tell your Firewall to block it's access to the Web.

Agent_24, about the attempted Ubuntu 11.04 install: everything went fine until the "Formatting" page was reached - could not see any "Slider" to set the Partition-Size (Ubuntu tells you to use the "Slider" but it is not there!). Had to continue on and hope for the best. Then the "Keyboard" page was reached. Ubuntu wants you to tell it what kind of keyboard you have got and there is a big list of different "types" of keyboard. Had no idea what my keyboard was, so tried writing in that long narrow "Fount Sampling Panel" hoping that would make Ubuntu able to "know" what my keyboard was, but it didn't work. Ended up having to continue without this being resolved. Then ran into trouble with the "Time/Date/Region" area, but was pretty demoralised by then anyway because of the previous failures and doubted if the OS would even install properly (if at all). Had already decided to try and use the "Formatting" programme on the old Windows XP3 installation disc to try and wipe the Ubuntu Partition.

However the Ubuntu installation process not only fully completed, but the OS seemed to function glitchlessly well, which was amazing! But having said that, there were virtually no on-board programmes and instead you seemed to have to download just about every programme that even a basic desktop would need, from the Web!

Agent_24, this would not have bothered me too much, if it hadn't been for the fact that nowhere "On-Board" could be found a Firewall: hunted everywhere, again and again (which wasn't very hard to do as the "Desktop"/surface OS had very little to it anyway other than looking pretty and with folders of long lists of programmes that were not even included with the OS) but could not find one at all.

So that was "it". Will never go near the Web without a Firewall, so shut everything down and dragged out the Windows XP3 installation disc (which is incredibly useful) and with it was able to remove Ubuntu.

Agent_24, fully intended to have another go at installing Ubuntu again, but only after trying to solve on the Web, beforehand, the installation problems that were encountered. So far this has not been successful, and in fact, at one stage signed up at an Ubuntu Forum website - and there are heaps of them - to try and obtain advice, and was met with torrent of maniacal abuse by the first respondent, and a kind of smirking "ha ha ha, we know about Ubuntu, but that idiot doesn't" from the next one!

Birds of a feather indeed flock together but the absolutely last place I expected to encounter a bunch of jerks was in the Geek community!

Agent_24, have you got a Linux OS?

Cheers Agent_24, thank you again, and to all the other very nice dudes here on NZ PC World, for your very generous help and advice.

Agent_24
29-08-2011, 02:53 AM
However,there are quite a lot of people expressing concern about how it tries to communicate with the Web. A Polish guy reckons that it does this in a devious fashion! A "Spyware Analyses" website has a technical report on the L-Clock which says it has "Windows Hooks" and "Global Hooks" and that it is a "Keylogging Monitor" (amongst other things, such as a Process Monitor, Startup Monitor, System Monitor... so Agent_24 this is spyware isn't it?).

I don't see why a clock needs to communicate on the Internet, unless it's checking for version updates or synchronising the clock with an NTP server. That does sound a bit weird. Of course you can just block it in the firewall, though.

Their definition of Keylogging could include programs which use hooks to check for keyboard shortcuts that allow the program to perform certain tasks. Would be interested to see this website and if their spyware analysis claim makes sense...

Agent_24, about the attempted Ubuntu 11.04 install: everything went fine until the "Formatting" page was reached - could not see any "Slider" to set the Partition-Size (Ubuntu tells you to use the "Slider" but it is not there!). Had to continue on and hope for the best. Then the "Keyboard" page was reached. Ubuntu wants you to tell it what kind of keyboard you have got and there is a big list of different "types" of keyboard. Had no idea what my keyboard was

Can't help you a great deal with the partition-size slider as I do my OS installs differently (set up partitions manually before installing anything) but for the keyboard just choose USA as most keyboards in NZ are USA style.

there were virtually no on-board programmes and instead you seemed to have to download just about every programme that even a basic desktop would need, from the Web!
-------------------------------------------------
(which wasn't very hard to do as the "Desktop"/surface OS had very little to it anyway other than looking pretty and with folders of long lists of programmes that were not even included with the OS)

A standard Ubuntu install does come with the basic programs you need, OpenOffice suite, Web browser, Email, IM chat, etc If these programs were not installed either the installation went wrong or the disc you've got is some kind of minimal install disc without software but the bare OS.

Which version did you get? where did you get it from? What was it advertised as?

These 'long lists of programmes' - where were they? The program menus etc only contain programs which are actually installed. The 'Software Center' and 'Synaptic Package Manager' show all programs available, not just the ones already installed.

nowhere "On-Board" could be found a Firewall: hunted everywhere, again and again (which wasn't very hard to do as the "Desktop"/surface OS had very little to it anyway other than looking pretty and with folders of long lists of programmes that were not even included with the OS) but could not find one at all.

I believe Ubuntu does come with a firewall but if you want a GUI interface for it you have to install that separately.

at one stage signed up at an Ubuntu Forum website - and there are heaps of them - to try and obtain advice, and was met with torrent of maniacal abuse by the first respondent, and a kind of smirking "ha ha ha, we know about Ubuntu, but that idiot doesn't" from the next one!

I never found the (official) Ubuntu forums all that useful myself but never encountered anyone like that either. If you haven't yet tried, take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/

Agent_24, have you got a Linux OS?

Yes, I have been using Ubuntu and variants since late 2005. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 currently to write this ;) but I also have XP installed on this machine.

On my other machine I triple-boot XP, Ubuntu and Windows 7.

To get around your Ubuntu installation issues, you may want to first try installing via Wubi. To do this, boot your Windows XP and then insert the Ubuntu CD. The CD provides a way to install Ubuntu inside Windows. It's not the best way to do it, but it allows you to get up and running with an installed version of Ubuntu with minimal effort, and without the need to set up real partitions etc.

Later on you could progress to a 'proper' install if you so desired.

Dragonov
29-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Gooday Agent_24, it is very kind of you to help like this. Agent_24, had googled "L-Clock + Global Hook" and got screeds of results, but lengthier examination today has revealed that the many pages of results are actually largely duplicate entries. However, there is still a lot of confusion about the actual nature of L-Clock. The following two URL's are for page 1 of a somewhat peculiar "possible malware" website that seems to just provide technical data about files but without seeming to "rate" them for whether they are threats or not; the second page is the one specifically for L-Clock (from this same site):

http://mail.directorio-spyware.com/items/-/19198/

http://mail.directorio-spyware.com/items/-/19198/

This next website has a technical exposition about L-Clock and says that there are "safe" versions, but also there are other versions that actually are harbourers of spyware. Down the page a bit some people have got posts talking about this:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/LClock/1092761816/1

There are many others in a similar vein (google "L-Clock" as well because the debate continues there too!) like that Polish bloke who said his L-Clock was trying to disguise itself in the Registry as something else!

Today accidentally found on the Web (while researching L-Clock and following links!) a programme called "Neuber Security Task Manager" which is a pretty awesome programme: if you are not familiar with it then you can download it here:

http://www.neuber.com/download/products.html

It is a programme that analyses all of the files on your computer and looks for malware-like behaviour. It "scores" any files/programmes for the resemblance of their activity to malware, but also stresses that even high-scoring programmes/files (like L-Clock which on my deck scored the highest!!!) are not necessarily "bad" because these latter programmes may have legitimate reasons for doing the kinds of stuff within an OS that malware usually does.

Neuber Security Task Manager goes a lot further than just a "Number Rating" though: it shows you all the files that the programme selected has got in the Registry, and also other information, together with a "Verdict" about the programme/file as to how "potentially harmful" it is liable to be, and L-Clock got the verdict "Seems To Be Harmless". (To get a lot more information on any entry that is shown, you just left-click on it).

Comodo and Firefox "KeyScrambler" received high "numbers" from this diagnostic programme as well but were also pronounced "Seem To Be Harmless".

Am impressed. It is I think a German website.

Agent-24: actually had another go at installing Ubuntu (off a DVD) after having last night done a lot of Ubuntu 11.04 installation research on the Web: last night found a fabulous Website written by a Greek Geek that solved nearly everything except for one thing:

Cannot, in the new installation of Ubuntu connect to the Web. Firefox in Ubuntu, will not connect with the Web: have tried disabling the plug-ins, (etc) but nothing works.

Am not going to destroy this new Ubuntu just because of this, as what you said is correct: Linux Ubuntu is absolutely incredible (has far more features than were originally realised and is very, very good): so as this inability of "Ubuntu Firefox" to connect with the Web surely must be a minor thing?

The Ubuntu "hidden Firewall": it makes me feel uneasy about not being able to get access to a Firewall in an OS so that you cannot even see it (unless you are are a Software Architect,as, apparantly, in most Linux programmes you have to be, but Agent_24 very few humanoids are!) to even get a "decko" at the "controls".

Agent_24 you with excellent reason can say: "you use Comodo Firewall with blind faith when in reality Comodo could be doing anything to you, and so therefore your trust is hilariously ridiculous viz-a-viz Ubuntu and Comodo".

But Comodo has never "Failed" me, and has many, many times saved me from my own idiocy. What is more, the incredible Comodo Firewall can be "programmed" even by people like me to "obey" them (if they take the trouble to learn about Comodo Firewall) and every instruction is actuated by Comodo with absolute precision.

The Ubuntu "Cloud Firewall" makes me want to get back immediately to XP3 and Comodo! Or that is to say, if the Web could even be connected to in Ubuntu! So far no worries!

Hope you will reply Agent_24. In the meanwhile Agent_24 thank you again for telling me about those incredible downloading programmes. Very impressive!

Finally - have reinstalled "C-Clock!!!"

Cheers Agent_24!

Agent_24
30-08-2011, 12:10 AM
There are many ways in which an Antivirus can detect a file as being bad, heuristics is one of them, but it can also cause a lot of false positives too, when files look or act like a virus but aren't.

However as you saw yourself, Neuber security rates Comodo and Keyscrambler as high risk as they also use hooks and other things.

Note that AVG seemed to be the AV those people were talking about as detecting L-Clock. It's probably worth noting that AVG has a history for false-positives resulting in deleted system files and people with unbootable Windows.

At the end of the day it's up to you to decide. If you're interested to see what most AV programs say, upload the L-Clock executable file (wherever it is, Comodo and Neuber security should both be able to tell you the path to the file) to www.virustotal.com

That will scan with many AV (about 44 I believe) which should prove interesting. If it tells you the file has already been scanned, tell it to do it again.

For Ubuntu's Internet issues, I expect the problem stems from your usage of dialup. I assume you have configured the modem and dialed in etc?

If you want a GUI for the firewall, open Software Center and search for 'Firewall' and install either "Firewall Configuration" or "Firestarter" - if you bought an Ubuntu DVD the packages should be installable from that without needing to be downloaded.

By the way, I also use Comodo, with pretty good faith :cool: And Getright is definitely a very useful program, even sometimes with DSL.

Dragonov
31-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Hi Agent_24: have just somehow "lost" a post in reply to you (tried to make a backup of it but was unable to) that was very highly detailed and was constructed over the course of at least two hours: have not got the grunt left tonight (well it actually is now "today" being 6.05am! - been up all night!) to try and start again so will try and get a reply to you within the next couple of days, Agent_24.

Thank you again for your help: you are a very good writer and very good at explaining complicated technical issues to "non-Tech's".

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
31-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Ahh... bugger. I hate it when that happens :(

What I usually do now when I want to compose a rather large forum post, is write it all down in a word processor software first.
Keep saving the document regularly, and when I'm done, copy it to the forum and post there. Saves a lot of headaches and sadly lost writing.

Will keep an eye out for your next post! Good to hear you've been able to follow mine so far :D

Dragonov
31-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Thank you very much Agent_24. Agent_24, before talking again about Linux Ubuntu, just have to say that even though you will be using this, there could be quite a few I.T. "Newbies" like me reading these posts who do not know about the incredible Linux GNU "Notepad", which the Mighty Linux dudes make for even "Windows"! WOW - this awesomely incredible programme should be literally "Trumpeted From Every Rooftop"! Only floundered across this mind-boggling phenomenon on the Web the other night (yeah another distraction while trying to research the inability to connect to the Web in Ubuntu - the Web and the links!!!) but by God, how thankful I am that this happened: Linux GNU Notepad: WOW!!!

Everyone reading this, google "Linux NGU Notepad Download" and there you will be able to find a way to download it that is suited to both you and your Web connection. You may need to download a small "Decompressioning/Unzipping" programme viz "Bitzipper" - which is a very good file-opening programme although the installation process can be annoying because of all the nagging at you to buy stuff. But heck, the programme itself is so excellent who cares? You get it for a "free test" for thirty days, so if you need it to get the insanely fabulous Linux GNU Notepad then get the free trial of the "Unzipper"!!! Grab the Linux Notepad and as soon as you install it, put it into a USB Drive. Do not be lazy like me and have to do everything all over again, but, however, all the effort was as nothing when this glorious programme was again the result. One of the most important pieces of advice to all "Newbies" in my opinion, is to obtain at least one USB Drive, but get a good one: OfficePlus (NZ) is a very good place to obtain excellent USB Drives and by New Zealand standards at quite fair prices. Am not connected with them in any way apart from having purchased a USB Drive off them many months ago. That was one of the very few good decisions I ever made in my life!

Am writing this with "Linux GNU" right now.

Agent_24, hope to get back here for a resumption soon, but better try "Wubi" first, probably will try it tonight - Wubi is the last hope. Forgot to mention earlier that Ubuntu said my ancient computer (it is an antiquated PC, more than seven years old) is too old to handle "Unity" and so can only "deal" with "Ubuntu Classic".

Agent_24 this kind of stuff keeps on literally driving me to to drink (with maniacally obstinate reluctance!!! - it is TRUE!). (Well, sort of maybe).

Wubi! Next!

Thank you Agent_24.

The Linux GNU Notepad is driving me nearly insane with absolute delight! At long last William Gates and his thieving gang of cronies are staring down a VERY BIG barrel!!!

All the very best Agent_24.

Dragonov
01-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Agent_24, the foregoing might at first sight appear to be a bit over the top, but am no "disciple" of William Gates, and have not been substantially "endeared" towards this greedy ratbag after the other day being told by Microsoft that I have installed XP3 "Too Many Times" and am no longer allowed to "activate" XP3 until I have obtained a new "product key" or something. As always they are extremely "vague" about what actually is meant, and let alone what the heck precisely is the procedure to rectify the situation; or in other words they are being obstructive/obtuse. This is just another one of their sly corporate stunts to try and force you to buy another OS off them.

Agent_24, this makes it more imperative than ever to get Linux operating properly, but have just tried "Wubi" and cannot get online in "Wubi" either. (Have "deleted" the latest Linux Ubuntu installation using the XP3 installation (Formatting) disc due to not being able to get online, and to have a "clean" system to try "Wubi".

Spent all day (and night) yesterday crawling around the Web trying to find out what could be stopping Firefox (in Ubuntu) from getting access to the Web. Agent_24, got virtually nowhere (informationally) as the Linux websites are all written by and for Dimitri Mendeleev!!! However, it DOES seem as if a Modem Driver (as per Ubuntu not being able to put an "Internet Connection" Driver into the type of Modem I have got) could be the problem.

Agent_24, am Freaked by this as do not know anything about how to install Drivers, and have never even tried to install any. Have read a lot about them on the Web though and, quite frankly, do not want to have to meddle with Drivers!

So Agent_24, you earlier were asking if I had "configured" the Firefox (connection) in Ubuntu for Dial-Up. I should have immediately told you "no", but being someone who has to always try and "solve" things for myself before failing miserably and (then) having to crawl to other people for help, well here I am after going the long way around yet again! Could you please, Agent_24 describe how to configure Ubuntu for Dial-Up?

PLEEZ Agent_24, can my ancient heap of a PC actually be made to get online in Linux Ubuntu? Have joined that Ubuntu Forum that you provided a Link to, and a dude there thinks my PC might not be able to handle Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and he says maybe "Kubuntu" or some Linux variant like that is something I might have to use. As I think somewhere has already been mentioned (in a post on NZ PC World here) Ubuntu cannot use "Unity" on my Fossil and has to install in "Classic" mode.

With "the great philanthropist" William Gates breathing down my neck now, have got to somehow find a way to make my PC Linux. Cannot afford a better computer, so if push comes to shove might try "Linux Mint" again (but would much rather have Ubuntu).

Agent_24, with reference to L-Clock scenario: you talk about AVG and how it is infamous for it's "wrong readings" of files. AVG is one of the ghastly tragedies like "Spybot" and "ZoneAlarm" (and now apparantly Ad-Aware has actually turned into an absolute dud as well: it is being "caned" now on the Web) that used to be the best by far protective software around (I used to have the old, original, ZoneAlarm Firewall and it was mind-blowingly superb) but now are utterly reviled and there are warnings about not to use them everywhere. I dread to think what it would be like for someone who has not got a Linux OS if Comodo Firewall starts being a "Gimme Da Money" thing.

Thank you Agent_24, and the somewhat naive raving about "Linux GNU Notepad" is not regretted, because every time I open this staggeringly superb programme up, I get literally "Floored" with amazement. Linus Torvalds: Salyut!!!

Agent_24
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
told by Microsoft that I have installed XP3 "Too Many Times" and am no longer allowed to "activate" XP3 until I have obtained a new "product key" or something. As always they are extremely "vague" about what actually is meant, and let alone what the heck precisely is the procedure to rectify the situation

If that's the message you're getting in Windows, then all you need to do is call them on their 0800 number (it's in there if you choose activate by phone) and tell them you've had to reinstall Windows because of Linux etc, and they'll fix it for you. Probably best to do this once you've finished setting up your Linux etc and have everything working to avoid having to do it again.

have just tried "Wubi" and cannot get online in "Wubi" either. (Have "deleted" the latest Linux Ubuntu installation using the XP3 installation (Formatting) disc due to not being able to get online, and to have a "clean" system to try "Wubi".

However, it DOES seem as if a Modem Driver (as per Ubuntu not being able to put an "Internet Connection" Driver into the type of Modem I have got) could be the problem.

Agent_24, am Freaked by this as do not know anything about how to install Drivers, and have never even tried to install any. Have read a lot about them on the Web though and, quite frankly, do not want to have to meddle with Drivers!

So Agent_24, you earlier were asking if I had "configured" the Firefox (connection) in Ubuntu for Dial-Up. I should have immediately told you "no", but being someone who has to always try and "solve" things for myself before failing miserably and (then) having to crawl to other people for help, well here I am after going the long way around yet again! Could you please, Agent_24 describe how to configure Ubuntu for Dial-Up?

PLEEZ Agent_24, can my ancient heap of a PC actually be made to get online in Linux Ubuntu? Have joined that Ubuntu Forum that you provided a Link to, and a dude there thinks my PC might not be able to handle Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and he says maybe "Kubuntu" or some Linux variant like that is something I might have to use. As I think somewhere has already been mentioned (in a post on NZ PC World here) Ubuntu cannot use "Unity" on my Fossil and has to install in "Classic" mode.

You don't need to keep deleting your Ubuntu installation. There's nothing wrong with it, you just need to configure the modem properly.

That however is easier said than done. The problem with a lot of dialup modems (especially the newer software-based ones - eg: most made in the last 10 years or so) is that they were primarily targeted to run on Windows, and Linux software was never made.

This makes getting them to run on Linux a fun exercise. As you have read, you may indeed need to get a driver installed somehow.
However, without knowing what your modem is, it will be hard to say for sure what you need to do.

So I think the first step is to find out what exactly your modem is. Is it external, or internal? Who made it, and what is the model number?

By the way, you don't _have_ to run Unity. Personally, although my PC can handle Unity, I use classic because I prefer the style. If they ever drop classic I'll switch to Lubuntu or something instead.

You may like to try Lubuntu or Xubuntu if you want something 'faster' for your older machine. I wouldn't advise Kubuntu as the latest versions with KDE4 have quite a bit of eye-candy as well, and with a slow graphics card will be a headache as well.

Of course a simple graphics card upgrade is likely all you need to be able to run Unity, if for some reason you really want to (what graphics card do you have at the moment?)

Dragonov
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi Agent_24, thank you very much for your reply. Agent_24 am going to here put a "System Information" extract about the Modem I have got (it is an internal Compaq Data Fax Modem COM3):

System Information report written at: 09/01/11 12:51:20
System Name: KARLY-DB402597D
[Modem]

Item Value
Name Compaq Data Fax Modem
Description Compaq Data Fax Modem
Device ID PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_1033&SUBSYS_02C013E0&REV_08\3&13C0B0C5&0&50
Device Type Internal Modem
Attached To COM3
Answer Mode Not Available
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_1033&SUBSYS_02C013E0&REV_08\3&13C0B0C5&0&50
Provider Name Microsoft
Modem INF Path mdmrpciw.inf
Modem INF Section Modem1033
Blind Off X4
Blind On X3
Compression Off +DS=0;
Compression On +DS=3;
Error Control Forced +ES=3,2,4;
Error Control Off +ES=1,0,1;
Error Control On +ES=3,0,2;
Flow Control Hard +IFC=2,2;
Flow Control Off +IFC=0,0;
Flow Control Soft +IFC=1,1;
DCB 
Default <
Inactivity Timeout Not Available
Modulation Bell Not Available
Modulation CCITT Not Available
Prefix AT
Pulse P
Reset ATZ<cr>
Responses Key Name Compaq Data Fax Modem::Compaq::Microsoft
Speaker Mode Dial M1
Speaker Mode Off M0
Speaker Mode On M2
Speaker Mode Setup M3
Speaker Volume High L3
Speaker Volume Low L0
Speaker Volume Med L2
String Format Not Available
Terminator <cr>
Tone T
Memory Address 0xF8100000-0xF810FFFF
I/O Port 0x0000E100-0x0000E107
IRQ Channel IRQ 18

Agent_24, here is the specs for my Video Card:

VIDEO CARD - GIGABYTE RADEON 9250

SPECIFICATIONS: ATI RADEON 9250 (128MB)

Gigabyte RADEON 9250

128-bit DDR RAM

400MHz dual RAMDACs

VIVO

Very much appreciate your very generously being prepared to look at this stuff for me: I am completely "stuck" and cannot solve the problems I am having.

Agent_24 will phone Microsoft about XP3 after/if the Linux situation can be sorted out. Have got a CD with Linux Mint on it: got "Mint" long before Ubuntu, but bailed out of the "Mint" installation because it did not show you what was going on, or even if anything was happening at all!

Cheers Agent_24, and thank you again.

Dragonov
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Have tried to delete the duplicate post.

Agent_24
01-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Your graphics card is one of the r200 series (r280 in fact), and does not have gallium3d support which I think you do need to run Unity. The r200 series driver does have some 3D support but I guess it's not enough. Sadly I can't help you there, you'd probably have to check the Ubuntu forums for anything more about that.

However of course, you can still run in classic mode or use a different desktop environment (eg: use Lubuntu or Xubuntu), so not a big problem, really.

As for the modem, the PCI ID string brings us to this: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/14f1/1033/13e002c0 which is apparently part of the Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem family.

Unfortunately (again) this is where I run into a wall. Having never used a dialup modem in Linux, I can't for sure say much about the process of getting one up and running.

However from what I have read, the outlook may be not so good. According to http://tickletux.sourceforge.net/howto/hcf.html there is no driver for these modems. I have no idea if that information is out of date, it may well be.

Conexant's download page for Linux drivers redirects to: http://www.linuxant.com/company/ who apparently make a driver that supports devices with your PCI ID (http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/index.php)

You could try downloading and installing using their program (http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/downloads-installer.php) - the instructions do seem quite basic at least.

However the free driver is limited to 14kbps and the full speed driver you must purchase. The other problem is that the advanced download page for Ubuntu drivers only lists Ubuntu up to version 9.10 (you have 11.04)

Why this is I do not know, and if the any of their drivers would work in your Ubuntu I also don't know. You could give it a try and see what happens, or contact those people and ask them.

Again, you should probably ask about this on the Ubuntu forums, hopefully you'll find someone who knows more about dialup on Linux than I do.

An easier way may be just to buy a different modem which is known to have good support in Linux. Trying to get your current one running would probably cost a lot more in headaches than it would for a good 2nd hand modem. (which should cost next to nothing!)

In fact, I've got a pile of old dialup modems here. I'll try to have a look and see if any work on Ubuntu. If they do, I could give you one.

And finally.... I hate to say it, but you may also wish to consider an upgrade to ADSL.

Ps: There are some guys on this forum who are pretty good with Linux too, you might like to try starting a new thread about Ubuntu and Dialup. Since all this is buried at the bottom of this thread which started off about CPUs, most people probably aren't going to notice it.

Dragonov
02-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Thank you for your very informative reply: am sorry to put you to all this trouble, but there could be people with my level of I.T. (non) "expertise" who are reading our "talk" and who are having a similar problem to me, who will be able to learn a lot about their PC's/systems from what you have written Agent_24.

Like you say, Agent_24, this probably should be a new "thread" (?) but if this topic is recommenced somewhere else on NZ PC World Forum (am not even sure how to start a "thread" somewhere else in this Forum!) then will you be able to find it? I need your help!

The (my computer) problems you have been going to a lot of trouble to investigate (and thank you very much for doing so) have led into pretty arcane territory, but also it is very interesting territory. Agent_24, we live in a country where on TradeMe there are people all over the place who are trying to SELL computers like mine!!!

There easily could be other suckers like me banging into the same trouble. Suckers who payed nearly half a grand for a seven-year-old computer!!!

Agent_24, for God's sake PLEASE do not say things such as another Modem might have to be put in. In fact, Agent_24, you are forbidden to make such statements any more!!! Am saying this after having nearly perished from a heart-seizure trying to put new RAM into the PC to try and make it "go better" and it didn't to any extent "go better"!!!

Agent_24, will not let you give me a Modem but will buy one from you, only as long as you can supply "Idiot-Proof" installation instructions: my eyesight is not particularly crash-hot either, so tiny little fiddly type stuff is pretty much not possible.

I want Linux - and am getting severely frustrated at not so far being able to have Linux.

You are a good dude Agent_24, and thank you.

P.S: Have repeatedly tried to download a "Reader" to open the Driver programme that you provided the link for, but the "Reader" downloads keep failing: have tried downloading it with "GetRight" and also with "straight" Firefox, but nothing works. My "Linux Project" is starting to get a "Flying Dutchman" flavour to it, isn't it?

P.S: The criticism of William Gates is in no way intended to be any kind of slight on the Indian Software Architects who create all of his software for him. Those Indian dudes have engineered some damn good stuff.

Dragonov
02-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Agent_24, some of the things you have written about, I have not yet replied to. This is due to being trapped on Dial-Up. Dial-Up is like having your wrists and legs in manacles. It can take half an hour for a Web page to open!

In the Ubuntu installation solved the "Keyboard" problem the "Russian" way by slamming everything on the entire keyboard into the "Panel" and then saying "Nyet" to all of the questions.

It worked! Those Glorious, Crazy, Russians!!!

Dragonov
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
One last thing, Agent_24, do you think that there might be any kind of Linux OS that might be able to put a " Linux Web Driver" into the type of Modem I have got? Want Ubuntu, but would happily settle for any Linux OS if there was one that could (a) automatically put a "Web" Driver in the Modem during the installation process and (b) which simultaneously is a Linux variant that is not too "heavy" for my puny computer. Incidentally, got the Ubuntu DVD on TradeMe.

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Like you say, Agent_24, this probably should be a new "thread" (?) but if this topic is recommenced somewhere else on NZ PC World Forum (am not even sure how to start a "thread" somewhere else in this Forum!) then will you be able to find it? I need your help!

The same way you started this thread - just go to the PressF1 thread index for this forum (here (http://pressf1.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?4-PressF1)) and click the big "Post new thread" button at the top.

If you want to make sure anyone reading this can find the new thread, post the link to it in this one.

Agent_24, for God's sake PLEASE do not say things such as another Modem might have to be put in. In fact, Agent_24, you are forbidden to make such statements any more!!! Am saying this after having nearly perished from a heart-seizure trying to put new RAM into the PC to try and make it "go better" and it didn't to any extent "go better"!!!

Agent_24, will not let you give me a Modem but will buy one from you, only as long as you can supply "Idiot-Proof" installation instructions: my eyesight is not particularly crash-hot either, so tiny little fiddly type stuff is pretty much not possible.

Looks like an external modem might be the way to go then - in fact, since most external modems are hardware based a driver is apparently not needed in Linux (That is those that use a standard serial port, not USB)

I might have a spare one of those, don't know, Seems it's mainly a stack of PCI cards that are all software-based 'Winmodems' (but you should be able to find a good serial-port external modem on Trademe etc)

P.S: Have repeatedly tried to download a "Reader" to open the Driver programme that you provided the link for, but the "Reader" downloads keep failing: have tried downloading it with "GetRight" and also with "straight" Firefox, but nothing works. My "Linux Project" is starting to get a "Flying Dutchman" flavour to it, isn't it?

You don't need to open it with any reader, especially not in Windows. You need to save it to your computer, copy it to your USB drive etc, and then copy it into your Ubuntu. Then you need to run it following the instructions outlined on the website. However I think it would be a big headache.

In the Ubuntu installation solved the "Keyboard" problem the "Russian" way by slamming everything on the entire keyboard into the "Panel" and then saying "Nyet" to all of the questions

There should be a list where you can select the standard "USA" layout which is the most commonly used here in NZ.

One last thing, Agent_24, do you think that there might be any kind of Linux OS that might be able to put a " Linux Web Driver" into the type of Modem I have got? Want Ubuntu, but would happily settle for any Linux OS if there was one that could (a) automatically put a "Web" Driver in the Modem during the installation process and (b) which simultaneously is a Linux variant that is not too "heavy" for my puny computer. Incidentally, got the Ubuntu DVD on TradeMe.

Cheers Agent_24.

Puppy Linux is a lot lighter than Ubuntu and apparently has better dialup modem drivers built-in. Whether they would actually support your current modem I do not know. That was in reference to Puppy 4.3, the current version is 5.2.8 - I assume it still has the drivers but you should probably check if you do get the later version.

Dragonov
04-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Agent_24: thank you very much for your reply, but this stuff is very hard on the head! Am a lover of simplicity and am always fervently (actually, desperately!!!) trying to find it! Even though there is no such thing!

So Agent_24, if an "External Dial-Up-Modem" was obtained does that mean that Ubuntu 11.04 can be made to go online with it? Would the Internal Modem that my computer has got in it have to be physically removed, or would the External Modem be able to override the Internal one?

Agent_24, would a better computer be the best way to get Linux? If this is the only way, will seriously think about it, and most probably will do it if it means being able to have Linux. These are interesting technical issues though; there are a heck of a lot of people in New Zealand who are poor and have got very old computers, and what we are talking about here, Agent_24, could be very helpful to them. Anyone who has read anything about Linux wants Linux!!! And they want Linux a lot!!!

Agent_24
04-09-2011, 12:53 AM
According to what I've read, an external dialup modem that uses a serial port should be easier to get working than an internal "Softmodem" because the true-hardware external ones don't really need drivers beyond the Linux-supplied serial port drivers. (same applies in Windows, most external serial modems don't need a driver)

I can try to get one set up here to make sure it can be done alright in Ubuntu 11.04, and if so, will advise on how you can also do it.

You wouldn't need to remove the old modem, you could simply plug in a new one and would use that instead. You could then use either of them in Windows, if you still wanted to use Windows as well (Dual-boot etc)

A newer computer would let you run stuff like Unity interface and have better 3D graphics support, but without a Linux-supported dialup modem you still wouldn't be able to use the Internet on it.
What's more, almost all new computers now don't even have a dialup modem of any kind, and even worse, they often don't have serial ports either, so you'd have even more fun having to find a hardware-based PCI or USB modem that was well-supported in Linux.

If your Ubuntu runs OK on your PC as is (aside from the Internet problem) then I wouldn't bother upgrading. And if it doesn't, you could just go for a lighter distribution, like Lubuntu with the LXDE interface instead of Gnome.

If you want to upgrade anything, I only advise you to upgrade your Internet connection to ADSL, if you can.
I know it's probably the last thing you want to hear, but it's much better than dialup and is much, much easier to setup in Ubuntu.

Dragonov
04-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Agent_24, can an External Modem be easily plugged into a PC? You seem to imply that they do not go into a USB Port (?).

Thank you again Agent_24.

Agent_24, am not capable of importing a Modem Driver into Ubuntu.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Depends what connection the modem has. Some may have a serial connection, others may have USB. I wouldn't rely on USB, its too unreliable / flaky

Agent_24
04-09-2011, 03:16 PM
The older type external modems connect via a serial port, and are easily plugged in just like USB.
The photo attached shows two serial ports, below a parallel port. Looking up your motherboard it shows you have one at the back. It will be easy to find.

If you really need to use dialup then this should be much easier than playing around with PCI cards and drivers.

The only better solution would be a USB and known-Linux-supported dialup modem such as: http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA28520 (But it's quite expensive!)

Dragonov
04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Gracius, Agent_24, am going to try and buy the External Modem you have recommended: by "hook or by crook" am going to fight for a way to have Linux!!!

Thank you very much Agent_24, your kindness and generosity is very highly appreciated.

Dragonov
05-09-2011, 01:36 AM
The US Robotics 56K USB Faxmodem USR5637-Fax / modem - external - USB -56 Kbps
V.90, V92 (USR 805637)

Does not seem to be available any more:

http://www.pp.co.nz/Modems.php

There is available, however a Netcomm Roadster AM5067 56K USB Modem - Fax /
modem - external - USB 56 Kbps - V.90, V.92 (AM5067) (AM5067)

Agent_24, would the "Roadster" be able to get Ubuntu (or some other variant of
Linux) online?

Both of the listed Modems are described as "USB" Modems (???).

Broadband is WAY out of reach Agent_24, am only able to have Dial Up.

Thank you very much indeed for your help, but never could have imagined that getting an operable Linux System could be this difficult! It is still a very interesting project though, and if Linux can ever be gotten online on this PC it will have been more than worth the "campaign" to try and have a Linux OS.

Cheers Agent_24.

Dragonov
05-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Agent_24, have started a new "post" on NZ PC World Website: hope ya don't mind checking it out so we can continue to talk. As was mentioned earlier, there will be a lot of Kiwi's (both young, older, and also old) who will be encountering this same kind of problem trying to get Linux onto their (old) computers.

On TradeMe, in the massive second-hand computer area (which is crammed with ancient JUNK!!! - people trying to peddle computers that are YEARS old for hundreds of bucks!!!) there are a lot of dudes (potential buyers) who are extremely anxious about the Operating Systems on them. Why they are so deeply concerned is because of the eye-watering expensiveness of Microsoft Operating Systems, and the sly way the "Great Philanthropist" William Gates gets his Indian Software Engineers/Architects to construct "his" Operating Systems: a lot of computers have only got "temporary" Microsoft Operating Systems on them.

It is WAY past time, Agent_24, that we got rid of William Gates and threw open the door to the Glorious Linus Torvalds!!!

We ALL need Linux, but there are no doubt a lot of Kiwi's who are stuck with Dial-Up who are unable to install Linux because of their Modems. This is why our "talk" Agent_24 is very liable to be very helpful to a lot more people than just me.

Thank You Agent_24.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?120335-How-To-Install-A-Linux-OPerating-System-On-A-Very-Old-PC-That-Has-Got-A-Dial-Up-Modem&p=1044712#post1044712

Agent_24
05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately the page for the Netcomm Roadster AM5067 lists nothing about Linux compatibility, and I haven't found anything cheerful anywhere else either.

Perhaps a second-hand USRobotics USR5637 could be found on Trademe or eBay etc?

Dragonov
06-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Good to hear from you Agent_24, and thank you for writing. Agent_24, will see if the USRobotics USR5637 can be obtained on TradeMe or ebay. If one cannot be obtained, it looks as though I will have to learn how to manually install a Driver(?). Thanks again, Agent_24.

Agent_24
06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Looks like one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Robotics-USR5637-56K-V-92-USB-External-Fax-Modem-/310341349355 but with shipping it's quite expensive. You should be able to ask them for some cheaper\slower shipping though.

There are cheaper ones http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=us+robotics+USR5637+&_clu=2&_dmpt=PCC_Modems&_fcid=149&_fscr=1&_localstpos=&_sc=1&_sop=15&_stpos=&_trksid=p3286.c0.m19&gbr=1 but they don't list shipping for NZ. However as above you could probably ask for it.

Dragonov
07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Hullo Agent_24: Many thanks for your latest Post. Agent_24 very much appreciate your looking for Modems for me; but have got a problem with PayPal - during one of my numerous computer crashes before a USB Drive was obtained, I lost my PayPal Access details (pasword, etc). Had only ever used Paypal once, and have only tried to use PayPal again about a month ago, but could not get into the account. Contacted them (they don't make it easy!) but they said they cannot give me the account details without definite proof that I am me! Needed to get the receipt from the place where the dough was sent to through them a long, long time ago. Had a different ISP then, and it has been a hell of a rigamarole trying to get that receipt. Miraculously though, my old ISP (KiwiOnline) said they still had all my old emails on their Server and that they would let me download all the emails! They are a very nice outfit (changed to Woosh as wanted a Kiwi Lines Company instead of Telecom, and Woosh provides you with a free dial-up account for signing up with them for a Line) although one thing that was a bit annoying is after four hours online you get cut-off and have to log-on again. With Woosh you never get interrupted by them. Have not yet got around to contacting PayPal again, but try and do so soon. Am pretty crook at the moment and am spending most of the time immobilsed in bed!

Cheers Agent_24, thank you very much again for your kindness. (By the way, Agent_24, had a search on Trademe, and there are HEAPS of External Dial-Up Modems, and did'nt get very far in the search; however did not see the Modem you specify so when (or if!) am better again, will have a much longer "trawl" there, as there just MIGHT be the right one floating around somewhere there, but it will take a long time looking through the entries - most just say "External Dial-Up Modem" and you have to go into the actual "auction page" to see what kind of Modem it is.

Agent_24
07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah I saw the cheap USB ones on Trademe too.

Half of them didn't say anything about Linux and the rest said they would work in Linux if you installed the right Conexant driver, but which exact driver you need and how easy that is to do I don't know. I would at least hope that they use an open-source and free driver rather than the paid-for one from that other site I mentioned previously. I guess at the price you could get one and just see what happens, but it would be more of an experiment than anything else, I think.

There would be other modems other than the USRobotics USR5637 that work easily in Linux, I just don't know what they are (but should be able to find out) though it doesn't look like there are much on Trademe except for the brand-new el-cheapo ones. You'd probably have to go to eBay again.

I did find an old external serial modem here, and tried it on my Ubuntu, but while the dialer could open the serial port, the modem didn't respond and no lights flashed etc. Not sure if that was the modem itself or Ubuntu stuffing up the serial port access. I'll have to look into that, as an external serial modem would be a pretty cheap option, if it works.

Dragonov
07-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Agent_24, Appreciate your reply: asked that outfit on Trademe advertising the "Conexant" Modem if they could supply an actual Linux Modem,but they said you have to get a Linux Driver yourself. Tried doing this and had a rotten time: these websites are far too complicated for someone like me. Nothing on my PC could open the file that was downloaded, so had to find a progamme that could open it, on the Web, But nothing worked. Have tried getting a Linux Driver before, but the same thing happened. Have sent the receipt (that was obtained from KiwiOnline) to PayPal, so hopefully this will lead to the account problem being sorted out.

Thank you very much Agent_24 for checking out that Serial External Modem you have got: heck it would be great if that one could be made to work with Linux!

Cheers Agent_24. Much appreciate all your help.

Dragonov
07-09-2011, 06:11 PM
P.S. Agent_24, will google "External Dial Up Linux Modem" and see what happens: if the PayPal account can be gotten going again, then can buy one on e-Bay, but they might also have some of the Linux Modems that you mention and maybe something will be less expensive than the USRobotics USR5637.

About those Linux Drivers on the Web - yeah there are Open-Source free ones, but for me, everything else on those websites might as well be written in Cuneiform!

Here are the google searches results for Linux Drivers, plus a website from these searches where I tried to download Drivers from:

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Dial%20Up%20Modem%20Linux%20Driver%20Down loads&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%20%20CONEXANT%20Linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

All the very best, Agent_24, and thank you very much again.

Dragonov
07-09-2011, 08:38 PM
P.P.S: Agent_24 was looking at some of your earlier Posts, and at one stage you put a URL for a New Zealand outfit that has for sale a USB Linux-ready External Modem (they are Paradigm PC's, and the Modem they have is: USRobotics 56K USB Faxmodem USR5637 - Fax / Modem - external - USB -56Kbps -V.90, V.92).

Agent_24 are you recommending this Modem in spite of it being USB? Wouldn't it be badly compromised in it's performance by the antiquated USB system that my PC has got? It would mean that Ubuntu 11.04 (it goes fine on the machine) would have to connect to the Web through the USB system wouldn't it?

The Modem is $148.00 so that's a fair bit as you said.

I must be driving you nuts Agent_24, and apologies for seeming not to pay proper attention to what you have written sometimes, but what actually has been going on is getting hopelessly overwhelmed by the complexity and difficulty of it all.

All the best Agent_24.

Agent_24
07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
According to what I read, the USRobotics USR5637 is 'plug-and-play' in Linux because the kernel already has the appropriate driver (module) built-in. Therefore all you need to do is plug it in and you won't need to do anything except set-up the dialup account on the machine (enter phone number, username, password etc as you have to do in Windows anyway)

The problem with Paradigm PC's as you told me yourself was that they were out of stock, which is why I suggested eBay.

USB won't be a problem as even the older USB 1.1 standard is still a lot faster than 56k dialup, but your motherboard should have USB 2.0 anyway.

An older external serial modem should be able to bet gotten working too, I'll try again on another computer perhaps with this one and see if it goes. It would be a lot cheaper at least.

Other USB options on Linux look like the "Zoom 3095" and the "USRobotics 5610c"

Dragonov
07-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Hey much appreciated Agent_24: yes am USB 2.0. Paradigm are advertising this Modem on their website so maybe they have got a new consignment. Am intending to write to them to find out more. If they have actually got them, then if the Modem you are experimenting with will not work, then it looks like the Paradigm one ought to be able to get Ubuntu 11.04 online. They say that it supports all the latest Linux varieties and also Windows OS's from 2000/XP onwards too. In addition they say as well what seems to be that you can actually use a telephone while you are online! It sounds too good to be true!

However, Agent_24 would a Serial Port Modem still be better than this?

Cheerio, and thank you for writing.

Agent_24
08-09-2011, 12:01 AM
If a serial modem works it would be better in the respect that it would most certainly be a lot cheaper.

Sorry to burst your bubble though about the 'use a telephone while you are online' part - it's only if your ISP has call-waiting etc, then you basically 'pause' your Internet connection on incoming calls (don't have to redial\reconnect, and can answer the phone)

If you pay an extra fee for call-waiting etc it should work, though.

Dragonov
08-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Agent_24: always bookmark nearly everything in Firefox, and have re-checked the link that you gave to the Paradigm Modem quite a long time ago now: Agent_24, probably was pretty belated in following your link, but am not particularly efficient at the best of times. But when the link was eventually followed, Paradigm no longer had, available, this Modem:

Here is what was was seen:

http://www.pp.co.nz/Modems.php

As said, Agent_24 this whole project seems to be jinxed, but am used to it, but aint gonna wave the surrender flag about Mighty Linux until such things as a disaster happening to make being able to have a computer not possible any more.

Paradigm are advertising them again here:

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA28520

In no way meant to hack you around Agent_27, and mean what has always been said about how grateful I am for your incredibly generous help.

Dragonov
08-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Agent_47, have also tonight banged up an email to Paradigm and sent it.

Dragonov
09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Gooday Agent_24, turns out Paradigm are no longer getting those Modems after all, so it's back to the Holy Grail Hunt! Had better try and develop that new Thread on NZ PC World Forums that you advised to do quite a while ago. Have been pretty crook lately so have not been able to do much. Thanks very much again Agent_24, it's been great being able to talk to you. Incidentally, apologies for getting your UserName wrong last time, but I have often made the mistake of putting "47" instead of "24" and then having to go back and correct it: it's some kind of neurological glitch, just one of many that I am plagued with! Cheers Agent_24.