PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Sux

Newteach
14-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Have been with Xtra for a little while and yes we are just outside the town boundary. We have always had 2-3mb of bandwidth until lately. We are now down to 0.2mb at times. Would another provider be able to do better or am I stuck with this ?

:groan:

CliveM
14-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Have you had xtra check it out for you. Unless you can switch to a satellite or wireless connection any other ISP will still be using telecoms setup so you are unlikely to gain by change.

Catweazle
14-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Plug a phone into your broadband line and check the line quality. Winter and wet weather has a habit of creating noisy lines which could explain the linespeed drop. If its at all noisy get onto telecom to sort it out. If you change ISP's they will be far less inclined to do so.

:pf1mobmini:

BigBadBob
15-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Before you start blamming your provider, why not check other possible causes. Seeing how you have had a reasonable speed up until now I'd start with your own machine, router, filters, connections & lines. I've seen it so often when people automatically blame their ISP, change to someone else, then end up in a worse situation tied into a contract with a third rate ISP.

Chilling_Silence
15-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I'll second BigBadBob, filter + router failure is actually quite common, and it can show the same symptoms you describe.

linw
15-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Have you rung Telecom to ask for a check? Seems unfair to badmouth them if you haven't.