PDA

View Full Version : CC cleaner

lakewoodlady
14-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Yes, you read it correct, how does this differ from Ccleaner? Someone has used this and she's having problems with various apps "not responding".

She has also used other registry cleaners like Reg Cure. the problem is getting worse so I've asked her for an HJT log to put on here for someone to check out.
Her OS is Windows 7, don't know any other details as yet.
Here's the link to CC cleaner.
http://www.cccleaner.info/

LL

lakewoodlady
14-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Looks like the word CC cleaner is a mistake because the download from that site takes me to Piriform which is Ccleaner.

LL

Chilling_Silence
14-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah a cheap knock-off site ... point your friend to piriform.com/ccleaner :)

lakewoodlady
14-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I googled it and found there is in fact a download for CC cleaner from CNET It is Cookie and Cache cleaner. I wonder if this is what she has run.

Will try to find out more when I get the HJT from her.

LL

GameJunkie
14-08-2011, 09:09 AM
if you click on who it was posted by "admin" ( at the top of the page) it goes to this
http://www.cccleaner.info/author/admin/

hmmm

lakewoodlady
14-08-2011, 09:12 AM
yes, i found that too.

LL

wainuitech
14-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Word of advice -- tell them dont go playing with the reg unless you know what they are doing. ( which by the sounds of it, they dont)

She has also used other registry cleaners like Reg Cure. the problem is getting worse Mucking about with various reg cleaning programs is not going to make things any better.

You would be better off running system restore back to before they played about with the CC Cleaner, that will restore all the removed, altered reg files and put it back to how it was. Then it can be fixed if there are actually any problems.

Were the apps "not responding" before the CC Cleaner was run ?

if you want to run system restore - click start, type in restore, select System Restore, when it opens, down the bottom of the box, select Choose a different restore point. That should allow you to select a point before the cleaner was installed.

lakewoodlady
14-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks Wainuitech, yes will tell her when she comes back on. I was thinking maybe System Restore might be helpful. She is on the Grownups site but seems to get on only at night so will have to wait till then.
As far as the registry goes, I keep telling them not to mess with it, and have been advising the correct use of Ccleaner (the proper one) and Malwarebytes. Not everyone takes notice or they download the wrong thing etc.

Cheers LL

pctek
14-08-2011, 11:47 AM
CC Cleaner is dodgy.

lakewoodlady
14-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Right, well the following is what the lady gets when she tries to run Hijack this.

"System denied write access to the hosts file. If hijacked domains are in this file Hijackthis may not be able to fix this. If that happens you need to edit the file yourself. To do this click Start, run and type -"notepad C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"- and press enter. Find lines Hijack this reports and delete them. Save the file as "hosts"
with quotes and reboot.

LL

Gobe1
15-08-2011, 10:53 AM
LL if it is win7 or vista you need to run hijackthis as administrator or you get the hosts error.

Zippity
15-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Screw CC Cleaner - it is dangerous at the best of times :(

dugimodo
15-08-2011, 02:35 PM
CC Cleaner is dodgy.

Really? I like it myself, can't say I run it all that regularly but often enough and without any issues.

On it's default settings it doesn't touch the registry it just cleans out uneeded files, nothing that can't be done manually but easier. You can also select what you want it to clean and what to leave alone.

If they used the registry scan feature then yes that's risky, all things to do with editing the registry is risky.

lakewoodlady
15-08-2011, 07:58 PM
@ dugimodo, I think you are getting confused with Ccleaner as opposed to CC cleaner.
The latter is supposed to be a cookie and cache cleaner. (dodgy). The former being well recognized as a leading cleaner of temp files and junk etc.

LL