PDA

View Full Version : PC Wont Boot :(

Norseguy
13-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Well i just ordered a new motherboard to fix this issue, and it wont boot at all.

Here's what I know:

Case fan works and lights up.
CPU fan seems to work fully, it was only working part of the time before.
Prongs on CPU fan are broken, so only 2 work.
There is no beep when turning computer on.
No video.
CPU fan has been out of thermal grease for a long time, no burn marks on cpu.
Video card fan spins.
Hardrive makes noise.
I took the pc to a tech and she hooked something into the pcie slot and it read FF, and she said it means the motherboard is dead. Motherboard is new :\
I thought FF meant it was fine, my other motherboard worked for years and always read ff.
Switched graphics card and still no video signal.

Specs:

775W PSU
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GIGABYTE GA-P45T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Radeon HD 6850

Paul.Cov
13-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Check that your RAM is properly compatible, and is properly seated (ie remove and reinsert all sticks). Consider trying initially with only a single stick of RAM installed.

Given the fan issues you've had you should cast some doubt over the health of your CPU.
Running it even for a matter of seconds without thermal paste is like playing Russian Roulette.
You shouldn't subject a modern processor to the intermittent performance of a stuffed fan.

My amateur opinion: Get a whole new fan, get some thermal paste, consider your options to replace the CPU (best bet is buy one with fan, paste and heatsink included).

Also, cast your eye over the motherboard for any unoccupied power connector sockets.
There's usually the long plug somewhere near the CPU, but also a smaller 4 pin plug that needs to be filled as well. If you can find a plug from your PSU that will fill a gap on your MOBO, then plug it in.

Don't f-around with the thermal side of things. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Norseguy
13-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Well the ram is definitely compatible. A pc tech looked over it so it should all be hooked up right. I didn't get any beeping codes, I know ram usually beeps if it's not seated correctly.

pctek
13-08-2011, 09:13 AM
I took the pc to a tech and she hooked something into the pcie slot and it read FF, and she said it means the motherboard is dead.

A pc tech looked over it so it should all be hooked up right.

This same tech who said FF means MB dead right?
Take it to a REAL tech. FF means fine.

I'd be suspecting the CPU.

Norseguy
13-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm going to search around on ebay for another processor and heat sink...

wainuitech
13-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree with PCTek -- Suspect the CPU or its heatsink.

Prongs on CPU fan are broken, so only 2 work.

CPU fan has been out of thermal grease for a long time, no burn marks on cpu.
That IS a problem to start with, the Heat Sink Has to be sitting correctly, if its cockeyed, or not right that can cause the PC not to boot, and having no thermal grease, even though you say theres no burn marks, can still damage the CPU if its not making contact/cooling correctly with the heat sink.

It very well may be something else, but having that wrong certainly wont help.

Norseguy
13-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah the prongs are broke on the heatsink. only two will go in.

Agent_24
13-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Specs:

775W PSU

Means nothing.

What brand and how old?

But I think I agree with the others, if the CPU has not had proper thermal contact etc I would make it suspect #1

Yeah the prongs are broke on the heatsink. only two will go in.

Fix that then, if your heatsink is stuffed you aren't going to get very far