PDA

View Full Version : Loss of start menu in Vista

user
12-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I lost the ability to start any programs from the start menu, even to shut down the computer. I could see all the programs under the start menu and the underlying 'programs' menu but when I selected any, nothing happened.

The only change which I made which may have affected was to reorganise the menus to tidy them up. I did this via the properties of the taskbar and the 'start menu classic', 'customise' and 'advanced' button to access the menu items.

I could start the programs from explorer by clicking the exe file and the pathfiles were all correct when I checked the shortcuts accessed in the above paragraph.

Any ideas on what caused this and how to prevent/correct it in the future?

I eventually ran system restore to a date prior to the menu tidying and it worked but I would like to know what went wrong.

wainuitech
12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Even though you say the paths were correct, all the programs in the start menu are, is shortcuts to the original program.

Somehow along the line, the paths got screwed up.

user
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Why would that affect even the shutdown choice in the start menu? I certainly didn't alter this and many other items in the menus.

wainuitech
12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Sometimes changing settings can have a different outcome to what is expected. Sometimes things simply don't go right.

Something probably didn't change correctly. After all it is Vista, and that can be very "iffy" at the best of times.;)

Got two vista laptops here right now that I'm working on, both are being a right PITA, and not wanting to play nice.