PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness with printing

pctek
12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Lately for no reason I can see splwow64 seems to hold up printing.

Office has a little hissy too if I try to review the doc while this is happeneing, I get the not responding. It isn't really, it's the spooler, leave Office alone and it calms down.

So I repaired Office, removed the printer and reinstalled it.

To do that I needed to unplug the USB cable and put it back so it could find it again, as you do, and I mistakenly plugged it back into the ethernet port instead. Didn't realise this as I did it by feel.

Anyway it all printed fine.

Except print quality was a bit odd, like it was on ink save mode, pale.

So went into prefs to adjust it and it was using a different driver, still the right brand, but different model.
Tried to alter it here and it said it couldn't. This is when I discovered the usb cable was poked into ethernet.
It was saying the port was Virtual USB.

(The printer is capable of wifi but I had never set that up and don't use the wifi part of my modem either)

How bizarre that A)IT printed B)Windows decided it was a different printer as a result - well that's kind of understandable.

Anyway fixed it all, the right driver is back, now the damn splwow is back to hogging resources and thinking about it for ages.

The driver is up to date, I tried the new one from of the net too - its the same as the one I had.

But it only started this behaviour recently, and no haven't done any Windows updates or anything. So why now?

linw
12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
How could there be any contact made between the internal pads of the USB plug and the ethernet socket contact fingers??? I had a look here and there is just no way.

Mmmmm???

wainuitech
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Have you tried running SFC /Scannow ?

After doing some reading :nerd: Apparently there were problems with the earlier versions of splwow64 in W7.

These were fixed in some updates (which you say arn't done) ;)

If its become corrupted in some way that can cause problems. :2cents:

pctek
12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
How could there be any contact made between the internal pads of the USB plug and the ethernet socket contact fingers??? I had a look here and there is just no way.

Mmmmm???
No kidding. That's why it's weird. HOW did it see it never mind print. But print it did.

pctek
12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Have you tried running SFC /Scannow ?

After doing some reading :nerd: Apparently there were problems with the earlier versions of splwow64 in W7.

Ah. Might have a look for a newer splwow then.