PDA

View Full Version : weird dsektop ****up

GameJunkie
12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
got woken up very early to my dad saying "GameJunkie, you have to come downstairs right now" :D. 6.30am:sleep:horrified

i get downstairs, the desktop has gone back to the default windows background, firefox with no bookmarks etc, and no documents etc in the downloads folder/my documents, no music in itunes folder etc etc etc.

anyway, before i was gonna do a system restore i said i'd do a restart and see what happens.

rebooted, typed in password, and hey presto, everything is back to normal. all of this happened whilst im getting the blame( and my brother too); threats of removing the broadband ensued :lol:

but seriously, what could have caused this to happen??, and should i be worried about this happening again????

GJ

CYaBro
12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
It sounds like windows had trouble reading the user profile or registry so created a temp one.
When you rebooted it was able to read it again.

I would run a hard drive test to make sure that's ok.

:pf1mobmini:

GameJunkie
12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
i'll look at doing that at some point, dont have the time this morning

Bryan
12-08-2011, 08:54 AM
And it isn't even 1 April.

pctek
12-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah it hadn't loaded your profile.

GameJunkie
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
ok cool

thanks guys

jareemon
13-08-2011, 08:15 PM
your dad calls you gamejunkie? :D

Agent_24
13-08-2011, 11:49 PM
I've seen this happen if the registry becomes corrupt and it restores it from a backup.

There is an error message saying that this has happened which appears before the user logs in I believe. You could check the system logs to see if that happened I suppose.

The initial cause of the problem is a good subject for speculation...