PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair to say size does matter?

undiejuice
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi again,

I've just got back from Uni and one thing I have noticed, the same result with the slight 'blurry' text on screen is noticeable on their 22" screens as well.

However, on another much smaller LCD 15" size at another training institute, it's clear and crisp. Is it fair to say, that this blurry effect could be the size of the monitor rather than just the video card?

If there are people here who have the same size screen monitor as mine or even larger, whether the argument is reasonable to suggest the blurry effect is the result of a large monitor screen?

Cheers

Deimos
11-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Native res compared to non native res is the most likely reason for it.

WarNox
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Have a play with the refresh rate too.

feersumendjinn
11-08-2011, 11:35 PM
It's more likely that the screen resolution is not set correctly (to the monitor's "native" resolution (the resolution that matches the pixel matrix of the screen, i.e. 1920x1080 etc)).

Slightly blurry text may also be caused by it not being set in "Cleartype" mode.

undiejuice
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi guys, thanks again for your help.
I think the blurriness has now reduced a little; unless I am so used to it by now I must be immune to noticing anything significant. However, when I removed that white cable DVI out from back of the monitor and my graphics card, it has made reading the text easy on the eye.

I wish I could play with the refresh rate as suggested by some people, unfortunately I cannot, so have to live with the 60hz and default maximum and minimum settings for now until I buy another graphics card.

Cheers :)

pcuser42
12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
LCDs tend to work best at 60hz anyway. As stated above the resolution is more likely to be the issue.

Just FYI, I have no issues with blurry text with either my own 22" monitor (at 1920x1080) nor the University of Auckland's various monitors (usually 1920x1080 as well).

:pf1mobmini:

Alex B
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi guys, thanks again for your help.
I think the blurriness has now reduced a little; unless I am so used to it by now I must be immune to noticing anything significant. However, when I removed that white cable DVI out from back of the monitor and my graphics card, it has made reading the text easy on the eye.

I wish I could play with the refresh rate as suggested by some people, unfortunately I cannot, so have to live with the 60hz and default maximum and minimum settings for now until I buy another graphics card.

Cheers :)

Are you saying you had dvi and vga plugged in? Unplug VGA and use DVI, its a digital signal and should be sharper.

undiejuice
13-08-2011, 10:05 AM
@Alex B, Yes I did. I had both the (vga and dvi) cables running at the back of the monitor and video card at the same time. So I eventually removed the dvi with only the VGA at the back of my monitor now. The quality has improved significantly. I will however try your method too and see how this works for me.
Thanks

waldok
13-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I find DVI or HDMI noticeably better than VGA on large screens. If I remember right DVI and HDMI don't convert the signal to analogue but keep it digital all the way. On smaller screens it's hard to see the difference though.
cheers
w

Agent_24
13-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Blurry LCD is usually caused by the resolution too low (or refresh rate too high) or a crappy VGA cable.

DVI is better but VGA can be good too IF the cable is good. Some are rubbish. Some el-cheapo graphics cards are also terrible at high resolutions, on ANY monitor.

undiejuice
13-08-2011, 02:03 PM
@Waldok: I tried using the DVI cable an hour ago and I didn't like the end result. In my opinion, it wasn't as sharp as using the VGA cable, which is what I am using right now.

@Agen_24: Your probably right on all sides of the argument. So, I think just for finding out for certain, maybe I should just buy the graphics card and see how that works.

Thanks.

Agent_24
13-08-2011, 03:04 PM
What resolution are you running at? Is it the same as the native resolution of the LCD panel?

Before you blame the graphics card, test the monitor on something else first.

I find it strange that you say DVI looked worse. DVI should look better especially on an LCD monitor.

What is your current graphics card? What is your monitor? What version of Windows do you have and have you checked cleartype settings etc as suggested by feersumendjinn?

undiejuice
13-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Generic Non-Pnp Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

@Agent_24. Yes, fair enough!

Monitor: Chimei CMV221D
Resolution is: 1280 *1024
(which is the maximum because Windows 7 doesn't detect my graphics card because of the age of it)
Refresh rate is: 60hz - 64.0khz (horizontal) 60.3 Hz (vertical)
video card: WinFast A280 LE VIVO GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8X. Windows 7 fails to see it, so its a Generic Non-Pnp Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Operating System: Windows 7 with 'clearType' selected by default. In Windows XP, I have never favoured the clear type option on my 19" CRT monitor.

The graphics card worked well with my 19" CRT monitor before I got this LCD monitor last week. Its not new, but second hand. I have had my 19" monitor for 8 years or longer. Regarding clarity and colour quality, in comparison between the two devices, I believe the CRT is better. I tested this in a Windows 7 and XP environment where it worked nicely. Since the transition from CRT to LCD, is neither 'remarkable' nor 'great' as I what I had initially anticipated at first. Hence for me to believe that the graphics card could be the culprit!

My DVI output on screen isn't in my view 'exceptional' because the quality of the text is of 'reasonable' standard, but nothing to jump out of your seat and say wow, LCD's are a great thing to have in your house, so everyone should have one too! I find it strange when the seller told me to use this if my card supported DVI. Well, I just tried it as several hours earlier and the text is more like a little degrading, to read which forces me to look at the screen up close.

Cleartype text was selected by default through installing Windows 7.

Cheers.

Agent_24
13-08-2011, 06:49 PM
The resolution will be the problem. That CMV221D should be run at 1680 x 1050 (I know because I have one too)

1280 *1024 is the complete wrong aspect ratio as well (5:4 not 16:10) so it will look crap.

Chimei is also not the greatest quality (Your CRT will have much better colours etc) but the wrong resolution will be the major issue here. I guess you will have to get a new card or try to find some way to get the right drivers installed.

By the way: If you do keep that monitor I strongly recommend replacing the capacitors in the PSU if you want it to keep working, they use cheap CapXon rubbish.

undiejuice
14-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Just last night I came across this tool called: 'Adjust Cleartype text' - with the (Cleartype feature already checked) The tool by memory takes you along several pages where you select from various sources of text and you select which text appears more readable to you. I've forgotten how I got there, but I am saying that it has helped a lot.

My text is not so blurry now after going through these stages a couple of times. I can tell you its a lot better now.

undiejuice
14-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks to all the people who have helped me here and my other threads. I can't be too fussy. At least for now, I can delay my graphic card a little longer once I figure how to use Office 2010 for goodness sake.

Agent_24
14-08-2011, 02:35 PM
My text is not so blurry now after going through these stages a couple of times. I can tell you its a lot better now.

Yes, going through that Cleartype wizard is pretty useful. However you will still get best results with the proper resolution for your monitor.

Unfortunately drivers won't be available for Vista\7 as that card doesn't support DX9.

You might be able to force the resolution with something like PowerStrip though....

PPp
14-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Your card can only support 1280x1024 pixels maximum, your monitors default(and maximum)definition is 1680x1050. Unless you can run at default you are unlikely to have a good image.

undiejuice
15-08-2011, 08:27 PM
@PPP. Yes your right about that one. I'm going to have to buy a graphics card anyway because my other PC is currently using an on-board graphics controller at the moment, and I can't do much in Windows 7 except wear glasses with a 800x600 pixel rate to look at, which doesn't help a lot.

undiejuice
15-08-2011, 08:35 PM
@Agent_24. Thanks for your help too. I didn't intentionally leave you out for your contribution as well. Yeah, my graphics card is ancient. Although, the card in mind is roughly within my budget. Its the EVGA GeForce 6200, 512MB, DDR2, 1xAGP-8x video card, which I researched is compatible with Windows 7 and has the necessary drivers from NVIDA.

Oh yeah finally, (for anyone reading this too) I asked someone regarding the PSU (power supply unit) for this card and I am to believe the requirements is a minimum of 300watts. However, she told me it was 250minimum (which is what I have at the moment). Is she technically right?

Reference: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=512-P1-N402-LR&family=GeForce%206%20Series%20Family&sw=

PPp
15-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Why spend good money on ancient technology. Something like this:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/AGP/auction-398928321.htm is better by miles and at $7 you have nothing to lose. There is plenty more there as well. If you have a look you could probably pick up an "upgrade" computer for your $90, or less!