PDA

View Full Version : broadband speed, adsl, adsl2+, etc.

Tony
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Over the last few months my download speeds have been abysmal - usually much less than 1mbps. I've been getting better upload speeds than download.:yuck: However over the last few days it has suddenly jumped to a consistent 4.9mbps download, any time of day or night.:clap We are supposed to be getting the ADSL2 upgrade by the end of 2011 according to the list on the Telecom/Chorus website, but "it could happen earlier". BTW our exchange is dead last on the list.

So, questions:

If we have been upgraded already and no-one has bothered to tell us, would that make a difference to the speeds even though I only have an ADSL router?
Are ADSL2+ routers backward-compatible, so if I buy a new router and we haven't been upgraded, it will all still work?
Any recommendations for a good ADSL2+ router suitable for a small home network?

TIA

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
The main thing is: If you're on a plan is it ADSL 2? Because if it isn't, and you replace the modem/router (that supports ADSL2), you wont get ADSL2 / + speeds

inphinity
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Most ADSL2+ routers are backwards compatible. And yes, if you've been upgraded, you'll probably see an improvement despite only an ADSL1 router.

feersumendjinn
11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
•Yes, quite likely
•Yes
•Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn (http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?9093) (802.11n wireless ADSL2+ modem/router). If you want just a router, perhaps someone else can advise.

Tony
12-08-2011, 07:17 AM
The main thing is: If you're on a plan is it ADSL 2? Because if it isn't, and you replace the modem/router (that supports ADSL2), you wont get ADSL2 / + speedsYes, I can understand that. I'm with Actrix, and it is possible to interpret their plans as being "as good as you can get", i.e. if you have ADSL2+ that is what you will get. Obviously I need to confirm that.

Tony
12-08-2011, 07:18 AM
•Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn (http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?9093) (802.11n wireless ADSL2+ modem/router). If you want just a router, perhaps someone else can advise.Thanks for that suggestion. I'm after a wired rather than wireless router.

Lawrence
12-08-2011, 07:42 AM
The Netcomm can be used wireless and wired

Seems to be the one to get performance wise

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah you can turn the wireless features off if you really want. It's just then a 4-port router.

Who's your ISP? They can potentially be throttling speeds, OR if your exchange only supports ADSL1 then it's a possibility that your exchange is overloaded. If you're down in Henderson Valley I think they're being done around Dec? I have a mate who's down there and he's *spewing* coz during peak times he can only get around 100kbps (13KB/sec)

Tony
12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Who's your ISP? They can potentially be throttling speeds, OR if your exchange only supports ADSL1 then it's a possibility that your exchange is overloaded. If you're down in Henderson Valley I think they're being done around Dec? I have a mate who's down there and he's *spewing* coz during peak times he can only get around 100kbps (13KB/sec)I'm with Actrix. I suspect overloading, as the speeds were intermittently bad when I was with Vodafone. I'm on the Waiatarua exchange, and as I said, we are due to be upgraded by Dec 2011. It would be interesting to know why (a) the speeds have suddenly improved, and (b) why they now seem to be very consistent at about 4.9 mbps, irrespective of time of day.

Tony
12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Looking at routers on the Ascent site, I notice the specs say some have "basic" and some have "full" firewalls. According to them the difference is:

Our understanding is that a basic firewall does nothing more than port blocking (i.e. preventing traffic from coming in on a port), whereas a true or ‘full’ firewall has what they call SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection). In other words, it examines the packets which pass via the port and then makes a determination as to whether to allow the packet through based on the characteristics of the packet.

I'm assuming a full firewall is the better option, but my question is whether it is overkill for the extra money you seem to pay?

All opinions welcome.

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Pretty much, it'll be the exchange. I did a search for 11 Cascade Avenue, Waiatarua, Waitakere City (Just a random address in the area I felt like picking) and yeah, it shows that you've basically just got to wait until the end of the year. Not long to go now though. Changing ISPs won't help things, but getting a new modem will at least prepare you for when it *does* change, you'll just sit down one day at your PC and think "Wow something's different, it's insanely fast today" :D

Just consider yourself lucky, my who's not far from there, but not on the Henderson Exchange will peak at around 800kbps off-peak, so the fact you're getting more than 1mbps is great ;)

I turn off all firewalls on my routers anyway, and just rely on NAT, personally.

Tony
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Pretty much, it'll be the exchange. I did a search for 11 Cascade Avenue, Waiatarua, Waitakere City (Just a random address in the area I felt like picking).Was that seriously just a random address? That is where I lived until 2002.

I turn off all firewalls on my routers anyway, and just rely on NAT, personally.Could you explain that a bit more, please?

Tony
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
My Actrix plan will automatically take advantage of ADSL2+ when it becomes available.

linw
12-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Was that seriously just a random address? That is where I lived until 2002.

Chill is obviously psychic!! Any tips for the Lotto, Chill?

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Chill is obviously psychic!! Any tips for the Lotto, Chill?

Yes, don't buy a ticket, use compounding savings ;)

@Tony,
Yeah totally random, I tried to throw 1 Cascade Ave in (Coz Cascade is easy to spell), but it didn't come up, so I just tried 11...
The first two paragraphs here sum it up:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat1.htm

Basically, if your PC doesn't request the traffic, and you're not port-forwarding, the traffic is dropped.

Tony
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't know if I've just struck it lucky, but I've just heard that someone else in the neighbourhood is still getting <1mps.

mzee
15-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe you have been connected to a Cabinet. They will connect the troublesome customers first.

Tony
15-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Yes, I wondered that, as I've now heard of a couple round the place still getting crap speeds. I need to ask my next door neighbour, but we haven't connected for a few days.

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Are you sure about that mzee? I don't believe so. I've had 15 technicians come out to resolve my issues, yet I've still not been switched, even though the cabinet went in around 3 weeks ago now.

Tony
19-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Well, I've got a new router (Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn - thanks feersumendjinn), and it is up and running after a shaky start. I know one data point doesn't make a trend, but Speed test now tells me my download speed is about 6.5mbps (up from 4.9). Whether it is just a better router, the fact that it is ADSL2 although still on ADSL1 or what, I'll take it!

Follow-up question: the kit came with a filter/splitter, labelled ADSL2+. Will I need to use that when I do go to ADSL2+, or will my current setup still work?

pctek
20-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Um, no.
My brother still had his old ADSL 1 modem, then they upgraded, his speeds were still as they were until he changed it.

ADSL2+ modems will do ADSL 1 also. So invest in one.

Safari
20-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Um, no.
My brother still had his old ADSL 1 modem, then they upgraded, his speeds were still as they were until he changed it.

ADSL2+ modems will do ADSL 1 also. So invest in one.

He was asking about the filters not the modem. He has just got an ADSL2+ modem.
Tony - current filters will be fine when you get upgraded to ADSL2 but if you get any problems just replace them with the new ones.

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Back when I was on ADSL1 I got an increase from 1.6Mbit to around 3.2Mbit just by replacing the old D-Link filters (that came with my Telecom-supplied DSL-302G) with some new DSE ones from... DSE.

Whether the D-Link filters had gone bad, were just crap to start with, or incompatible in my situation I don't know, but I was quite surprised at the difference!

Tony
20-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Tony - current filters will be fine when you get upgraded to ADSL2 but if you get any problems just replace them with the new ones.The main reason I asked the question is that I have the whole house filter thing - I can't remember the proper term - so if I need to change it will not just be a matter of plugging in the new one from Netcomm.

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 06:11 PM
What you're talking about there is usually referred to as a 'central splitter' or just 'splitter' - I also have one of these myself.

The separate devices that plug into the phone jack are generally called "filters".

In any case the two are not (easily) interchangeable and no, you would not (and should not) be using any of the filters that came with your new router if you already have the splitter.

Tony
20-08-2011, 10:59 PM
In any case the two are not (easily) interchangeable and no, you would not (and should not) be using any of the filters that came with your new router if you already have the splitter.I can understand that - my question (I guess) is what will happen when I finally have ADSL2+ available? Will I need to do anything with the central splitter?

feersumendjinn
20-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Replying to your question on turning off wifi in your other thread, you need to uncheck the box here (WLAN light should be off).

Tony
20-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Ah, good stuff. Interesting - I thought I'd done that, but I just checked, and it was still enabled! Turned off now, though.

Thanks.

feersumendjinn
20-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Sweet!

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I can understand that - my question (I guess) is what will happen when I finally have ADSL2+ available? Will I need to do anything with the central splitter?

There should be no problem really. The filter\splitter etc is only really there to prevent the high frequency DSL signal from coming through to your phone and causing interference.

In most of the devices, the DSL is connected straight to the phone line anyway, and the telephones are the only ones to get any filtering treatment. Apparently some of them (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=61387) may have a high pass filter on the DSL side but this would seem to be the exception.

I would forget about it, unless of course you have major issues after the switch to ADSL2+

Tony
20-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I would forget about it, unless of course you have major issues after the switch to ADSL2+I'll do just that. A problem shelved is a problem solved has always been a good philosophy for me. In the meantime I'll enjoy my 6.5mbps downloads.:clap

Thanks for the help.

Agent_24
21-08-2011, 12:22 AM
No worries, by the way, I think you should be able check your ADSL status in the router and see what line mode you're running in. That should let you know if you're on ADSL2+ already or not.