PDA

View Full Version : Modem Connection

11-10-2001, 04:34 PM
Is there any software that can check if my modem is working properly - Keep getting cut off from the internet every 10-15 mins. Laptop works fine and never gets cut off, so the main suspect is the modem.
Any ideas

11-10-2001, 05:06 PM
Who is your ISP, try using a different one(a friends) just to check. Obvious, but is your auto disconnect set at 10-15 minutes.

Have you tried calling your ISP, sometimes they can tell why you got kicked off(I know paradise can)

You can test your bandwidth at: http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/default.asp

11-10-2001, 05:13 PM
OOPS.

Forget that bandwidth test, it is only accurate for US.

12-10-2001, 08:34 AM
well, If I had a software modem, that would be the first thing I pointed my finger at...

12-10-2001, 04:51 PM
or your hammer. :-)

Anyway,
Updating your drives will probably help.

I found that Xtra was dropping my connections regularly (with real and soft modems, and at different houses on different exchanges), they blamed the phone line, but when I changed to Paradise.net the problem disappeared, I suspect its related to the 083 number they use.

12-10-2001, 06:23 PM
Your ISP may be cutting you off; Paradise does in order to protect users who are on the 20 hours a month plan, so they don't use up their time accidently. This can be got around by setting your email program to check for new mail every 10 min. or you can ping them.