PDA

View Full Version : Laptop running Vista freezing during startup

Gedc
10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
So..Here we go again :banana

Kids laptop (3 years old) running Vista has been freezing a bit on and off since the quakes in CChurch - dont know if its co-incidence or not. When they report it I find the screen frozen, non responsive keyboard and mouse and the hard drive spinning and making a lot of noise. The " hold the power button down for 5 secs trick" works and then I restart machine normally. That works(ed) most of time.

Now the laptop is freezing during boot up. It gets to the microsoft windows logo with green bars running across it and they just stop. It will happily sit like that for hours.

Boots into safe mode okay for now. Scannow came up fine. Checkdisk seems fine until the 3rd part of the tests and reports back :

Wolume bitmap is incorrect & Windows found problems with the file system.

Here's my issue. I can't run chkdsk from safe mode as it says it needs to lock the drive and will run it at startup instead. Machine reboots and windows tries to load..Freezes :annoyed:

Tried to run error checking under tools in safe mode. Same problem as above. Needs to run it at startup :mad:

Put in my vista recover disc that came with laptop. Changed boot sequence to DVD. Says its loading windows files. Looks good for a bit then microsoft splash screen appears and it hangs (again) :badpc:

Is the hard drive looking goosed ( In your humble opinion)
How the heck do I run the chkdsk/f if it keeps looking to load windows first ?

Thanks to the wise

Ged

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2011, 10:49 PM
The hdd maybe failing. Remove it put it in a desktop and scan it for errors

Gedc
10-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Thx..That was quick..Didn't think of that. Before I pull the drive from the laptop what connector will I need to hook it upto the desktop?

Any other way using normal routes before I get the screwdrivers out?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Depends what kind of hdd it is. If its SATA, a SATA and data cable. If IDE an IDE cable

Should get picked up once you get into windows on the desktop

feersumendjinn
11-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Before I pull the drive from the laptop what connector will I need to hook it upto the desktop?

Something like this is very handy for drive testing
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348053

wainuitech
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Wolume bitmap is incorrect & Windows found problems with the file system.Sounds a lot like a corrupted Operating system.

Theres a couple of ways to run chkdsk without removing the drive.

start the laptop in safe mode with command prompt, at the prompt, type in chkdsk <press enter> Dont worry about any switches yet, it says its read only but it will actually repair.

Assuming its run through OK, if you want to rerun chkdsk with the switches then boot back into safe mode (or normal mode) click start, type in CMD, right click, run as administrator, chkdsk /r then allow it to run on reboot.

Failing that you can use Winpe ( bootable CD) to run it, its a long process to make a single CD, but if you want it, just say, and I can post a link to a down loadable ISO (139MB)

Gedc
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi Wainuitech

Thanks for your comments. The issues i'm finding is when the machine reboots (to run checkdisc on next startup ) it freezes before chkdsk gets the chance to initiatie.

So machine reboots. I see microsoft corporation above a little rectangular windo with vertical green bars running horizontally across it. After about 3 seconds they just freeze and thats it goosed again.

Or have I misread your answer mate?

Ta

Ged

wainuitech
11-08-2011, 07:49 PM
in the original post / question you mentioned :
Boots into safe mode okay for now. Scannow came up fine. the chkdsk suffs it part way through.

by running in safe mode with command prompt ( instead of selecting the safe mode on startup) it doesn't actually fully load the windows GUI as normal.

This "may" if running chkdsk with out the switches ( f or r) may allow the "Volume bitmap is incorrect" problem to be fixed.

If that works OK, then chkdsk /r can be run normally without crashing (hopefully)

if that doesn't work, sometimes if you boot from a CD that is WinPE, thats a basic command interface, that is the loading section of windows, sometimes you can run chkdsk from that and it fixes things good enough to do it from windows.

You can make it your self, but it requires a lot of work downloading program (large) and a bit of DOS work to make the CD which is 139MB in the finish. If you want the ISO please let me know and I can upload it and supply a link.

Whats basically happening is windows is loading ( or trying to) but the the amount of free space is reading different to what there actually is.

[Quoted from a Tech support site]

Operating Systems use a bitmap to keep track of the space in a volume (ie: hard drive partitions) that is being used, and what space is still available. This is called a volume bitmap.
Hard drives use a volume bitmap to keep track of useable/bad sectors. When a bad sector is detected, the bit is marked as bad so it doesn't get used. Some drives have reserve sectors, so it can bring one of these into the map as a replacement. This bitmap can be corrupted and create problems. Get a diagnostics program from the manufacturers website to check a hard drive before using it.

Gedc
12-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Hi again.

Did the safemode with command prompt, ran chkdsk again. Same message about volume bitmap being wrong etc.

Typed chkdsk/f - machine replied it would need to do it on reboot. Back to start :yuck:

Thx for the link offer but will give it a miss just now. I think its time for the laptop to have a heavy object fall on it a lot.

Will pop out the HD at weekend and connect it upto the desktop when I get the connector cables.

Thx again..

ged