PDA

View Full Version : Editing videos - software for this purpose?

John H
10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi folks.

I have a Freeview PVR, and the files from recordings are of the .ts file type.

Someone here recommended using Handbrake to convert them so that they can be burned to DVD as a backup, and I have been doing that quite successfully, though it is a slow process, as Handbrake and Nero both have to re-encode, and with my PC that takes time.

However, as is the usual case, my recordings have a chunk at the beginning and the end that come from starting the recording early and finishing it late; TV channels being notoriously cavalier at starting and finishing on time. Where is Mussolini when you need him?

I would like to edit those chunks off - topping and tailing the recordings - nothing sophisticated. I tried using Windows Movie Maker, just because I have it as part of Win XP, but it doesn't seem to like .mp4 files (which is what Handbrake is providing).

Any recommendations for software I could use to top and tail these recordings would be gratefully received!

Thanks everyone. John

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2011, 06:05 PM
You could try this. (http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/) Looks like it can convert from TS. I would convert it to AVI, then MM should be able to edit it. Dont think you'll find a free program for MP4 files. Unless you buy it

nedkelly
10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
which pvr is it John?
I am looking for one to use with my UHF aerial.
Seen a few but cant extract them from hdd.

stevie_boy
10-08-2011, 09:22 PM
A free and easy solution is Avidemux (http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/). It opens .ts files, allows you to crop any parts of the video down to the individual frame level and you can save the result as an AVI, MPEG, MP4, FLV, MKV or several other formats.

John H
10-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Thank you all of you. I will investigate your suggestions in the morning.

I do like the idea of Avidemux - it looks like it would cut out one step in the laborious process I am involved in at the moment, but I will give them all a look.

Nedkelly - it is the Akai terrestrial decoder. I have it hooked up to a usb hard drive. I can just unhook the drive, plug it in to my PC, and there are the .ts files to play with. It isn't Freeview approved, probably because the user can access the files and back them up off the pvr. I gather that is OK in Australia, but not under our draconian Freeview system which is pretty locked down. I bought the decoder off TradeMe - it is this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Other/auction-398469221.htm It looks like there might be a later model now, judging by the TradeMe site.

nedkelly
10-08-2011, 10:09 PM
When you get the .ts files converted can you let me know what the quality is like please?

John H
10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
When you get the .ts files converted can you let me know what the quality is like please?

To be honest, I have only looked at them on my pc to confirm that they worked, and then I handed them over to the first born for him to look at and I haven't got them back. I am doing some now and will try them out on the TV for you in the morning. I could always post you one so you can see for yourself on your own system - pm me your postal address if you like.

nedkelly
11-08-2011, 08:08 AM
You could always upload them to my server.
Would be easier.
If you want to do that pm me for the details.

Bantu
11-08-2011, 08:17 AM
rename the .ts extenstion .mpg then edit, this works fine depending on what encoding was used. It used to work on a Hauppage card I had.

John H
11-08-2011, 09:52 AM
You could always upload them to my server.
Would be easier.
If you want to do that pm me for the details.

Ok, I have just sampled a couple of programmes that I backed up to DVD. One was a programme from Prime, the other from Māori TV. Both originally broadcast in HD.

I played them on a rather aged Pioneer DVD Player, to a Sony Full HD TV. The quality is very good, though there is some slight degradation from HD. For example, text on the screen is not as crisp as the original broadcast, and the edges of images are again not as crisp and images not quite as sparkling as you would expect from an HD broadcast.

However, as a back up they are more than acceptable. They are way way better than VHS quality; comparable with SkyTV broadcast quality - maybe slightly better. Just not as crisp as the original terrestrial Freeview broadcast.

I don't think I will be uploading them to your server nedkelly! The smallest DVD is 700Mb...

nedkelly
11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
yeah probably wont be doing that then

BBCmicro
11-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I use the freeware MPEG Streamclip for editing captures without re-encoding. Specifically to top and tail the recording and chop out the ads. Also to join segments together.

My capture device records as .mpg but the process will be similar for .ts (which is actually mpeg anyway)

Here's what I do:

1. I Open the .mpg in StreamClip and do the editing with I (= In) and O (= Out) and CTRL-X (= Cut)

(Streamclip needs to run in XP 32-bit compatibility mode on my Win7pro64. This is a simple procedure and only applies the first time you try to run it. Win7 remembers for future Runs)

2. Click Edit, Fix Timecode. Takes about 5 sec

3. In my case, I click save as .ts The reason for this is I usually want to join other segments and Streamclip only joins .ts streams. Takes less than minute to make the .ts file on my i5-750. (for a 30m capture)

4. I do the same for the other segments. I end up with 3 x .ts files saved on my HDD for a 90m capture

5. I open all 3 x .ts segments simultaneously in Streamclip. The program is smart enough to put them in order provided they are named in order

6. Click Edit, Fix Timecode

7. Save as .mpg. Takes a couple of minutes only

That's all. I end up with a 90m .mpg which (on Chilling Silence's insistence) I now convert to x264-in-MP4-with-AAC using the freeware XmediaRecode. (I used to convert to xVid-in-AVI-with-MP3.)

The reasons for the conversion are (a) to reduce the file size (b) to set keyframes every second (ie, set "25" in XmediaRecode). This allows me to see everything when fastforwarding at 16x. And (c) to tidy the capture. Specifically Deinterlace, Set Aspect Ratio, Crop 2 lines from the top of the picture, Normalise Volume. I think it takes about 45m for an hour of capture. (I'm not sure of the time because I do batch encoding

Agent_24
11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure what to recommend you actually use but I would definitely NOT recommend Windows Movie Maker.

It'll turn your videos into low-resolution rubbish and only let you use WMV format anyway,