PDA

View Full Version : bad credit history = no broadband

jareemon
10-08-2011, 05:03 PM
well I tried to get broadband connected at my house, but its been decline due to "bad credit history".
what are my options? and dont say prepaid 3g.
do all isps subject the connection to credit checks?

:pf1mobmini:

GameJunkie
10-08-2011, 05:11 PM
weird...

you could ring ISP's and ask???

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Cant remember Xnet doing one on me. And in Telstra's contract all its got is whether I was working or not. Nothing financial. I think they wanted some form of ID which I dont have. Only a passport, which is over 15 yrs old

Iantech
10-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Hmmm, how far do you want to go on this issue...

According to the UN (of which NZ is a founding member), it is your Human Right to have access to the Internet (because it is considered vital in ensuring your freedom of expression).

SO, my question is... can you be stopped from having access to the internet, wouldnt an ISP be acting against your human rights by denying you access regardless of your credit rating.

Just an angle that would have a very interesting outcome!!

razzarphenix
10-08-2011, 05:35 PM
well I tried to get broadband connected at my house, but its been decline due to "bad credit history".
what are my options? and dont say prepaid 3g.
do all isps subject the connection to credit checks?

Ring them up and ask about a bond payment, or something perhaps?

Don't know never heard of this before. I would also try several ISP's.

wratterus
10-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow, never heard of this either. They can make you pay the month in advance so I really don't see the problem there, if you're not paying, they cut you off, no drama.

Which ISP is this?

jareemon
10-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I had head about the u.n. thing, so I was a bit surprised about it too. thing is, I didn't even know they were going to do a credit check on me, must be in the fine print. I hadnt even given them I.D. I just got an sms 2 days after signing up, saying it was declined. I didn't think credit checks could be done without ID anyway.
I suppose that anyone pleading basic human rights to broadband would be told they can get prepaid 3g.
my gf is going to put it in her name, though she could get declined to because Telstra clear lodged a huge debt in het name to baycorp/Veda for a phone line under her name. she's never been with Telstra clear though and they're refusing to clear the debt even though Telstra was ordered by the ombudsman to provide the audio recording of my gf making a verbal contract over the phone. Telstra said they 'lost' the recording, but still won't drop the debt.
my father is the auditor-general's assistant and is head of I.t. in his department, I think I will ask him what I can do in term of what the united nations has stated

pctek
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I have. Snap might.
Orcon might too.

Depends how bad your credit is - my son had a wee credit glitch a while ago and got both of the above ISPs.

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
But was the bad credit, because of a previous ISP, telecom, or someone / something else?

8ftmetalhaed
10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I signed up to orcon in my name and because i don't have ANY credit I instead swapped to having it in mum's name.
They rang and asked for id, that was about it.
I simply gave her details instead.

lakewoodlady
10-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Hmmm, how far do you want to go on this issue...

According to the UN (of which NZ is a founding member), it is your Human Right to have access to the Internet (because it is considered vital in ensuring your freedom of expression).

SO, my question is... can you be stopped from having access to the internet, wouldnt an ISP be acting against your human rights by denying you access regardless of your credit rating.

Just an angle that would have a very interesting outcome!!

Jareemon is trying to get Broadband connected. If he applied for dial up would he be treated the same?

LL

Iantech
10-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Jareemon is trying to get Broadband connected. If he applied for dial up would he be treated the same?

LL

If he has been refused due to bad credit rating, I would think he would be refused regardless if he was asking for broadband or dialup. They simply feel he is to greater risk to have on their books is the way I take it.

I always thought you actually pay your phone/internet services for the month in advance anyway, so if there wasnt a payment for the coming month they would disconect it until paid so dont understand what the issue really is. However I'm not the account holder where I am now, so Im not sure this is the case anymore. Maybe someone can confirm that.

I dont think the human rights thing has ever really been tested out, not in NZ anyway that Im aware of, it would be an interesting outcome but I reckon worth a shot as a very last resort. I would exhaust all other options first and if it was me would be ringing every ISP in the area. You may find some of the smaller ISP's might take you, even if you got a base plan with a data cap until you proved you were a trustworthy customer (in their eyes).

I wish you every ounce of luck jareemon and hope your father can offer a solution. Cheers.

PaulD
10-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I always thought you actually pay your phone/internet services for the month in advance anyway, so if there wasnt a payment for the coming month they would disconect it until paid so dont understand what the issue really is. However I'm not the account holder where I am now, so Im not sure this is the case anymore. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Basic rentals and plan charges might be payable in advance but toll and data usage if applicable would have to be after the event.

Good luck with the "human rights" idea, it's probably a right to get paid for services rendered too :p

Billy T
11-08-2011, 12:35 AM

My take on that is that it is a commercial decision, not a political act, and as such has nothing whatsoever to do with human rights.

The only human right involved (if indeed it is one) is the right to access the web, which he has, but that does not include free service, or oblige any ISP to provide service to a bad credit risk. They can always exercise that right by paying cash to access the web at an internet cafe etc, or even use a public library.

If it was indeed a human right that overrode the commercial rights of the proprietor, you'd have every no-hoper lining up for free petrol, or taking cars from sales yards because it is their human right to have freedom of travel.

So, to sum up then, and using my right to freedom of expression on my paid-for internet connection:

wotaloadofoldbollocks :groan:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Iantech
11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
wotaloadofoldbollocks :groan:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Couldnt agree with you more Billy, I was a bit stunned to see they had added it to the human rights list.

Saying that though, you wouldnt get all the no-hopers lining up for fuel and cars, freedom of travel could be walking, yet, in order to have the right for access to the internet, you have to have internet access and the only way to get that is through an ISP.

See, there is to much of a grey area I think. I think they said that, but didnt think it through very well on how it would operate (no surprises there).

stu161204
11-08-2011, 02:21 AM
If you got "bad credit history", then you will need to get that sorted other wise your going to keep having problems (like buying a house, car etc....)

My :2cents:

jareemon
11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
If you got "bad credit history", then you will need to get that sorted other wise your going to keep having problems (like buying a house, car etc....)

My :2cents:

thanks stu, already on it :)

pctek
11-08-2011, 10:34 AM
"According to the UN , it is your Human Right to have access to the Internet (because it is considered vital in ensuring your freedom of expression).

wouldnt an ISP be acting against your human rights"

No.

Access to the internet is available through lots of places. Libraries for instance.

Doesn't mean companies need to provide you with free broadband to your home.

linw
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
And if you sued an ISP the money that went to lawyers would enable you to buy your own ISP!!

Nomad
11-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I know that mobile phone contract plans used to do a credit check on you .... They did on me and I passed :D

Iantech
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
"According to the UN , it is your Human Right to have access to the Internet (because it is considered vital in ensuring your freedom of expression).

wouldnt an ISP be acting against your human rights"

No.
Want to expand on that a little? Why wouldnt it be?

Doesn't mean companies need to provide you with free broadband to your home.
Not talking about it being free, he is prepared to pay for the service, just no one will provide it (so far).

An interesting debate....

jareemon
11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
isps are of course willing to offer me prepaid broadband via 3g, so technically I am not being denied my basic right to internet access. If it was available, is happily settle for prepaid Adsl :D

pctek
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Not talking about it being free, he is prepared to pay for the service, just no one will provide it (so far).

An interesting debate....
Yes, but bad credit generally means at some point you didn't pay. Hook you up - not paying bill - free broadband. Look at it from their point of view.

Agent_24
11-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I always thought you actually pay your phone/internet services for the month in advance anyway, so if there wasnt a payment for the coming month they would disconect it until paid so dont understand what the issue really is.

We never paid in advance to Telecom until they upgraded us to the Total Home 40GB package (soon to be upgraded again to 60GB at the end of this month :D)

Billy T
12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Cin order to have the right for access to the internet, you have to have internet access and the only way to get that is through an ISP. See, there is to much of a grey area I think. I think they said that, but didnt think it through very well on how it would operate (no surprises there).

In truth there is no grey area here at all. The service is available from a private enterprise commercial entity. The right to access is there and is unfettered by anything other than commercial considerations.

It is then up to the individual to purchase the means by which they can exercise that right, starting in most cases by buying a computer.

We have a right to freedom of travel on the high seas or in the air, and there are no blockades or or other barriers preventing that travel, but we will not be transported free of charge.

So, if Jareemon wants internet access, he will have to either sort out his credit rating, or purchase prepaid bandwidth. His ability to exercise any notional or actual human right to web access is defined by his own actions (those that caused the poor credit rating). Fix that up and all will be sweet.

To be fair though, he was not asking for web access as a human right, he just wanted to know how to overcome the barriers created by his previous poor credit history. If we knew the extent of that problem, and I note he does have access to be online here, perhaps we could offer constructive assistance.

So what is wrong with prepaid 3G, or prepaid anything? or perhaps even FreeNet? I used them for years on one single $10 prepayment by always staying within their monthly data limit.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Bobh
12-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I remember seeing that advert on TV where a woman was denied a phone connection because of her credit rating. Of course it was her cousin's fault.

Eziphone (http://www.eziphone.co.nz/) do offer Internet and broadband service.

pctek
13-08-2011, 09:17 AM
$24 a week!!! LOL, for landline.

Agent_24
13-08-2011, 10:32 AM
What a ripoff... they're over TWICE the price of Telecom!

dustcap
15-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Im on Orcon too. They didnt ask me for anything. I signed up online and a couple days later got a text saying I was connected. And my credits buggered!! Cant even get a $20 overdraft with my bank!!