PDA

View Full Version : OCR ?

Woody
09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
My previous scanner (now defunct and replaced) came with a very good OCR prog but my replacement does not.
Any suggestions of a good Optical Character Recognition prog and poss supplier?
Current scanner is Epson Perfection V200. Exccellent machine but I do need OCR from time to time.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Here's a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_optical_character_recognition_software)

Dont know where you can get them here tho. Unless you buy it online

Ive tried a program called NitroPDF OCR, its not bad. But its not free

dugimodo
09-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Can you not use the old program with the new scanner? I was still using epson printCD occasionally which came with a printer I long since got rid of until I recently discovered my version of nero could do the same. Often if you browse the install CD you can find setup files for individual programs.

Woody
09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks Speedy,
ABBY was my original prog but I no longer have the disk.
Unfortunately it now looks a bit pricey. Will think a bit more.

Tthanx again

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2011, 05:23 PM
But does printcd or Nero support OCR / text? I cant remember Nero scanning documents / text

Paul.Cov
09-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I had Xerox OCR, which proved very handy on very rare occasions, but I've somehow misplaced the CD, so my only working copy is on an old W98 machine.

Wonder if the linux community will have any OCR software under GPL?

dugimodo
10-08-2011, 10:21 AM
But does printcd or Nero support OCR / text? I cant remember Nero scanning documents / text

Lol no sorry, they are cd labelling programs I was just using them as an example of using old software on new hardware.

I haven't bothered with OCR myself in years, have no use for it.

SP8's
10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a copy of ABBY on an Epson TX100 install disc ... any use ??

Just checked and not sure whether it's ABBYY OCR or Fine Reader .... will have to do some more investigation before opening my big mouth !!

Seems as though Abbyy Finereader IS OCR .... I may be of use after all ... :D

SP8's
10-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I assume you've lost your install disc because according to this

http://www.scannergalaxy.com/showroom/2816.cfm

OCR Software comes with it. May be worthwhile checking your installed software or do a search for it ... sometimes it doesn't install automatically.