PDA

View Full Version : cd-rom dissapearence

11-10-2001, 03:20 PM
486-dx4-100
win95 sr2
Benn working ok for some time
was installing a program & got err msg 'unable to find program XXX: insert disk containing win95 into cdrom. It was all ready in there.
on checking explorer & my comp no cd rom was showing.
re-powered still not there.
tried 'add new h/ware' in control panel, both auto detect and manual with driver disk in A: but this caused continue re-boot so reversed this out.
win95 now running ok but very slow and still no cd-rom.

Any idears please.

11-10-2001, 04:03 PM
Have you moved your computer at all recently? I'm wondering whether the IDE cable from your CD-rom has come unplugged, and needs plugging back in.
If you can open and close the drive, then obviously the power is working okay.
Can you access the CD-rom drive if you boot into DOS (as opposed to opening a Dos window).

11-10-2001, 07:07 PM
No h/w movements of late
cable seating OK
configured as slave off C:drive
dos does not see either.
power OK can insert/remove disk OK.
at bootup win95 checks cdrom (activity LED flashes)

Have now lost zip100 drv (probably at same time as cdrom but only recently tried to use it ).
downstream daisy chained ptr still works OK.
tried uninstall from cntl pnl worked OK but following install failed.
unable see in dos also.
win95 bootup does access zip same as cdrom above.

help !

11-10-2001, 10:12 PM
Hi Phil,

After reading this and the follow up posts, it sounds to me that you might have corrupted Win95 with the aborted program install. You may have to reinstall Win95 to rectify things. The Win95 boot disk probably doesn't have the drivers for accessing CD-Rom drive anyway so booting off that disk won't tell you much.

Rod.

12-10-2001, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you are running with dos compatible drivers for your hardrive and probably A drive, and not detecting the zip or cdrom.

13-10-2001, 01:26 AM
Most probably real mode CDROM driver has got loaded, look in C:\config.sys, you should find a cdrom driver listed as a 'device=.....'
delete that line , save config.sys and reboot.
This should solve the problem

Also dont put CDROM as slave to HDD, keep it as master on the secondary IDE interface.

13-10-2001, 01:59 PM
only thing in c:\config.sys is lastdrive=z
cdrom has been working ok for quite some time as slave off C drive 2nd ide has two other drives on it both working ok.
note that zip100 has dissapeared as well and system as slowed up a heck of a lot.

i have a bad feeling that i am going to have to reinstall win95, i hope not !

14-10-2001, 11:56 PM
Hi Phil, Have you got access to a win 98 or win Me machine? If so make a start up disk & try it on your 95 machine, select start with cd-rom support & see if it detects cd-rom, at least then you will know if it is a hardware or software problem.
PS: when using startup disk the cdrom drive letter will be pushed back 1 letter.eg: if it was d: it will become E:
cheers steve

15-10-2001, 02:13 PM
I was confident that the prob was s/ware.
staertup disk and indeed win95 booted ok but no cdrom or zip disk.
I have solved the prob now.
there are two little routines in windows and dos specially to fix this prob
they are called FDISK & FORMAT
:-((
unfortunately i had to do a complete reinstall of win95 and all my progies.
everything now ok again.
Many thanks to you all who responded and helped.
Phil H.