PDA

View Full Version : Stupid DVD

JJJJJ
09-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I insert a CVC or CD and let it self load. I get the card saying "open to read files with windows explorer". I clidk on it and up comes a page saying drag files here to add to DVD.
I just can't read the disk. I don't want to add. I just want to see what's on the disk.
Jack

ronyville
09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
are you sure its not a blank dvd that you have put in?

pctek
09-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Skipping pop-up boxes, and opening Windows Explorer, clicking the Optical drive letter shows what when you do that instead?

JJJJJ
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Skipping pop-up boxes, and opening Windows Explorer, clicking the Optical drive letter shows what when you do that instead?

No.clicking the drive letter produces the same result.

NOT a blank disk either. Several disks all the same. They have all worked properly in the past too.

ronyville
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
what if you right-click on the drive letter and choose "explore" ?

Billy T
09-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Try holding down Ctrl then inserting the disk. Don't let go of the Ctrl key until you hear the drive slow down, then look for the content under the drive letter like any other drive. I use that method to bypass auto-start and other inconveniences so it might just work for this disk too.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

dugimodo
09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Maybe the drives laser is failing and windows thinks they are blank, or some weird software bug is making it think that. A variation on whats already suggested, right click the drive and chose explore - probably same result but just see if it is.

Also right click and go to properties, if it says 0 bytes used it's not reading the disk. If possible connect the drive to another computer and see if it works properly.

Edit: I type slow, people always beat me to it :)

JJJJJ
11-08-2011, 05:19 PM
I have tried suggestions with no luck.
All my disks (6 of them) are the same. They all show about three and a half gigs used and about half of a gig unused.
But the moment I try to read the disk the "drag files to this page etc." page pops up.
If I drag another file in it is copied to disk. Then when I try to read it ,I CAN. But nothing else on the disk shows up. So I don't think it is a faulty drive.
I am using windows 7 64 bit and I have a SSD hard drive.
I am useing the windows disk writer and have had no trouble in the past.
Jack

wratterus
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Is is possible to try a different drive Jack? I too think the drive may be failing.

dugimodo
12-08-2011, 01:09 AM
when you drag a file to it and then can read it you actually aren't. You are reading windows cached ready to burn folder.

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Its not the most reliable way to burn to DVD in Windows

JJJJJ
14-08-2011, 11:00 AM
My HD partitions are formatted to NTFS, but my DVD's are UDF.
Is this the cause of problem?
If it is, can I recover material from disk?
Jack

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2011, 11:58 AM
CD's and DVD 's cant be formatted in NTFS. That applies to hdd's not CD's.