PDA

View Full Version : NTFS format

11-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Could someone who uses NTFS tell me if there is any real advantage in useing it. Is it really any better than FAT32?
Is there any problems with it, and any glitches with it?
I am currently useing Win XP build 2505 and intend buying the release version when available. I am thinking of switching to NTFS at the same time.
Thanks for any comment,
Jack

11-10-2001, 02:56 PM
NTFS is much more capable and feature-rich than FAT32, giving you things like encryption, streams and journalling, as well as Access Control Lists and object permissions.

Some Windows 2000 features won't work without NTFS, in fact.

However, the features come at a price. NTFS has higher overhead than FAT32, and you can expect roughly 10% slower performance (this is dependent on the rest of your hardware).

You can tweak NTFS to regain some of the lost performance, by turning off file access time/date stamping, and also by keeping the system swap file on a FAT partition, not an NTFS one.

Also note that in case of a system failure, it's harder to access data on an NTFS-formatted disk than one with the FAT32 file system. You can't just boot up the system with a DOS floppy, and have access to your files (an NTFS driver is required).

You'll have to weigh up the pros of the added features with the cons of a slight performance loss and increased complexity.

11-10-2001, 08:14 PM
Wait for it.....

You don't have to wait for scandisk to do it's 'thing' after resetting, as it doesn't need to.

I knew you'd be excited!

//end.of=sarcasm

11-10-2001, 08:22 PM
I haven't used NTFS much myself, but from what i've been told its faster than FAT (it would be very hard to make it slower than FAT).

FAT is about the slowest file system around because it keeps the file table at the start of the drive which means it has to move the drive head back and foward a lot, which is the slowest operation the drive does. So it gets slower the larger the partition.

FAT also gets inefficent on large partitions (spacewise), and as your probably awear gets fragmented quickly.

The recomendation seems to be that NTFS is faster for partitions larger than 400MB.

12-10-2001, 05:25 AM
Sounds interesting.Would you reccomend it for a home computer? Mainly used for Genealogy, word processing, and the net.
Cheers,Jack