PDA

View Full Version : SCAM Warning

ManUFan
08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Git the following in an e-mail this morning.

Interestingly enough the link leads to a site in Taiwan(?)

Didn't know the IRD had gone offshore.....:lol:

Dear valued member,

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you
are eligible to receive a tax refund of 54.90 NZ Dollars. Please submit the tax refund
request and allow us 2-3 days in order to process it.
Click link below to submit your tax refund request.

http://ec19.ec.kuas.edu.tw/ird5a.html != www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-individual/refundForm/

Note : A refund can be delayed a variety of reasons, for example submitting invalid
records or applying after deadline.

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39050
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

For more info on government services go to newzealand.govt.nz

Copyright 2011 Inland Revenue

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.ird.govt.nz/

On the homepage is "Warning about suspicious emails" ;)

Definitely a fan of submitting your own tax return online. Got back over $2500 over the last two years by DIY. Wrote a blog post about how to do it, helped heaps of mates and things too, it's awesome. Stuff paying the likes of nztaxrefunds etc who take a massive chunk :(

linw
08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Yea, online returns are good. No more adding 27A,B,D,G then subtracting 29B etc!!

8ftmetalhaed
08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
put the link in code, just in case any guests get hit. you never know.

Agent_24
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Most recent one I got told me I had won the FBI lottery and I should contact UPS to retrieve my 2 million pounds sterling.... :waughh:

linw
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Anyone know if clicking to the site delivers bad stuff? (No, I didn't, but someone rang me who seems to have though!).

Tplw9
08-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Do some looking Into it before you do anything.

:pf1mobmini:

Agent_24
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Anyone know if clicking to the site delivers bad stuff? (No, I didn't, but someone rang me who seems to have though!).

It's quite possible that phishing sites etc would also contain a drive-by download or similar to maximise the effect.

I wouldn't go near it (or any of them) with a 40ft barge pole myself.

linw
08-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, I certainly didn't mean I was going to try it!!

Guess I had better visit and run the usual checks over the 84 yr old's comp!

ledzep
09-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I've had ones from IRD that include a phone number for me to call. So far the numbers have been to "call centres" in Poland, Iridium satellite phone, and Bangladesh!

Billy T
09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I screen all incoming email through Mailwasher, which marks for deletion anything registered in its database or that I have previously tagged, and for what's left after that it lets me look at the headers and the message, plus any payload to make up my own mind.

You can easily see what's what, and although I usually know already that it is spam, a scam or whatever, I occasionally take a quick look to see what else is there as well. I get the occasional email that is not immediately classifiable, but it doesn't take long to work ouy whether I want it or not.

Personally I reckon that Mailwasher is the best thing since sliced bread.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)