PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Data Usage

bk T
08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I've got Networx software installed on both of our computers to monitor the data usage. We did some large downloads yesterday and the Networx usage recorded 22GB but Telecom's usage meter shows we have downloaded 41 GB yesterday, that is almost double of our actual usage.

Phoned Telecom but to no avail.

What do you guys suggest my next move?

psycik
08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I've got Networx software installed on both of our computers to monitor the data usage. We did some large downloads yesterday and the Networx usage recorded 22GB but Telecom's usage meter shows we have downloaded 41 GB yesterday, that is almost double of our actual usage.

Phoned Telecom but to no avail.

What do you guys suggest my next move?

Depends if your 22gb was legal or not... if was a legal download, then get Telecom to investigate, as they have been refunding customers for a billing fault earlier in the year (and last year).

bk T
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Is there any other 'better' software to monitor network data usage to recommend?

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Do it from your router. What make / model do you have ?

bk T
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Do it from your router. What make / model do you have ?

1. Linksys 160N, or

2. Telecom's Thomson TG585 v8

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2011, 09:25 AM
One of those should support the relevant information via SNMP.

Try MRTG: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/index.en.html

Billy T
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, I've just spent 20 minutes on the phone to Telecom and I'm reasonably happy with the outcome. I got a second substantial credit from the 123 call (without even asking for it) before I was transferred to the Broadband people and they confirmed that the usage I see is precisely the same as Telecom's meter. I guess all this means is that the program I use is looking at Telecom's data, but at least I know for sure what I'm being billed for, correct or not.

They say that their meter is now accurate, but that doesn't fit with our continued high usage rate, because logic says that if my meter is reading identical data to theirs, it should by now be showing a significant reduction as a result of the metering fix, but it isn't.

I'd suspect my son's usage because he was doing quite a lot of downloading for his Honours studies, but that phase is now over, and shows up clearly as a reduction in usage since June. However, there is no equivalent drop for the metering correction.

Apparently my plan is about to be upgraded to 40GB for the same price as we have been paying for 20GB, so that takes care of overruns, in fact I could probably go down one step and save a little money since 20GB is plenty for me, but I won't, because the extra headroom will be useful just in case. I'd add the local traffic monitoring suggested by Chill but it sounds like quite a mission to set up and I can't afford that much time at present.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
How about something a lot simpler, like this?
http://software.ccschmidt.de/inftraf_detail.html

Basically you just need to enable SNMP in your router. If you can do that, then ^^ will grab the details for you :)

bk T
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
How about something a lot simpler, like this?
http://software.ccschmidt.de/inftraf_detail.html

Basically you just need to enable SNMP in your router. If you can do that, then ^^ will grab the details for you :)

Thanks.

My Linksys is about dead, so have to rely on Thomson, browse through settings for quite sometime but could not find any option to enable/disable SNMP. Any indication it should be under what heading/category?

bk T
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Looks like will have to get the highly recommended Netcomm NB6PLUS4Wn. Is this capable of monitoring the data from within?

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes apparently SNMP is, though in a couple of firmware versions they removed it but AFAIK it was re-added in the latest versions.

Edit: See here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1159152

bk T
09-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Chilling, before I rush to buy the new Netcomm tomorrow, are you very sure that I can configure it to monitor the data from within the router?

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Nope, not 100%. Only some firmware versions support SNMP.

Confirm with the shop that you can bring it back if the version they supply doesn't, or if you can't find a firmware to upgrade / downgrade to.

bk T
10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
OK. Bought it from PB Tech this afternoon, checked and confirmed that it is SNMP capable.

It's original F/W is 3.103m, and the latest firmware available is 3.104k. Is it recommended to upgrade the firmware? If the new F/W doesn't support SNMP, can I downgrade it?

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't, if it currently has SNMP, I'd just stick with it, unless something is broken.

nedkelly
10-08-2011, 07:32 PM
chilling you should get some kind of discount from PB tech for all the people you send to them to buy the Netcomm Router

bk T
10-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Will take your advice not to upgrade the F/W.

Anyway, just for my info, 'if' I flashed the firmware but doesn't like it and would like to revert to the original, the 'reset' (tiny pin hole at the rear) to factory default will restore the original firmware?

CliveM
10-08-2011, 09:43 PM
The factory reset will not change the firmware. If you check you will see that the latest firmware is only a minor change which you are unlikely to need anyway.

Chilling_Silence
11-08-2011, 09:26 AM
chilling you should get some kind of discount from PB tech for all the people you send to them to buy the Netcomm Router

I already have quite a high-level dealers account with them, I put through *so* much of my own just helping out friends and family (not even actually running a business, I don't do that anymore), but what'd be real nice is some form of a kickback from the referrals :p

bk T
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Regretfully, this NetComm NB6Plus4Wn unit does not live up to my expection:
1. Wireless signal strength is weaker than the Thomson TG585 v8
2. Download speed is much worse than the Thomson TG585, too.

The wired part of it is OK (same as the Thomson) though.

Because of the above, I've returned it to PB for a refund.

nedkelly
12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
You dont like the Netcomm?
This is the first time I have heard of someone saying that.

wratterus
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Same here, I have seen many TG585s and the wireless has been awful. They occasionally do sync faster than the netcomms, but the netcomm seems to have a far more stable connection. What good is a slightly faster connection if it drops out twice a day?

Very surprised. :(

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Nah it's just the default setting. Change it from 40hz channels to 20hz (Or something to that effect) and the throughput increases significantly.

bk T
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Same here, I have seen many TG585s and the wireless has been awful. They occasionally do sync faster than the netcomms, but the netcomm seems to have a far more stable connection. What good is a slightly faster connection if it drops out twice a day?

Very surprised. :(

Have been using this Thomson for 2+ weeks, no problems encountered

Nah it's just the default setting. Change it from 40hz channels to 20hz (Or something to that effect) and the throughput increases significantly.
Tried that without any improvement!

wratterus
12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
What speeds were you getting when copying files around using the wireless? Had you tried changing the channel to auto if it wasn't already selected?

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah coz I got *better* with the N over the TG585's, quite significantly better, even using only G-wireless.

That's aside from the fact the crappy TG585's have major issues with joining wifi and dhcp leases... ;)