PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to watch BBC TV in New Zealand? And is the quality good?

ssssss
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I have just seen that there is a program called Expat Shield that is supposed to let you do this. Is it a safe download?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Look in Google (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Expat+Shield+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). Looks like its free, but it does have / use ads

ssssss
09-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the link, Speedy Gonzales.

The Cnet download site users have given many negative experiences, so I am not going to try it.

BBCmicro
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
My reading of the CNET comments suggests it's quite good. (unless something has happened in the last month)

Seems people expect it automatically to run BBC iPlayer or whatever and complain when it doesn't. Actually it just provides an IP proxy address (surrounded by advertising) and you need to choose what to connect to.

Seems that if you take control over the browser you use, no problem - and quality reportedly quite good. That's my reading (but haven't tried it)

Lawrence
09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Any VPN that uses Proxy "IP" addresses in either the UK or the States,you can access either iplayer (UK) or Hulu (States)

ledzep
09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
You can get BBC TV using a satellite dish (90 cm or larger, preferably 1.2 m) and a C-band LNB. A bit tricky to set up but it does work ok. An internet feed may be easier to set up, but the satellite is 100% free ongoing once the initial investment is paid for.

goodiesguy
09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I want bbc.

Barnabas
09-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I use witopia vpn (cost about $35 per year) which allows me to watch BBC Iplayer, Hulu etc. Really enjoyed watching tour de france coverage on ITV4 in the UK.

globe
09-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the link, Speedy Gonzales.

The Cnet download site users have given many negative experiences, so I am not going to try it.

I downloaded and tried this. Seems fine to me.