PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connection is giving me some problems

Nhashon
08-08-2011, 12:17 AM
I have a laptop , HP Pavillion dv7 , it's a Intel i7 , just bought it recently . The operating system is windows 7 , Home Premium . It's a 64 bit operating system . Those are the good stuff but i have but the problem im having is that my wireless connection keeps dropping , sometimes when watching youtube , connection signals lows down or completely drops which means , not connected to the network . Some things to note down is , i have a telecom wireless modems router , i have a personal laptop , though brother has got personal home computer which that is not wireless , it's a wired connection , hardly that goes down . So from my side i did alot of research on the internet , and found some weird and funny things . Now i want to see if there is anyone out there who could assist me solve this problem .

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2011, 09:48 AM
How far away from the router are you?

Nhashon
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Well it's hard for me to measure , but it takes about 12 small steps to get to the router , and also note that sometimes i have full signal , but speed of the connection slows down

wainuitech
08-08-2011, 07:50 PM
:2cents:

While this may be completely off track, if its reasonably new, try running the windows update manually. New laptops /PC's will have a mountain of updates come through automatically, including SP1 if its not already installed.

If these are coming through, and making changes to your system ( which SP1 will) these can cause all sorts of connection problems, especially with wireless.

Jen
08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
You don't have a cordless phone or microwave interfering with the signal?

Nhashon
09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
can be , be because i have two cordless phones a microwave . so , shall i do a windows update to fix the issue or what can i do

09-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Best 100% fix: plug it into the modem/router via a cable, especially if youre in the same room anyway

wifi can be a funny thing
Some sites just NEVER have reliable wifi
other sites wifi works really well when it shouldnt (through 3 floors, or access point in a garage with foil insulation on roof & walls)
I had one site when wifi in the same room as the router was unreliable on 3 PC's, yet the PC down the hall in another room was working perfectly off that same router.

a few things to try
change the wifi channel, setup a new password WPA2
see who else is connecting to your wifi router , look in the routers setup menus/logs
set wifi to G only (or N)
disconnect & turn off microwave / cordless phones/ mobile phones
use power on the laptop, not batt
change laptop power saving settings, disable power save on the inbuilt wifi
bios & driver updates on the laptop
move the wifi router somewhere else in the room

Nhashon
09-08-2011, 02:31 PM
oh ok well i will try that , but i cannot change the wifi channel to setup a new password WPA2 becaue i have a telecome broadband i think . If you think you can let me know how ? How can i set wifi to G only (or N). What does this mean , please can you tell me , use power on the laptop, not batt. How can you update bios & driver updates on the laptop .

Nhashon
09-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Will installing a new router help solve the problems , the new "N" ones . If yes , what brand ?

Nhashon
09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
i recently did a hp support assistant via it's software , and i found everything working well , i though also did a windows update , the important ones and optional , so hope my problem is now solved