PDA

View Full Version : Is buying a new video card really necessary for Windows 7?

undiejuice
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello,

I have a graphics card in mind I would like to purchase. Only because it would work under the Windows 7 operating system and hopefully it will also integrate with other operating systems in the years to come.

I am currently using an old graphics card which does the trick under Windows 7, but has no drivers for it, so have to use the default or alternative. Just yesterday I brought a 22 inch monitor after years of using the traditional CRT type. All is good I can say for now except that the text on screen does not have the crispy look to it when viewing large or small text content on web pages.

I don't know if this is the norm, or this is in relation to my monitor or the graphics card? My main argument is, would purchasing the (agp 8x) graphics card type make the text and colours more crispier from what I am used to seeing on the CRT monitor?

If buying one for Windows 7, is this going to enhance my experience furthermore or is there is no really big deal to graphic cards unless I am only into heavy gaming?

I hope I made this post all sense. If you can suggest other methods, that would help me tremendously.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Details:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
* Monitor: Chimei (CMV 221D) - Second hand because I am a poor student
* My Graphics card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X, NVIDIA compatible
* Graphics card for Windows 7: EVGA GeForece 6200 AGP Graphics Card

* My usage:

My main use is purely for writing out my assignments, online research, watching the odd video on YouTube, some multimedia web design applications, and some gaming (but not heavy user)

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Enable cleartype if it isnt ticked. Right mouse on the desktop / personalize / click on display / adjust cleartype text. Its probably the card / mobo (its out of date). Why there's no drivers for Windows 7

feersumendjinn
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
You probably have your monitor set to the CRT settings (1024x768?), which is why it's blurry.

Enjoy bright, vibrant images with 1680 x 1050 pixels of WSXGA+ resolution,
From here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008
The above is the native resolution of this monitor, and at a refresh rate of 60hz; if your present video card can't manage this you may need to upgrade.

To adjust your resolution, go here:

Tplw9
07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Make sure it's at native res

:pf1mobmini:

dugimodo
08-08-2011, 01:51 AM
I would suggest that not having drivers is preventing the monitor from being detected or allowing the correct resolution to be set.

are you certain nvidia don't have drivers available? If not the 6200 would work

pctek
08-08-2011, 08:24 AM
If buying one for Windows 7, is this going to enhance my experience furthermore or is there is no really big deal to graphic cards unless I am only into heavy gaming?

* Graphics card for Windows 7: EVGA GeForece 6200 AGP Graphics Card

some gaming (but not heavy user)

You do not need a graphics card to "enhance" Windows. You need an up to date driver for the GPU however, but that is regardless if you use a separate graphics card on the onboard GPU.

For gaming though, yes, it's the single most important component in the entire system.

You can't be playing anything very new if you're using such an old card.

Change to the new one and download the driver, then set your monitor resolution (although it should auto do this after) to it's native resolution.

That will make Windows prettier.

SolMiester
08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Windows 7 DOES NOT have drivers for NV Ti 4 series, that's from like 2002. So W7 is using standard VGA drivers for the GPU, hence native resolutions for your new monitor is not supported.
New GPU required........

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Enable cleartype if it isnt ticked. Right mouse on the desktop / personalize / click on display / adjust cleartype text. Its probably the card / mobo (its out of date). Why there's no drivers for Windows 7

Thanks. Unfortunate for me, this is already selected by default here on Windows 7. Yes the card is old version, but I am not sure whether buying a brand new one will make it any different. Some how the text looks a little blurry and fague to read too.

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 02:50 PM
You probably have your monitor set to the CRT settings (1024x768?), which is why it's blurry.

From here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008
The above is the native resolution of this monitor, and at a refresh rate of 60hz; if your present video card can't manage this you may need to upgrade.

To adjust your resolution, go here:

Hi. My resolution is actually set at 1280x1024 @ 60hz which is the maximum in (Windows 7). In Windows XP, it allows me more screen resolution. Windows 7, only sees my video card as a: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, which explains the poor quality. Netherless, even in the Windows XP environment, with the correct drivers installed, it appears to be slightly better, but not better in my opinion as the CRT monitor.

The PC World Press F1 logo and the navigation text looks perfect to read, but as for all of the text for writing this is really blurry.

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Make sure it's at native res

Ok. What constitutes a native resolution? 1024 x 768?, 1280 x 1024, 800 x 600? These are my only available options in Windows 7.

Thanks

pcuser42
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi. My resolution is actually set at 1280x1024 @ 60hz which is the maximum in (Windows 7).

That's because, as explained above, Windows 7 does not have drivers for the card. Buying a new GPU and using that card's drivers will enable higher resolutions to be used, including 1680x1050.

(Windows 7 successfully detected my three year old Raedon HD and booted up at 1920x1080 with Aero on on first boot :))

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
You do not need a graphics card to "enhance" Windows. You need an up to date driver for the GPU however, but that is regardless if you use a separate graphics card on the onboard GPU.

For gaming though, yes, it's the single most important component in the entire system.

You can't be playing anything very new if you're using such an old card.

Change to the new one and download the driver, then set your monitor resolution (although it should auto do this after) to it's native resolution.

That will make Windows prettier.

Hahaaa....I just hope buying another graphics card is the right investment and decision to make reading text like this any better? If it turns out to be custard, its money down the drain and makes my experience using Windows 7 less pretty. LOL.

What does GPU mean? (I guess, you'll tell me to google it)

inphinity
08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
The native resolution of the CMV 221D is 1680x1050, but without supported graphics drivers you're unlikely to be able to set it to that. As Sol has pointed out, Windows 7 does not have drivers for the GeForce 4200 series, and in fact as they are a DX7/8 card they fall below the minimum system requirements for Windows 7 (which specifies a DX9-compliant GPU).

I'd suggest you'll need to upgrade to a DX9-compliant/Win7-supported GPU, get a monitor whose native resolution is available to the standard VGA drivers, or put up with it.

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=I'd suggest you'll need to upgrade to a DX9-compliant/Win7-supported GPU, get a monitor whose native resolution is available to the standard VGA drivers, or put up with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed when I tried to look for Windows 7 drivers for my graphics card with no success.

Oh dam, are you suggesting I have to buy another monitor as well? What the 'fish'....

I just hope that buying the card is a good investment, because really I don't want to upgrade, but have been forced to by my institution in using Office 2010 (which I can't stand) and Windows 8 (instead of XP) to follow suite.

Thanks for your help too.

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I would suggest that not having drivers is preventing the monitor from being detected or allowing the correct resolution to be set.

are you certain nvidia don't have drivers available? If not the 6200 would work

Yeah I tried using the alternative drivers, but Windows 7 would not let me. I just want to be sure that buying another graphics card is the right way to go. Ok, graphic cards can be pricy, so I want to be certain, I have made the right decision before buying a new one which can accomodate for Windows 7. I really hope that reading text will improve greatly on a LCD monitor.

I can still read text, but I have to lean back a little to read it better.

inphinity
08-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I noticed when I tried to look for Windows 7 drivers for my graphics card with no success.

Oh dam, are you suggesting I have to buy another monitor as well? What the 'fish'....

I just hope that buying the card is a good investment, because really I don't want to upgrade, but have been forced to by my institution in using Office 2010 (which I can't stand) and Windows 8 (instead of XP) to follow suite.

Thanks for your help too.

No, that monitor will be fine, IF you get a GPU with drivers. Otherwise, if you don't want to do that, you could get a monitor whose resolution is supported by the standard VGA driver, to resolve the clarity issue.

Personally, given the machine has a 4200Ti, I'd just be buying a new PC.

undiejuice
08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone for all your input. My guess I have no choice but to upgrade to another video card. I just hope this is the right move for me because graphic cards are not like 'leaves' on a tree. I have to assure myself that my investment in a reasonable and suitable card will do the job and I can read and type the text better.

SolMiester
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
You may well find it hard to get a AGP slot DX9 card, as that architecture was superceded back in 2006?
To summarise, your video card is not supported by Windows 7, hence the generic standard video card drivers which dont support wide screen, therefore the LCD monitor cant be used in its native crisp 1680x1050 resolution, causing the blurry text.
Solution, purchase cheap DX9 AGP video card (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=160822) @ $64

dugimodo
08-08-2011, 05:07 PM
A little explanation which might help you understand.

GPU = graphics processing unit, or just your graphics card. Easier to type I guess.

LCD monitors do not scale well which means they only look their best when set to the correct (native) resolution. Yours looks fuzzy because windows can't set the correct resolution without proper drivers so it is set wrong.

Any Graphics card with DX9 support or better and drivers for windows 7 should fix this problem.

All this has been covered more or less, I was just trying to make it clear.

Nomad
08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
wouldn't it be better to get a new cheap motherboard for about $100, $100 CPU. The motherboard has a buitlin video card that can handle any resolutions you want for normal work .... and you can use your current monitor. Much faster than upgrading just the video card. And some Ram for $60.

icow
08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
wouldn't it be better to get a new cheap motherboard for about $100, $100 CPU. The motherboard has a buitlin video card that can handle any resolutions you want for normal work .... and you can use your current monitor. Much faster than upgrading just the video card. And some Ram for $60.

aka AMD Athlon II X2 265 and a asus m468t-m