PDA

View Full Version : Word97 again Corrupted File

11-10-2001, 12:05 PM
OK here we go again
The corrupted file is(Program Files/.../Normal.dot.)
Hope that helps
Next little box also comes up reading (Changes have been made to the global template,Normal. Do you want to save these changes)
I don't know where all this stuff comes from because I'm to dumb to change anything
How about some help from the BIG GUYS running the show?

11-10-2001, 12:22 PM
Normal.dot is the default template that opens when you start a new file in Word.
For it to be corrupted, it sounds like there might be or have been a virus attack - a common target for attacks is Word, as it is used a LOT.
You could try reinstalling or repairing your Word installation, as this should replace normal.dot with the original one, but I'd suggest finding a good antivirus, getting the latest definitions, and running a FULL (every file) virus scan.
I'd suggest Norton antivirus or Panda antivirus.

11-10-2001, 12:49 PM
Close word and delete the normal.dot file (search for it by going to Start / Find / type 'normal.dot'). Word will re-create it when you next lauch word.

11-10-2001, 09:36 PM
Hi Ross,

You could just replace Normal.Dot like it asks you. This happens quite often to me when Word crashes from time to time. If I just click on OK to replace the file there isn't a problem afterwards.

Cheers,
Rod.