PDA

View Full Version : Problem with TP Link TD-W8960N Router

bellyfrog
07-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Hey

I got this router to replace the old tg585v7 and for most things it seems solid however I cannot get my PS3 into DMZ with it which is what I bought it for in the first place.

I'm sure there must be some other PS3 users around with this router since it seems a pretty popular model, does anyone manage to get their games to show "Open" as oppose to "Moderate" with this router?

I've tried wired and wireless connections, with UPnP enabled and disabled, using the default settings, setting up a static IP and putting it into DMZ, manually doing the port forwarding... Whatever I try just constantly returns a "Moderate" firewall status with a message that my router may not support IP fragments which I gather is something to do with MTU settings however editing these values as suggested also has not had any effect.

If anyone could shed some light on this issue I would be eternally grateful! Have been banging my head against a wall trying to fix this for days now.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2011, 09:08 AM
The TP-Links aren't much better than the Thomson's unfortunately. My suggestion would be to save yourself the hassle, take it back to the shop (Tell them it's not fit for the purpose for which it was intended and you want your money back), and get yourself something like a nice Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn. They're dead easy to setup, and if you do a quick search around the forums here you'll find people raving about them :)

I know it's a bit of a pessimistic approach, ditching a new router, but I think you'll regret it in the long-run keeping it.

Welcome to the forums, let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers

Chill.

bellyfrog
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Well if you think thats the best way to go I might have to. But this TP Link was recommended all over a bunch of forums I looked at, what do I do if I get the Netcomm home and continue having this very same problem?!

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Post here asking for help, they're *much* better supported, so many more people have them, and they're infinitely more reliable :)