PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with Sata 3 SSD freezes randomly

powerover
07-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi there guys,

bought a lappy with dual HDD bay, so I put a OCZ Agility 3 SSD in it, with win7 pro 64bit...it goes like the clappers, when it goes that is.

Win 7 is on the SSD, all other stuff is on the conventional 7200rpm HDD.

The problem is the lappy seem to freezes randomly from time to time. When it freezes, the HDD light stays on, the mouse moves, but the lappy is inresponsive to all my inputs.

The duration of the freeze seems to vary greatly. It usually unfreezes itself, when it does that all the auctions I did during the freeze (right clicking, ctrl+alt+delete, etc) are performed pretty much all at once, in a quick succession, if you know what I mean.

Just 5 min ago I discovered that just before the unfreeze, I can hear the HDD starts spinning again, so I think somehow the freeze is related to the lappy turning off the second HDD, I could be wrong tho.

I asked my lappy supplier for help and they pointed me to this thread, to set up the SSD properly, which I followed to the letter:

http://www.xoticpcforums.com/showthread.php?t=6912&page=3
(the 6th reply, by smogfrog)

but it doesn't help, the problem still persists...

Win7 is up to date, as of all the necessary drivers.

I did set up the power options in win7 so it never turns off the HDDs.

Any ideas as to what went wrong? how do I fix this?

Also if someone can point me to the link of the utility for updating the firmware of my SSD it would be great...I cnt find it.. :(

Many thanks in advance :D

Deimos
07-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Have you been to the OCZ forums? this is a known issue, they have released a firmware fix for it but you will need to do a secure erase and reinstall of windows once you have updated the firmware to get the performance back. (I have a Vertex 3 and it was super laggy after updating the firmware, SE and reinstall fixed all that though)

Deimos
07-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Looks like there is a new firmware too, it says that it is not necessary to do a SE and reinstall, but if you have fw older than 2.09 I would say that you definitely should.

good luck.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?91864-Vertex3-Agility3-Solid3-Revo3-Firmware-ver-2.11-is-live-discuss-it-here.

powerover
07-08-2011, 03:59 AM
Gosh gees man that is a lot of drama... :(

will give the linux based firmware update a go...this will be the fourth reinstall now...

did you manually align the drive sectors as mentioned in the thread? or did you jst did the firmware update then SE then reinstall windows?

Thanks very much for your help :D

Deimos
07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
If you are using Windows 7 you don't need to align the partition, Windows 7 is SSD aware, I'm not so sure about vista though, and XP definitely isn't.

Also, after you reinstall make sure you run the Windows experience index, after you run it Windows does some tweaks for the ssd (like disabling defrag)

powerover
07-08-2011, 01:26 PM
OK...I did turn he defrag off, and according to that thread I also tweak a whole lot of stuff like disabling the paging file, enabling large system cache, etc....

went through the firmware update fine....and SSD still haven't freezed since then..so its looking good....

I will report back if the problem persists...

Thanks for your help :D

Deimos
07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
OK...I did turn he defrag off, and according to that thread I also tweak a whole lot of stuff like disabling the paging file, enabling large system cache, etc....

went through the firmware update fine....and SSD still haven't freezed since then..so its looking good....

I will report back if the problem persists...

Thanks for your help :D

I have tried my best to avoid recommendations from the OCZ forums, Windows is capable of configuring itself for best performance (a perfect example is after running the WEI, defrag is disabled for the SSD) the only tweak I did was set my page file to 2GB, Windows likes to set page file size = RAM which is 10% of the SSD size! but you still need a page file for apps like photoshop (which I use a lot).

Don't ever mess with Windows superfetch.

by tweaking as little as possible my system is plenty fast, and quite often the suggested tweaks have either made no difference or introduced some kind of lag.

powerover
07-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I have tried my best to avoid recommendations from the OCZ forums, Windows is capable of configuring itself for best performance (a perfect example is after running the WEI, defrag is disabled for the SSD) the only tweak I did was set my page file to 2GB, Windows likes to set page file size = RAM which is 10% of the SSD size! but you still need a page file for apps like photoshop (which I use a lot).

Don't ever mess with Windows superfetch.

by tweaking as little as possible my system is plenty fast, and quite often the suggested tweaks have either made no difference or introduced some kind of lag.

I was wondering why that thread wanted me to disable superfetch, it suppose to shorten boot times and program loading times right??

I should probably ask that guy :P

Thanks for your help tho :D

Tplw9
07-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Maybe the windows power management thingy is playing up

:pf1mobmini:

Deimos
09-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I was wondering why that thread wanted me to disable superfetch, it suppose to shorten boot times and program loading times right??

I should probably ask that guy :P

Thanks for your help tho :D

Yeah I have no clue either, I did loads of research when I got my first SSD (the original Vertex, horrible drive for running Windows off).

Superfetch was way more aggressive in Vista, on my previous system running Vista all 8GB of ram was in use all the time, loading frequent apps was pretty much instant even on conventional hard drives.

All my research suggested that leaving the default settings was a good idea, and all the testing I did gave me the same impression.

Just keep in mind that almost all of the suggestions made are by people who are not experts in everything, most of the time they are just forum members like you and me.

Even the experts at OCZ would have no idea about the inner workings of Windows, but I guarantee that Microsoft would have painstakingly tested a whole slew of SSDs when designing the latest versions of Windows.

powerover
10-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Just keep in mind that almost all of the suggestions made are by people who are not experts in everything, most of the time they are just forum members like you and me.

Even the experts at OCZ would have no idea about the inner workings of Windows, but I guarantee that Microsoft would have painstakingly tested a whole slew of SSDs when designing the latest versions of Windows.

I agree :D

Its been a few days now since the firmware upgrade and SSD is still going good without the freezing, so I guess that fixed the problem..:thanks