PDA

View Full Version : Cluster computing

mookster1
06-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on here had any expertise in setting up a cluster of computers. One computer runs Windows XP Home Edition and the other runs Windows 7 Enterprise. The main computer is a Dell Dimension 3100 and I want to use the Windows 7 machine to help games run better (you may say "Get a graphics card!" but sadly the Dell has a PCI Express 1x slot and a couple of PCI slots so therefore cannot support a dedicated graphics card.) Is this easy to do and is it worth it in terms of gaming? (The game concerned is Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition.)

gcarmich
06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Sorry, can't really see that working for you. Software has to written to make use of a cluster and I can't see most commercially available games being designed for clusters.

The Error Guy
06-08-2011, 08:17 PM
the latency and bandwith associated with rendering over a network is too great, the gfx cards have data throughput of several gbps that cannot be transfered over a network not to mention it would still lag since by the time it tried to draw and render it would have moved on.

Maybe a new motherboard? idk but yeah, you kinda need a gfx card. Try trimming the settings down heaps? set the draw distnace close and make the rest minimal as possible

icow
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
What kind of games we talking? whats the gfx card in the better comp? I am going to agree with the others though. Can't hurt to try XD.

Tplw9
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Definitely need a gfx card mate

:pf1mobmini: