PDA

View Full Version : Which tablet is best for proofing

Sereena
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm looking at possibly purchasing some form of tablet computer in the future. I suppose that what I really want is a glorified e-book, because the main use I have for it is that I want to be able to proof and edit my own documents.

Up to now I've printed out my documents on paper, but my latest epic is reaching the size of a ream of A4 - and that's printing double sided. Clearly a tablet would not only be less wasteful, it would be lighter.

I type my documents on a PC in Word, so whichever device I get would have to be able to read the document fully formatted, and then return it back to Word with no formatting changes. It would need a long battery life as I often do my proofing at the bach and we don't have any electricity. If it could be charged from one of those portable solar chargers (do they actually work?), that would be a bonus. We arrive at the bach by ferry, so charging from a car is not an option. Being able to replace the battery would be good too.

My secondary use would be to be able to show photos.

I drool over the i-Pad, but I have major doubts that it would do what I want it to do.

I'm not worried about having Internet access, or an on board camera, or any of the other gizmos that seem to be such an important part of other tablets. A simple USB to USB connection to my computer would suffice.

I'm not panicking over this, so any suggestions of rumoured devices to look out for in the future would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance. :thanks

Alex B
06-08-2011, 07:18 PM
iPad could do this with the pages app, but I would be weary of if it changes any of the formatting slightly, but you would have this problem with any app I reckon/tablet I reckon.

Tukapa
07-08-2011, 11:11 PM
If you want to be able to use word and keep formatting etc it may pay to get a tab running windows.

http://www.expansys.co.nz/acer-iconia-tab-w500-10-1-windows-7-tablet-217773/

ellpow
08-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi
I use an HP Elitebook which allows me to draw all over docs including pdfs.

ellpow
08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I need to be more specific - it is the Elitebook tablet: HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet (there's also 2760p)......

dugimodo
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
You dould definately read them on any android tablet, even the cheap ones. As to editing I know there are apps available but I've never tried them. A tablet with a host USB port would make transferring documnets easier via a flash drive, I don't know if tablets can do the mass storage option like my smartphone does.

Battery life on colour tablets is good but not great. It could be a problem without a ready recharge source available. What would be perfect is an electronic ink based E-book reader (the screens only use power when updated) but I have never seen any of them mention editing/reading documents.

The Ipad probably does this, never played with them but they seem like nice devices.

Solar chargers work but put out tiny amounts of power. They would likely take days to charge a tablet, if not weeks or cost a small fortune. You can get portable rechargable batteries intended to charge mobile devices but I am not sure if they have the capacity to recharge a tablet.

If you like making things you could always get a small lead acid gel cell and make your own portable charger. A 12V 5-10 AH cell and a car type usb charger would be easy to cobble together or a 6V cell and a 5.1V zener diode if you want to get more technical.