PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD brands

Sereena
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I did a search on this topic and all the threads that came up seemed to be quite old, so if it has been discussed recently, my apologies. Please direct me to the other post.

What brand of blank writeable DVDs for archiving photographs would people recommend? I'd go for a name brand, but what constitutes a name brand?

And is there really no difference between DVD-R and DVD+R apart from the machine you're burning them on?

Thanks in advance:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I've used Sony DVD-R's, Princo, and some no name brand blank DVD, no probs at all.

Looks like there's not much diff between + and -. Except some (older) standalone DVD players (before 2004) may not play DVD+

Altho you'll need a lot of photos to burn to DVD. If I only had a few, I would use a cd. I wouldn't waste a DVD. I wouldn't bother with RW DVD's. I'll rather use DVD-R's

Paul.Cov
06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Gotta agree with Speedy.

The more data there is packed onto a disc (generally speaking) the less reliale and more vulnerable the media and the data become.

If you're not burning literally thousands of pics, then burn to CD. Then burn them all again to a different brand of CD, and keep each disc in a different part of the house.

Zippity
06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Without doubt - Taiyo Yuden :)

always -R

http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp

Renegade
07-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Without doubt - Taiyo Yuden :)

always -R

http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp

Are they easy to get here? Ordered some a few years back, but they were knockoff inkjet printables. Dvdidentifier confirmed! Haven't really looked around since, been using Verbatim +R's.

re- Photo backup, aside from burning to DVD I dumped all mine to Hotmail's Skydrive, they give you 25gb of storage.

Zippity
07-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Are they easy to get here? Ordered some a few years back, but they were knockoff inkjet printables. Dvdidentifier confirmed! Haven't really looked around since, been using Verbatim +R's.

Yep :) http://www.blankcd.co.nz/dvd-r-printable-taiyoyuden.htm

autechre
08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Another vote for Taiyo-Yuden's.

Never had any problems with them.
Same goes for Verbatims & Sonys.

Brands to avoid: Imation, Princo, RiData, any cheapo brands that Dick Smith etc sell :)

dugimodo
08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Taiyo-Yuden has always been regarded highly, some other brands rebadge them but it tends to change so better to stick with the actual ones. TDK for eg was Taiyo at one point but I believe changed suppliers.

Failing that more commonly available at local stores is Verbatim and Mitsubishi - both made by mitsubishi and genrally rated in the top 3 last I checked. Verbatim tends to be cheaper despite the media descriptor indentifying as the same discs :)

I would avoid any cheapies including princo, I also used to use them a lot with no apparent problems but discovered some time later many of my discs don't read any more. I don't like Imation much either.

In my experience it comes down to which brand works best in your burner, sometimes they just dont seem to work well with certain brands which other drives have no problem with. Since I switched to Verbatim I have had no issues. I occasionally use Sony discs also as I got a bunch of them cheap from a bargain bin and haven't had problems.

Personally I don't like DVD's as a backup medium, but mainly due to the problems I mentioned with cheap brands. If you can afford it I reccomend an external hard drive to use only for backups and stored safely when not backing up.

PaulD
08-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Gotta agree with Speedy.

The more data there is packed onto a disc (generally speaking) the less reliale and more vulnerable the media and the data become.

If you're not burning literally thousands of pics, then burn to CD. Then burn them all again to a different brand of CD, and keep each disc in a different part of the house.

At this stage of the digital camera megapixel race the media card in many cameras probably matches a single sided DVD.

chumscrubber
09-08-2011, 12:13 PM
i would like to say couple words about dvds too, as i had a porblem recently.

I used 5 discs of verbatim and 2 of imation and none of them were working. today i bought TX think extra (never heard of it) and burned perfectly.
also i used to keep all my photos on a sony dvd disc and once when i wanted to copy them it was empty.

The moral (:D) is that even though you use well-known brand, it still may crush.

Zippity
09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I'd like to hear a bit more about the faulty discs and what processes you are using before passing jugement on your findings :(