PDA

View Full Version : Problems with outlook/exchange

DaveBritton
05-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi All,

Have been experiencing problems over the last few days. Sometimes when users send an email, it isn't received by the recipient. Some messages will go through, but then some to the exact same address won't. I have looked in the message tracking and the messages that aren't going through don't show up. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I know I haven't given a lot to go on, but any ideas of where to look would be great.

The users are using Outlook 2003/2007/2010 and Windows XP/Vista/7, we are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2007.

Thanks for any help,
Dave.

HAL9000
06-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Check the Exchange services. Are they running. Things like Exchange Message Transfer Agent if stopped will impact on message delivery.

But my basic Windows first action in situations like this where there is no obvious solution is : Reboot the server.

Does problem magically go away?

DaveBritton
06-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Check the Exchange services. Are they running. Things like Exchange Message Transfer Agent if stopped will impact on message delivery.

But my basic Windows first action in situations like this where there is no obvious solution is : Reboot the server.

Does problem magically go away?

I have already rebooted twice. Both times, 2 services that were meant to automatically start didn't, so I had to manually start; "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and "Microsoft Exchange Service Host".

I don't see an "Exchange Message Transfer Agent" though. Closest thing I can see is "Exchange Transport" and "Exchange Mail Submission", both of which, are running.

DaveBritton
06-08-2011, 04:26 AM
I have been advised to create a new mailbox profile on all affected machines, so I am giving that a try. Hopefully that works.

SolMiester
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Do you get any NDR's (non delivery report)?, are you sure the issue is not the recipients?