PDA

View Full Version : Internet Exchange question

Netsukeninja
04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Someone I know who is having problems with their internet connection was told today by a Telstra technician that they made some changes to the exchange and now D-Link and Dynalink products are no longer compatible.

Sounds strange, is this BS?

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Funny you should say that. When I changed from Xnet to Telstra in December last year, my D-Link decided that it didnt want to stay connected with Telstra (It kept cutting me off), within 2 mins.

It was fine with Xnet, and its ADSL2+. So, at the mo, I'm using the modem (Dynalink RTA1320v6), Telstra gave me. Its only got 1 port on it, but I use a Gigabit switch. So the 2 PC's / Xbox and bluray player get on the net.

And if this starts cutting me off, Telstra will have to find another modem for me to use.

Chilling_Silence
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Depends I suppose on the DSLAM, but it's plausible, but more likely only some specific models that "play less nice compared with others" so it's easier to blanket both manufacturers.
Dynalink == Netcomm, but I'd be willing to bet you could get the NB6Plus4Wn and be perfectly fine

wainuitech
04-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I'll let you know later tonight :D -- Going to a customers place after Dinner to setup a New Laptop - they have a Dynalink Modem/Router - it was working ok last time I was there.

Did the "technician" say if it were cable or ADSL ?

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Dont know if its because this is ipv6 compatible why it still works now. The D-link wasnt

pctek
04-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Dynalink == Netcomm,

Sort of. Different modems though.

Ntecomm = Dynalink. Dynalink is the subsidary of Netcomm not the other way round.

And yes, look at my hassles with Vodafones network at the last place, loads of modems it didn't like.

I'd believe it.

Netsukeninja
04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
The modem is a D-Link DSL-2730B. I'm using one right now no probs with slingshot, 15mbit/0.94mbit sync. They sent out a replacement modem for free, sounds like the account-holder signed a new contract. =\ This is in PN, so no cable AFAIK wainuitech

Bussani
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
They updated the exchanges in Katikati a couple of weeks ago, and my grandparents' D-Link had been having trouble holding the connection since. I'm not sure if the part about it being specific brands is true or not, but we've seen a lot of people with the old D-Links making the same complaints, so I don't think it's entirely BS. Internet speeds seem to have gone up in the area as well, so long as you have an ADSL2 modem.

Iantech
04-08-2011, 10:40 PM
This from one of my suppliers recently

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Evening,

We have spoken to a number of resellers who have begun experiencing problems connecting to ADSL broadband in various parts of NZ.

This relates both to new router installations and to lost connection on existing routers.

The common factors appear to be new DSLAM equipment installed in local exchanges and routers using the very common Broadcom chipset. This chipset is used in many brands of ADSL routers including our D-Link DSL-526B, DSL2642B and DSL-2730B/R routers.

If you are experiencing issues with ADSL connection with one of our routers please refer to your internet provider in the first instance or call ------ for advice on the issue. From what we have seen it appears the issue can be resolved by getting the service provider to switch the DSLAM connection to ADSL1 (as opposed to ADSL2/2+).

Note that we have not seen the issue with our Netcomm routers to date, so an interim solution for new connections may be to use the Netcomm routers until the network issue has been resolved. For existing installed connections that stop working the resolution will come from the ISP changing the local DSLAM setting as above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Your problem may be related.

wainuitech
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Just got back - my previous post #4 -- The Dynalink Modem/Router they have is connecting to the internet no problems at all. The wireless -- Hmmmmm thats another problem -- Crappy Dynalink :mad:

Safari
05-08-2011, 08:50 AM
New DSLAM equipment is causing a problem with some modems getting sync

I have found that with Dynalink modems if ADSL2+ Line Mode is disabled in the modem config it picks up the DSL sync immediately. It is easier than getting their profile changed.

Ihave not had any problems with Dynalink wireless, I would suggest the problem is with the laptop not the modem.

wainuitech
05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Ihave not had any problems with Dynalink wireless, I would suggest the problem is with the laptop not the modem. If that was a suggestion for my comment -- Nope, theres nothing wrong with the laptop - It connects to my wireless perfectly, I also tried a different modem /Router at the persons place and it connects to that with no problems.

Its the Dynalink wireless thats the problem. Proven by the fact it will connect to other routers, the Ethernet connection (wired) is fine.

Edited: As I found out later - they have had various problems with it ever since they go it a year ago.

Safari
05-08-2011, 09:12 AM
If that was a suggestion for my comment -- Nope, theres nothing wrong with the laptop - It connects to my wireless perfectly, I also tried a different modem /Router at the persons place and it connects to that with no problems.

Its the Dynalink wireless thats the problem. Proven by the fact it will connect to other routers, the Ethernet connection (wired) is fine.

Edited: As I found out later - they have had various problems with it ever since they go it a year ago.

I guess you can get a bad one with any make of modem but the Dynalink wireless is generally quite reliable.

mikebartnz
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Someone I know who is having problems with their internet connection was told today by a Telstra technician that they made some changes to the exchange and now D-Link and Dynalink products are no longer compatible.

Sounds strange, is this BS?
I'm using a Dynalink RTA1320 with no problems on TelstraClear.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Same here. It probably works, since its the modem I got, when I joined