PDA

View Full Version : Building my own PC for video editing

aonghas
03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey guys,

It's been nearly 4 years to the day that I first posted in this forum asking for PC building help. You were all so helpful last time, so hopefully you'll be able to give me some good advice again! I've been getting into video editing with the Panasonic HS700 video camera that records in full HD 50p (at about 28mbps). My old system is starting to struggle so I thought it was time to upgrade. Here is the setup I'm thinking of changing to:

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC HDMI Dual-DVI 1280MB
RAM: Not sure? I would preferably want 8 or 16GB? Suggestions?

I have a 720W Enermax Infiniti PSU, would this suffice?

Would these components be compatible with each other? Please feel free to give me your opinions. My main purpose for this system would be for video editing (Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Pro) and motion graphics (After Effects).

Cheers,
Aonghas

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Sounds alright to me, but dont forget to get 64 bit if you get 8 / 16 GB. Looks like you made the right choice with the programs you listed. Both have 64 bit versions by the looks of it. Too bad the cam doesnt have firewire tho

aonghas
03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for your reply Speedy Gonzales! I wasn't sure if the GTX 580 was worth the extra ~$250, but I was considering maybe getting another 570 in SLI in future if I needed to?

Also any suggestions for RAM?

Thanks heaps

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Wouldnt have a clue about the ram sorry. I dont even know whats available with DDR3. I'm not using DDR3 yet (but will be soon). When I build another system

This looks pretty good / cheap for 8 GB (http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/p.aspx?557662). Altho its probably a bit far from you (If youre not in Mt Eden)

aonghas
03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking about getting the
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL8 2x4GB (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM)
Does anyone have any opinions about this? I just thought the latency of CL8 would be better than the CL9 ones?

inphinity
03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
That GSkill is a good choice. I don't see the need for more than a 570 for what you're after, either, only for high-res gaming.

aonghas
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks inphinity! Is there anything else I need to buy...? I feel like I'm missing something. Any suggestions for any good large cases with USB ports on the front?

icow
04-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I'd just like to point out that ASRock stuff sucks. Get a Proper mobo from Asus or Gigabyte. Have you checked the psu as well. Ie good brand etc

:pf1mobmini:

Iantech
04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I have a friend who is into video composing/editing big time, he has been doing some research on a new setup. On the research he has done, he was recommended and is getting the GTX580, big money but great for the job apparently. I dont know how much difference the extra stream processors etc on the 580 would make compared to the 570.

His cpu/mboard specs are pretty much identical to what you have stated athough has been told there is a bug in the Z68 and P67 Mboards when it comes to RAID, I cant remember what the issue was or even how much it effected it - he plans on striping (RAID 0) 4 x 2Tb drives to get the capacity he wants. If you are planning to use RAID, it may pay to look into whatever this bug was first. Sorry I cant be more helpful on what the problem related to.

As for RAM, I'm guessing you are going 64bit, so the more the better. CL8 is faster than CL9, I dont think the average user would notice it, but with the grunting your machine will be doing, you may notice the difference. I really havent compared the two to know, just what I have read (which isnt always reliable).

Good luck with your new machine, it sounds great.

aonghas
04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
I'd just like to point out that ASRock stuff sucks. Get a Proper mobo from Asus or Gigabyte. Have you checked the psu as well. Ie good brand etc

Is that just a personal opinion? I've read good things about this motherboard though. Apparently the layout for the equivalent ASUS had a few design problems. My PSU is a 720W Infiniti Enermax, I'm hoping that's okay?

Iantech: thanks for your contribution. Does your friend know what case he is getting? That sounds like a beefy HDD storage setup!

Iantech
04-08-2011, 01:57 AM
He (we) are still looking for a case, he is considering a full tower with at least 6 drive bays, any mid-towers we have looked at so far with 6 bays seem a little cramped for space and air flow. Hes a bit of a fussy bugger about it, doesnt want an ugly gamers case and it has to be shiny black :D

He was saying that approx 1 min of movie uses 2 gigs of space I seem to remember, no idea what format he is using, but there cant be much if any compression. I guess if you have a few movies on file at a time that is being worked on, it would suck up space rather fast.

The graphics card you are looking at says it requires a minimum of a 600W PSU with a 6 pin and 8 pin power connector, so make sure your power supply has them. There doesnt sound like much of a reserve if its being maxed out by the time you supply power to the rest of the components (CPU probably requires 95W or so under load). You may want to do a bit more research to see if your 720W is sufficient.
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2011, 02:42 AM
If I record in HD / MP4 off this tuner, most movies are around 4 GB an hr / a GB every 15 mins

Tukapa
04-08-2011, 07:02 AM
IMO the Cooler Master CM690 II case is a nice case with some added benefits. See here;

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

Can be bought in NZ for $199

http://www.pcforce.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=952

I have the original version and it's a great case for what I need.

pctek
04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Is that just a personal opinion? My PSU is a 720W Infiniti Enermax,

No it's not a personal opinion. I agree, go with ASUS or Gigabyte for both the motherboard and GPU.

Your Enermax will be fine.

SolMiester
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM

You would be wrong then....ASRock has a very strong following in the US

Its ASUS who have the problematic board this time around with SB processors....

OP: With video editing, if you use the Z68 chipset board i believe you can use quick sync to encode your video faster than the Nvidia GPU you have..with better quality. If you go for 16GB RAM, perhaps you can allocate 10GB of it to a RAM drive to use for your editing.
http://www.extradrivecreator.com/ramdrive/

inphinity
04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
No it's not a personal opinion. I agree, go with ASUS or Gigabyte for both the motherboard and GPU.

Your Enermax will be fine.

ASRock are one of those DID-esque brands, some of their products are outstanding, and some are plain rubbish. I'd also lean to Asus or Gigabyte in general, though when a specific ASRock product has had across-the-board good reviews I'd consider it.

They were originally a cheapie subdivison of Asus... yet they weren't willing to damage the Asus name by branding it as such, hmm. They've stepped up in their own right the last few years, though.

dugimodo
04-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Just a note on video encoding, if you can find software supporting quicksync the CPU's built in graphics core is around twice as fast as a high end Nvidia card with better quality results. I'm not sure how relevant that is to video editing or the software you use but I thought I'd mention it.

To use it you either need to use a H67 or similar board or the new Z68 chipset and some 3rd party software I've forgotten the name of, could well come with the motherboard.

Apart from that looks like a great system, and that power supply should be more than adequate for any single card setup. I'd only worry if going SLI - and even then go to one of the PSU calculator sites and see what it says http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Incidentally I'm prettty sure asrock is the budget oriented division of asus and generallly I hear good things about them but myself I'd still go ASUS or Gigabyte or even (gasp) an intel branded board (less featured generally but great reliability).

Edit: took too long typing, seems others beat me to it :)

aonghas
04-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. Would I need to worry about specific cooling if I'm just planning to run the system at stock speeds (to start off with anyway)? Are there any cases that you receommend that can store many internal HDDs? I'm not looking for a fancy gamer's box, but something that looks sleek and professional would be nice :P

Alex B
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah I've found ASRock OK in the past...don't really know how it got a bad rep.

Infact i've had more DOA Asus boards.

icow
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd guess you'd hear about more Asus boards dying as there are more of them, ie even if ASRock had the same failure rate you'd still probably hear of the Asus ones more often as they sell more (i guess). As for the case the NZXT Phantom can store 7 HDD's which can be either 2.5 or 3.5. Its got some fancy drive caddy thing going on. I also believe the Antec 900 v3 is great for air cooled systems.

dpDesignz
04-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Just my input in regards to the GPU. Don't go any lower than GTX 570. I got the 460 and I'm kicking myself. It's ok but still doesn't give me the power I need with any of those programs. If you are wanting a decent card though and want to do it pro, you'll be forking out but I recommend the Quadro range. (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=14596 or http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=14595 should do. You can go up to 6GB but you're paying almost $4000 for it)

aonghas
04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey thanks for your input! Yeah I've been having a look at the quadro range but the specifications don't seem to be as good as the geforce series for the same price. I've heard that quadro cards are supposed to be better for CAD and animation kinda stuff, but do you know what specifications I should specifically be looking at that determines this kind of performance? I would still like to have a decent general purpose graphics card though as I won't solely be doing video editing, so I'm torn between getting a high end geforce (570 or 580 gtx) or a quadro card at a similar price. I read somewhere that nvidia charges a lot more for the quadro cards because they are more targeted towards business who can afford to pay that much. Does this mean the 570/580gtx would be able to cope with HD video editing just as well? I have not yet seen any benchmark tests that compare the two types of graphics cards for video editing/motion graphics etc.

Thanks
Aonghas

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I dont know what the fuss is about with the vidcard. Any will do. The brand / model / what its got isnt going to make things brighter / prettier

One that supports CUDA may help. Thats what I may get soon (even tho I dont like Nvidia drivers, most crash - (since I convert vids) and having CUDA should speed things up a bit / reduce the time. Thats probably the only reason, I would buy a Nvidia vidcard

SolMiester
05-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I dont know what the fuss is about with the vidcard. Any will do. The brand / model / what its got isnt going to make things brighter / prettier

One that supports CUDA may help. Thats what I may get soon (even tho I dont like Nvidia drivers, most crash - (since I convert vids) and having CUDA should speed things up a bit / reduce the time. Thats probably the only reason, I would buy a Nvidia vidcard

FYI, NV have a better rep regarding drivers than ATI\AMD..It is only in the last few years that ATI has gotten there **** together with software and drivers.
However for video converting, I believe Sandy Bridge bridge cpus using quicksync are faster and have better quality than the CUDA converting....
Quick Sync Tech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/8)
Here are some benchies on CUDA accelerated CS5
CUDA & CS5 (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-bit,2770-8.html)
Here is a list of NV cards that can be unlocked to accelerate CS5, however some are listed as not recommended
NV Cards suitable for CS5 (http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm)

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2011, 09:47 AM
I dont use CS5. I just use a video converter, which supports CUDA. It can also edit videos (inc MP4)

inphinity
05-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I dont know what the fuss is about with the vidcard. Any will do.

It makes a huge difference in performance in top-end products. For the products specifically mentioned by the OP such as Premiere Pro, only the GTX285, GTX470, GTX570 and GTX580 from the normal consumer-grade cards are on the hardware-acceleration compatibility list, therefore if you're bothering to spend the money do it right and get one of those - or get any of the previous or current gen mid- and high-end Quadros which are also on the list.

In regards to the GTX vs Quadro discussion... the Quadros will outperform the GTX series in quality-oriented rendering by miles, because they're optimised for it. That said, I don't see the need at the sort of level you're probably looking at to spend up large on a Quadro 6000.

Tukapa
06-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone. Would I need to worry about specific cooling if I'm just planning to run the system at stock speeds (to start off with anyway)? Are there any cases that you receommend that can store many internal HDDs? I'm not looking for a fancy gamer's box, but something that looks sleek and professional would be nice :P

Did you miss my post or are 6 hard drive bays not enough?

IMO the Cooler Master CM690 II case is a nice case with some added benefits. See here;

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

Can be bought in NZ for $199

http://www.pcforce.co.nz/index.php?m...roducts_id=952

I have the original version and it's a great case for what I need.