PDA

View Full Version : Default monitor on nvidia card

rumpty
03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I have two monitors plugged into the Nvidia G210 card in the computer, the main one in the VGA output and the other in the HDMI socket. Unfortunately the HDMI socket seems to "take over" as the default, even when its monitor is not turned on. As a result, the boot info is not visible to select the OS to boot.

Is there any way to tell the card to use the VGA as default in this situation? Have to be a hardware thing, or in the BIOS, I guess? My workaround is to leave the HDMI monitor unplugged, and plug it in when necessary. I'll wear the socket out!

SolMiester
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I have the 210 in my work PC with dual monitors, what O/S are you using?...

pctek
03-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Why not have the displays the other way round, the boot on the HDMI?

rumpty
03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Why not have the displays the other way round, the boot on the HDMI?

My main monitor doesn't have an HDMI input.

rumpty
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I have the 210 in my work PC with dual monitors, what O/S are you using?...

The situation is before any OS is selected to boot.

rumpty
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Just had a thought - maybe if I connect the VGA monitor to the DVI output through an adaptor, instead of to the card's VGA output, the card will default to that?

SolMiester
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
The situation is before any OS is selected to boot.

While this is true, the configuration of the card is controlled via the O/S....

I have a HDMI > DVI adapter, perhaps you could use this for your main and the VGA for the TV....Do you watch HD movies on the TV?

GameJunkie
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM
what are the sizes of the screens?

rumpty
04-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I think my problem is solved - connected the VGA monitor, via a VGA to DVI adapter, to the DVI port on the video card. The second monitor is connected to the HDMI port. Now the boot screen info appears on the VGA monitor even though another monitor is plugged into the HDMI port.

Some web searches quickly revealed that DVI and HDMI outputs are both active at the same time on most video cards, unlike VGA outputs. The Windows OS also needed some serious talking to, to tell it which was the default monitor.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.