PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 (x32) boot problems

Niko_Ghost
03-08-2011, 02:22 AM
The main board in my primary computer just fried, the Hard drive seems to have taken no damage, but when installed in secondary comp, it starts to boot, then goes to the screen w/ the option of startning normally, which doesn't work, or start repair. I've gone thru the repair process, using orig 7 disk, and also a win 7 repair disk, no love. I've run bootrec.exe /fix mbr and fixboot, still no love. I did see one error about missing boot manager, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Rick

pctek
03-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Because the drivers will be different in the new PC.
Boot into Safe Mode and install the new motherboard drivers and all the rest.

Niko_Ghost
03-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Won't go into safe either.....loading a diff hd...will try to get config from that

dugimodo
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Do you need to boot from it or just retrieve data ? Easier just to slave it and copy things across. As a general rule you are not supposed to be able to swap a boot drive into another machine and boot off it, although it can be done it is far from Ideal.

I believe it's possible to strip out all the drivers and install new ones, but it's likely windows will notice and require reactivating due to the new hardware. Depending on your version of windows this may or may not work or be legal. You could also have this issue if / when you replace the fried board but can contact microsoft legitimately in that case for a new key.

sahilcc7
03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
If you want to get files off, I just get a live ubuntu cd and copy files to an external hdd.