PDA

View Full Version : Dont think this will stop the Indian callers

nedkelly
02-08-2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10742499

mikebartnz
02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
A good move on the whole. While it wouldn't stop those Indian PC techs, a register so that people could state that they don't want cold callers would help. Might be able to have my dinner in peace. There used to be one.

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Correct, it won't, it won't have a single iota of effect on them, so in that respect it's a waste of time.

Same goes for the likes of where the Playstation network has recently been breached, I'm not entirely sure how much they fall under New Zealand law when the user is subscribing to an international service? It's a good question. The other difficult part is knowing when a company has been compromised, often times a company finds out the same time as "the media", specifically lately through twitter announcements from hacking groups, defacement of a website etc.

WalOne
02-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't think so, either.

Locally, the Marketing Assn does run a service where you can register so their members won't hassle you.

Go Here (http://www.marketing.org.nz/MainMenu). Look under Services / Consumer Services / Do Not Call or Do Not Mail.

This does entail your getting on a do not contact list so just hope the list isn't hijacked by the Indian techs :lol:

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Thing is it's easy, I could start cold-calling from my home, I don't have to be a member of any association to do it ;)

WalOne
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
That's why I said their members. At least, it gets most of the heavy duty call centre people out of the equation, and you have to be a member of the association to not do it. :illogical

Paul.Cov
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Perhaps we need to pass a duty of responsibility to Telecom to block calls originating from these various numbers.

Perhaps if we had a number like 555SPAM we could dial immediately after getting an unwanted call in order to trigger an automated alert in response to these things.
It would need to have a certain threshold of responders (eg 50) before blocking such calls - but it might help slow these buggers down.

paulw
03-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Perhaps we need to pass a duty of responsibility to Telecom to block calls originating from these various numbers.

Why only Telecom?? There are plenty of other carriers in NZ that these calls come thru..

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Not to mention it is entirely possible to spoof the number that calls originate from, as well as purchase additional "DDI's" to hide behind if you really wanted to from different VoIP providers

Digby
04-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Perhaps if we had a number like 555SPAM we could dial immediately after getting an unwanted call in order to trigger an automated alert in response to these things.
It would need to have a certain threshold of responders (eg 50) before blocking such calls - but it might help slow these buggers down.

Well said.

I have always said that if all the ISP's got together world wide and banned any IP's that sent out those IRD refund or bank log in requests.

Those are really not trying to sell you something they are trying to rip you off.

Eg the latest Westpac one, looked very Kocher to me. But I ignored it as I thought it was phishing.
Then a guy came on the radio today saying it was a genuine offer from Westpac !

Digby
04-08-2011, 07:26 PM
A good move on the whole. While it wouldn't stop those Indian PC techs, a register so that people could state that they don't want cold callers would help. Might be able to have my dinner in peace. There used to be one.

I don't mind genuine sales people calling, it is easy to say no thank you.
That is kind of anti-commerce.