PDA

View Full Version : 56k + DSL Modems

11-10-2001, 12:11 AM
We are considering some upgrades, one of them is DSL. Problem is we are getting conflictings advice. We need to be able to keep and use our 56k modem for Faxing with WinFax10 while using the DSL for internet. Some techs say it can be done, some it cannot and others say it is just plain difficult.
If it can be done, how and what if any additional software or hardware might be required. We favour the Nokia internal dsl and our internal 56k modem on a WinME OS.
Cheers

11-10-2001, 12:36 AM
I do not see any problems which can occur with that coniguration

11-10-2001, 02:30 AM
I don't see why you couldn't use both. But when sending a fax you will (from what I know) have to disconnect from the DSL. As the two running together probably wont work. Because the phoneline is effectively split into a voice and separate data line. When sending a fax while still on DSL I think the data components would get mixed up.

I think this idea of having a 56K and DSL is very good, if you wanted to have the full JetStream because you could stick to the 56K when finding the files that you wanted to download and then use the DSL to download it quickly.

Hope this helps and good luck.
JM

11-10-2001, 08:51 AM
Yes, this is possible, but it may hinder performance of your dsl connection while the fax transmission is in process.

:-( At least you can get dsl...

11-10-2001, 01:40 PM
The set up you are looking at should have no problems,as far as the line is concerned.A lot of Telecom's customers use their fax line as their DSL line.The data from the fax has on effect on the DSL,as long as it has been wired correctly,and you use seperate jackpoints for the dsl and fax.

11-10-2001, 01:42 PM
sorry,that should have read 'NO effect on the dsl'