PDA

View Full Version : TELECOM SECURITY SUITE

ianhnz
01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi all.

I have Telecom broadband, and like most people are concerned about security.

I use Comdo Internet Security Suite, but I was looking at Telecom website and it says:-Sign up to Telecom Broadband and get a FREE Telecom Security Suite licence, powered by world class McAfee (worth over $95 a year).

Telecom and McAfee have teamed up to bring Telecom Broadband and Dial-Up customers award winning protection for your home computer FREE keeping you safe from online viruses, spyware and hackers.

What I am asking is, would this be better, or worse that what I have currently?

:thanks

Ian

wratterus
01-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I personally wouldn't touch McAfee with a 40ft barge pole. Comodo isn't my first choice either, but I'd say it would be better than McAfee.

pcuser42
01-08-2011, 03:04 PM
The free Microsoft Security Essentials is better than any suite (bar NOD32) :)

ianhnz
01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I personally wouldn't touch McAfee with a 40ft barge pole. Comodo isn't my first choice either, but I'd say it would be better than McAfee.

Thanks. Yes I had heard that McAfee was not the best. The main reason's I use Comodo is cost, free and it's a package with firewall and antivirus, etc and build in. Do you know of any other suites, like this?

ianhnz
01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
The free Microsoft Security Essentials is better than any suite (bar NOD32) :)

Yes, but it doesn't have a firewall and Microsoft's poor excuse, for a firewall, does cut the mustard...

gary67
01-08-2011, 03:15 PM
You could use Nod 32 which has both but not free cheaper than Telecom price though I think, there is always the Zone alarm fire wall, personally I have had no problems just using the Windows one. If your on BB then your router should have a built in firewall too

ianhnz
01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
You could use Nod 32 which has both but not free cheaper than Telecom price though I think, there is always the Zone alarm fire wall, personally I have had no problems just using the Windows one. If your on BB then your router should have a built in firewall too

Yes I do have broadband. When I go into the modem setup, it says it disabled. Not sure how to set up. It's a Thomson wireless

pctek
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
I use Comodo is cost, free and it's a package with firewall and antivirus,

Free AV - MS Securtiy Essentials
Free Firewall - Windows
Free Anti-spyware - Spybot, malware Bytes.

There you go, properly protected.

All-in-one packages suck.

ianhnz
01-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Free AV - MS Securtiy Essentials
Free Firewall - Windows
Free Anti-spyware - Spybot, malware Bytes.

There you go, properly protected.

Yes, but Windows firewall does stop stuff going out, just one way like.
Not sure why you said,"All-in-one packages suck".

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Depends what version of windows you have / you're talking about. Vista and Win7's firewall is better than XP's. Programs like Mcafee, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and Nortons / Symantec crash more than anything else. And from what I've read do stuff all to do anything if its malware. Besides getting disabled. Not much use if its disabled. It cant do anything

pcuser42
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM

pctek's a woman, you might want to take her advice and don't question it :p

dugimodo
01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
A common problem with software is that opinions persist a lot longer than problems do. If a piece of software gets bad reviews it will never lose the repututation for being bad entirely no matter how good it gets. Windows current firewall as already mentioned is generally considered quite good as opposed to the one included with XP.

The McCaffee suite telecom offers is ok but the free ones people have mentioned are at least as good and probably better. I used it for a while then went back to MSE.

The best protection is common sense. People get virus's despite having all the appropriate antivirus, firewall, malware protection all the time. I have had to remove the MS security tool fake antivirus from friends PC's twice now, they were taken in by the fake virus warnings on webpages and clicked something they shouldn't have.

wainuitech
01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Most people dont know this :D, windows firewall DOES or should that be can block outgoing traffic, its just not enabled by default.

Depending on what Version of windows Heres how to enable it (http://www.demogeek.com/2009/01/18/block-outbound-traffic-windows-vista-firewall/)

ianhnz
01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Most people dont know this :D, windows firewall DOES or should that be can block outgoing traffic, its just not enabled by default.

Depending on what Version of windows Heres how to enable it (http://www.demogeek.com/2009/01/18/block-outbound-traffic-windows-vista-firewall/)
Windows XP Home

Agent_24
02-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Comodo is great IF you use it properly.

By that I mean using the HIPS feature (Defense+), setting it up properly (the default settings leave a lot to be desired) and actually have an understanding of the programs running on your computer, and what they should be doing, so you know what to allow and what to block.

I will have to say though that Comodo's AV is a bit lacking. It's not incredibly bad, and coupled with Defense+ it makes a very good product but I wouldn't want to rely on it solely.

Don't forget that a firewall is not just for blocking idiots trying to get IN but for stopping nasties getting OUT and reporting back to their masters with your credit card number.

If you do end up with a virus the last thing you want is rubbish firewall.
The fact that programs can add rules to Windows Firewall all by themselves is one of the main reasons why I don't use it.

This is also why the basic firewall on your router is NOT good enough. it only blocks inbound attacks, not all your outbound keylogged data.

pctek
02-08-2011, 09:04 AM
pctek's a woman, you might want to take her advice and don't question it :p

What?!

They suck because even NODs package, while the AV is good the firewall isn't so good. And I have never seen any one of the packages find everything, usually one part is fine, the rest fails badly.

So it's better to have your own collection of protection that's been proven to find the most.

And as has been said, Win 7's firewall is an improvement.

ianhnz
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Comodo is great IF you use it properly.

By that I mean using the HIPS feature (Defense+), setting it up properly (the default settings leave a lot to be desired) and actually have an understanding of the programs running on your computer, and what they should be doing, so you know what to allow and what to block.

I will have to say though that Comodo's AV is a bit lacking. It's not incredibly bad, and coupled with Defense+ it makes a very good product but I wouldn't want to rely on it solely.

Don't forget that a firewall is not just for blocking idiots trying to get IN but for stopping nasties getting OUT and reporting back to their masters with your credit card number.

If you do end up with a virus the last thing you want is rubbish firewall.
The fact that programs can add rules to Windows Firewall all by themselves is one of the main reasons why I don't use it.

This is also why the basic firewall on your router is NOT good enough. it only blocks inbound attacks, not all your outbound keylogged data.
Thanks for all the above, very good. I also use a program called, Immunet, which is a Cloud based anti-virus and says can be used with others. I use the Defence, and on access settings, in Comodo. I run anti malware, from time to time and have never found anything. But still do it.

mikebartnz
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes, but Windows firewall does stop stuff going out, just one way like.
WinXP doesn't stop outgoing stuff but WinVista and 7 do.

ianhnz
02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
WinXP doesn't stop outgoing stuff but WinVista and 7 do.
I know, but I am stuck with Xp until it dies, like our 027 cellphones. I'm looking at Linux and Vodafone:thanks...

02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

+1

Windows firewall is good enough. You modem/router also acts like a basic hardware firewall (incoming)
Ive seen too many 3rd party firewall products cause issues.

Also, Would you trust a AV company that cant be trusted with your credit card details & has been fined in the US for those particular practices??

Quote "If you do end up with a virus" ......
a firewall aint much help, its too late. Some malware is pretty clever.

KarameaDave
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Huh!
Cleaned a PC the other day
that purported to be clean,
had Telecons Mcafee on it,
Malwarebytes removed 487 assorted infections!

ianhnz
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Huh!
Cleaned a PC the other day
that purported to be clean,
had Telecons Mcafee on it,
Malwarebytes removed 487 assorted infections!

That's a good program. Does McAfee pro-port to remove malware?

Agent_24
02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote "If you do end up with a virus" ......
a firewall aint much help, its too late. Some malware is pretty clever.

Better than having no firewall.

I say what I said because back when I used to use Norton :blush:, I ended up with a keylogger program that NAV didn't detect.

However, when it tried to connect to the Internet and send my data back NPF (Norton personal firewall) picked it up and I realised what had happened.

Who knows what would have been sent where if I had been using Windows Firewall or no firewall at all?

An experience like that makes me a strong believer in a decent firewall which alerts the user to all outbound connections not just those coming in.

Of course some Malware is clever as you say, but when it tries to hijack IE for example that's where Defense+ comes in and alerts you that dodgy-executable.exe is trying to modify IE in memory etc etc.... (Although you'd get an alert before that saying that dodgy-executable.exe is trying to run)

Stay with Windows Failwall and whatever AV you feel like. I know what I prefer to use...

mikebartnz
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Who knows what would have been sent where if I had been using Windows Firewall or no firewall at all?
Exactly a proper outgoing firewall can alert you to things going on that you wouldn't have a clue about otherwise. There are quite a few that I stop which a lot of people might think are legit but I reckon have no need. Explorer is one that comes to mind.

PPp
02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I use MS SE and the free version of Online Armour and am happy with both.