PDA

View Full Version : CD-Roms and Hard drive letters in Win2k

10-10-2001, 10:17 PM
I have just brought a new deskstar 40GB IDE HDD I have put it on the primary channel as master and i have put my old 4GB drive on slave. I used fdisk to delete all the partions before reinstalling win2k but I left my old 4GB drive completely empty with no partions. Now I have the 40GB on C drive my CD-Rom on D drive and my CD Writer on E drive. Can I change the letters of the CD-Rom and my CD Writer drives do i can have the 4GB drive as D drive? If so how?

10-10-2001, 11:14 PM
Hello Mark,
To achieve your aim you need to change the jumpers on your Cd & CDRW, make the CDRW the secondary master and the CD the secondary Slave, you need to make a primary partition on your 4GB drive before windows will recognise it, after doing this, the result will be 40GB = C: 4GB = D: CDRW = E CD = F

Alan

11-10-2001, 12:00 AM
Hi Mark, when initializing the other hard drive (Im presuming you know how to do this) the drive letters of the CDR/CDW should move down a letter automatically to E&F respectively when Windows next boots. However, you can ensure your CDR's always remain on certain drive letters by reserving the drive letter. I have WinMe but presumably this still works on W2K ... start-settings-controlpanel-system-devicemgr tab-select the cdrom device-click properties button-settings tab.
Now amend the start and end drive letters to the drive letter you want to use (ie both start and end letters are the same)& click OK. Follow the same prcoess for the other CDR, obviously selecting a different letter.
The drive letters dont have to be directly after the HD's either - I have a CDR on drive letter Q for instance, with my last HD being on D.
cheers
Graham

11-10-2001, 08:32 AM
Find the 'Administration Tools' under control panel? Then 'Computer Management' - Storage - Disk Management.

Now if you right click on the disk description - the part that says Disk 0 Basic and the drive size etc - in the bottom right window, you can change drive letters. You will have to shuffle to free up D ie assign what is currently D to F or G.

11-10-2001, 08:41 AM
Mark
Just follow what the others suggest. I normally make CD drives letters like Z and Y and X to get them well out of the way of other disks. I have a zip drive, USB Ziv disk, and my camera acts like a drive as well, so it gets kind of crowded. By making them Z and Y, they won't change when you add another drive. This makes life easier for lots of software.
Have fun, Rob C.