PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling WindowsME (again)

10-10-2001, 10:31 PM
Hi,
Another query...

Before reinstalling, what should I backup? I have heaps of stuff on my drive - software settings, apps, installers for apps, gigabytes of mp3's (approx 2GB) and so on. what do I need to backup apart from the obvious my documents?

Is there a website that gives good instructions on how to find everything I need to backup?

Also, how would I go about such a monumental task?

I would be backing up to CD.

Any ideas, before my computer blows up! :-)

10-10-2001, 10:53 PM
Save everything you can't reinstall from CD, such as the mp3s, downloads, etc. (obviously) :)

If you are running Outlook, you'll need to save a directory that goes something like:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

(someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what it is on my computer) This directory is where your emails and addresses and stuff are kept, so its handy to hold onto them.
Outlook Express is a little different, and as I don't use it, I'm unsure exactly where the info for this is stored, but it'll be something like:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{C...(lots of numbers)...9}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

unfortunately I don't think this is where the Outlook Express Address book is kept, so you might need to load up address book and export it and save that file.

Oh, one more thing you'll need to make sure you have is a CD rom driver that you can load to access your CD Rom after you've wiped your disk (that is unless you can boot from the CD, then you won't need it).
That's about all I can think of that you'll need to save, but I'm sure there'll be other contributions :)

Good luck!

11-10-2001, 12:28 AM
Hello Graham,

Just copy the application data folder, it does contain all of your mail messages, address book office templates web wallpapers and lots of other stuff,the other one not to forget is the C:\windows\ favourites folder, it contains your bookmarks.

Alan

11-10-2001, 11:05 AM
you could also try easy cd creator 5 ( platnum version ) which has a backup to cd option... ( usually takes two cds.. ) or get Ghost!! JP :-)

12-10-2001, 10:17 AM
You would save a lot of this bother if you partitioned your drive into c: for WIndows and applications, d: for data files. Point Outlook Express to the d: drive for it's mailbox.

John