PDA

View Full Version : File? problem

linw
30-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Looking for pointers. Friend has had a problem for quite a while with an older XP machine whereby Picasa loads up all photos every time it is started, then they all disappear from the screen at the end of the scan, apart from a couple of folders other than My Pics.

Thought it would probably be a database corruption so got Picasa to rebuild it - no change. Re-installed Picasa 3.8 - no change.

Ran chkdsk /f - 326 file/index errors. Next run there were 2. After that 1, but stayed at that.

Copied photos from My Pics to another folder then pointed Picasa to new folder - worked fine. Deleted all from My Pics and copied photos back - same problem as original (bit puzzling).

HDTune slower scan found no hard errors. Chkdsk reports 0 bad sectors so disk looks OK - perhaps!

Friend is now happy with the moved folder fix but I wondered, short of reformatting the drive, whether anyone had any ideas about what could cause these effects. Any better fixers than chkdsk? (Of course, this may not be the problem but at this stage the only known error is the 'minor file error' picked up by chkdsk).

TIA.

wainuitech
30-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Tried sfc /scannow to check if it finds any file corruption ?

From the results of chkdsk, does sound like something had gotten corrupted somewhere.(326 file/index errors)

A repair install may fix it as well, instead of a full format/install -- Just make sure all data is backed up -- Which it is -- Isn't it ;)

pctek
31-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Ran chkdsk /f - 326 file/index errors.

Copied photos from My Pics to another folder then pointed Picasa to new folder - worked fine. Deleted all from My Pics and copied photos back - same problem as original (bit puzzling).

/F Fixes errors on the disk. Does not scan for bad sectors.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information .

Run it again with both switches.

And perhaps, move the pics again, uninstall Picasa, reboot, reinstall it (and perhaps the newest version) then try the pics again?

linw
31-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for helpful suggestions. Yes, WT, as it happens he has the most important stuff backed up! Bit rare, I know!

chkdsk /r sounds like a good and easy first try, pctek. sfc is also an easy one. Will work my way through!

He says his comp is working great now after I moved the pics but it may be a ticking time bomb as obviously something ain't quite right.

Cheers.