PDA

View Full Version : laptop not connecting to wireless signal

hford1313
30-07-2011, 08:26 AM
i have an acer laptop and recently took it to be cleaned out when i got it back it will no longer connect to my wireless internet. the only way it will connect is to plug the cable from the router directly into the laptop. which this defeats the purpose of having a laptop and wireless internet. can anybody give me idiot proof directions on how to solve this problem?

The Error Guy
30-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I am assuming you can still see the network in the laptop's connection manager?

What version of windows are you running?

Try going into Network and sharing > Manage wireless networks, find your network and right click > delete. Then try to reconnect and enter your wireless password when prompted.

Also, try powering off the router and turning it on again

Do you get any error messages when it fails to connect? or any status messages (Limited connectivity, No Internet access etc) Next to the wireless icon it will show the signal bars (Vista/7) when properly connected they will all be white, if there is a problem with the connection but the machine was able to associate with the router it will show the bars with a little exclamation mark.

smurf
30-07-2011, 11:27 AM
My Acer laptop has a wireless switch.......I presume your has one too and no doubt you will have checked to see if it is switched on ... :)

feersumendjinn
30-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Take it back and get them to fix it?
When they reassembled it after cleaning, perhaps they didnt reconnect the wireless card and/or its aerial (or broke it :eek:).

Tplw9
30-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Check you don't have proxy server checked. Worked for me!

:pf1mobmini:

inphinity
30-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Does it see any wireless networks? Does it prompt you for the security key when you try to connect? Does it give an error?

Winston001
30-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Accidentally brushing the wireless button on your laptop keyboard and turning it off is a common experience. Perplexing and oh so simple. How do I know...? :D

02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
"recently took it to be cleaned out"

did you spill stuff in it ?? if so , what ??
was it a clean out of virus's ??
cleanout of Windows??