PDA

View Full Version : Fixed the last of my Systray problems (missing arrows/chevrons)

Billy T
29-07-2011, 01:48 PM
To get these back you simply have to make one of the displayed items "Always Hide".

How counter-intuitive is that!!! :mad:

This requires a right-click on bottom task bar, then select Properties, click on the Customise Tab (next to Hide Inactive Icons). Select one of the items and change it to "Always Hide". Click Apply. click OK. You don't even lose the hidden Icon, it still shows if you click on the chevrons to expand the tray.

I don't understand why such simple issues have to be so difficult to resolve, surely MS could have included this in its Help files? It doesn't even appear in any of the published books on XP and I have a few volumes of that type.

I guess you just have to be in the know, so heaven help me when I have to move up from XP! The journey from DOS 6.11 through Win 3.0, WFWG 3.11, W95, W98, W2K and on to Xp has been (put very politely) interesting!! and I still have to maintain a working knowledge of DOS, WFWG, W95 and W2K.

Thanks to all who followed this saga and gave helpful advice.

I think I'll go out now and find a cat to kick. :badpc:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

inphinity
29-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Given the arrows are to expand the tray to show hidden icons, by design the arrows won't appear if there are no hidden icons - there's nothing hidden for them to display

Billy T
29-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Given the arrows are to expand the tray to show hidden icons, by design the arrows won't appear if there are no hidden icons - there's nothing hidden for them to display

Sound logic, but it didn't seem to work that way for me. All icons were not viewable until the extension of the display was enabled. Perhaps I had a few too many in there, but nonetheless they should have been viewable if the system met the logical spec you describe, which makes good sense to me by the way. However, all's well that ends well.

The key objective for me was to be able to hide or display Systray icons at will, and the main issue was finding how to get that option back and from my web searches it seems I was not alone in that.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)