PDA

View Full Version : Viewing overseas TV Shows - where

Morgenmuffel
29-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Ok, crap weather and a nagging bug have forced me to watch a bit more TV than usual, but with 10 or so channels there is

a) 90% crap
b) The good shows are all on at the same time

I have been using ondemand a bit, but are there any other similar services that actually work in NZ

I have found a pile of older shows that i would like to see (pretty sure none have been shown here)

Veritas: the quest
Threshhold
Starhunter (both versions)
Jerimiah
Never mind the Buzzcocks

I find some of them on various streaming platforms, BUT they don't work for NZ.

Any suggestions

gary67
29-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I just found the series 19 of never mind with new presenter Chris Moyles and watched the first 5 mins, there out there just takes a bit of searching

feersumendjinn
29-07-2011, 08:23 PM
You do realise that downloading content from Torrent sites is illegal, thus we may not speak of such things ;).
And remember, from 1st September, if you are caught, you may have to give up your first-born under pain of death (ok, I'm exaggerating (slightly)).

goodiesguy
29-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I guarantee that when september 1st comes, people are gonna deliberately download torrents.

feersumendjinn
29-07-2011, 11:50 PM
prolly

The Error Guy
30-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Clearbits :D but as far as the law goes it only affects you if the copyright holders make a claim. Once they hear of the law they will be queing for claims.

The one thing is a believe streaming is still legal. Now i'm not sure on the legalities but I think streaming a TV show is *possibly* legal. Not sure on that though. If I missed say a episode of my show I would consider it ethical and legal to stream it for one time viewing. I'm not sure if it is though. Will have to check.

Paul.Cov
30-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Well, isn't streaming quite different from torrents in that you are not serving up any of that content, you are simply receiving a fairly public feed from another source. The person initiating the stream may be a target for copyright holders. I really don't see the recipients of the stream as likely targets.

Torrents however involve giving up as much as you receive, and a tad more... you receive a complete copy and send an incomplete fragmented copy.

The interesting thing with torrents is that you do not give out a complete copy. You give out fragments, and a very incomplete set of fragments, and also with those fragments passed to a number of people.

It's analogous to getting ten 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles, mixing all the pieces together, drawing out at random 1025 pieces (and discarding the remaining bits), and passing those 1025 pieces out to a dozen other recipients who ask for those specific pieces. By no stretch of the imagination has anyone got anywhere close to a complete jigsaw from you. At best they may have a tenth of a puzzle, all fragmented, and useless as a jigsaw.
Also useless as a media file without the cooperation of a dozen other people to give up a few 'pieces'.

You haven't really shared a file. You've shared bits of a file, sometimes the same bit over and over, but never a complete entire file.

SP8's
30-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice to see that Paul has been working so diligently on his courtroom defence in preparation for the 1st September :D

paulw
30-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Instead of the idiot US content providers going about this they way they are there is a perfect business opportunity to sell the likes of up to-date US and UK TV shows here within a few weeks of being shown in the country of origin.

Oh wait. There's a gorilla in the corner called TVNZ and Mediaworks..

goodiesguy
30-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Instead of the idiot US content providers going about this they way they are there is a perfect business opportunity to sell the likes of up to-date US and UK TV shows here within a few weeks of being shown in the country of origin.

Oh wait. There's a gorilla in the corner called TVNZ and Mediaworks..

within a few weeks????

I can watch the latest south park episodes within hours of them airing in america.

paulw
30-07-2011, 01:18 PM
within a few weeks????

I can watch the latest south park episodes within hours of them airing in america.

So can I and I do but I was referring to legit pay TV shows..

Morgenmuffel
25-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Erm i wasn't after illegal sites, i was after legal sites, i just assumed there would be some sort of ad-supported thingie for those shows that NZ networks aren't interested in.

Really wishing prime had an on demand thing, really want to see Filthy Cities tonight, but will probably end up watching Chuck with wifey

stu161204
26-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Really wishing prime had an on demand thing,

Thatís one problem with Prime been in bed with Sky as Prime does have a on demand, but its Sky's on demand service, and you have to be a Sky user to access it!