PDA

View Full Version : Two User Accounts accessing a single common desktop

Paul.Cov
29-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi Folks,

What I want to achieve is to have my two logins (User accounts) on this W7 machine accessing the same single desktop. Don't confuse this with a remote access facility, which I don't want to enable.

ie if I log in with the more secure non-admin profile I want to see the same desktop files, shortcuts etc that I get when I log in as Admin.

Is there a simple way to achieve this? I feel it should be a common issue, but I've failed to find much about it on the net.

Thanks.

pctek
29-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Yeah, just set both desktops up the same.

SolMiester
29-07-2011, 08:17 AM
The only way they can have a common desktop is if all the icons are in the all users desktop folder, however other than that, AFAIK, it is impossible to share a desktop space.

MushHead
29-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Use an NTFS Junction? Just throwing that thought out there - it may have (a LOT) of ramifications...

There could be a Registry hack that sets up the default Desktop folder - you could then point it to the Admin desktop folder (or vice-versa).

linw
29-07-2011, 11:37 AM
But it is not just the desktop. There is heaps of other stuff in a profile, not to mention the security that stops one user peeping into other user's files.

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2011, 11:39 AM
From the Administrative account, put things in the "All Users" desktop, and it'll show on both.

MushHead
29-07-2011, 03:23 PM
But it is not just the desktop. There is heaps of other stuff in a profile, not to mention the security that stops one user peeping into other user's files.

I was meaning use a junction on just the Desktop folder, not %USERPROFILE%. Permissions might be a b***h, though.

There is a user Registry setting that may do what you want. Take a look at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Not sure if it does anything, or just lets the system know the folders are "special" to Explorer.

Chill's "All Users" desktop folder suggestion certainly looks safer!

linw
29-07-2011, 05:29 PM
All Users may be fine for programs but what about all the data settings in a normal user profile? Like where is the Picasa database for example??

Perhaps someone can demonstrate a solution? Good luck to the OP, anyway.

Paul.Cov
29-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks folks.

I'm surprised there isn't a known method to achieve this.

However, the trick of dragging everything from each Desktop to the All Users Desktop will do for my needs. Kinda wish I'd thought of that myself. D'oh!

Cheers
:D

inphinity
29-07-2011, 08:33 PM
There isn't a standard method because it breaks a lot of permissions and security policy guidelines, heh - sharing stuff across accounts is exactly what All Users is all about ;)